Boris Becker Sentenced to 2.5 years in prison

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Boris Becker Sentenced to 2.5 years in prison

Post by Doc67 »

Boris Becker jailed for two years for hiding assets after bankruptcy

(They put the wrong Boris in prison...)
Boris Becker has been jailed for two years and six months for hiding millions of pounds’ worth of assets after being made bankrupt in June 2017.
The former tennis star, sentenced under the Insolvency Act, will serve half the full prison term. He was found guilty of four charges by a jury at Southwark crown court this month but acquitted of a further 20 counts relating to his 2017 bankruptcy. He had faced a maximum prison sentence of seven years.

He has some form viz a viz money, deception and government authorities:

Becker was handed a two-year suspended sentence for tax evasion and attempted tax evasion worth €1.7m (about £1.4m) in Germany in 2002. Referring to that conviction, the judge said: “You did not heed the warning you were given and the chance you were given by the suspended sentence and that is a significant aggravating factor.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... bankruptcy
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Boris Becker Sentenced to 2.5 years in prison

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Nobody cares about the victims, so no shame. Assuming he is doing his time in Blighty, a year of ordering surf and turf, in Forest Bank Resort, was probably worth the gamble.

Germany also has very comfortable camps to be a little inconvenienced in, where escaping is not illegal, due to it being a human instinct to want your freedom. But it's probably because noone wants to.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Character-wise, he has had it coming for a long time, no doubt about that. I'm quite pleased that he didn't get a pass (once again) just because he used to be a great tennis player.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

I was visiting Germany in 1985, coming from Kenya. I had absolutely no idea who Boris "Bobbele" Becker was. I do remember going to the local lake on a beautiful Sunday afternoon near the town of Leimen, where he was from. I was surprised that I was virtually the only person at that lake, a lake that is usually crowded. I went to get a beer and asked what the heck was happening. The lady went "Bobbele is playing!!!". She thought I was taking the piss when I said that I had no effing clue who or what she was talking about.

Anyway, kind of sad to see the arguably best player of the time finishing up like this, but then he has been on a downwards spiral for decades.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:46 amGermany also has very comfortable camps to be a little inconvenienced in, where escaping is not illegal, due to it being a human instinct to want your freedom. But it's probably because noone wants to.
I think this is the second time you mention this this week. Whilst it is not illegal to try and escape, any property damage or violence will be punished. It will also be considered when the next parole hearing comes up, impacting the chances of an early release. I take it that, in your opinion, all prisons should be third-world hell-holes?
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Alex wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:06 pm Character-wise, he has had it coming for a long time, no doubt about that. I'm quite pleased that he didn't get a pass (once again) just because he used to be a great tennis player.
He might have got up to 20 passes.

Possibly one that he had to go down for, due to some indefensible evidence like a list headed "Stuff I have hidden from my bankruptcy declaration," and signed off with a thumb print. Then they slapped him with others (3) with the same degree of punishment, and made all his sentences concurrent.

"Now go and do your time, Mr Becker. You should be just in time for the Rolf Harris Show, and I hear they just got in some fresh Ahi Tuna. And tomorrow there's a tennis tournament; everyone versus you."
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Silly bugger should have just left the UK; but I guess it must be hard to pass up the TV cash

Boris is one of those unusual Germans with a decent sense of humour; I like the skinny pube haired fish eyed chancer
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

hanno wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:27 pm
Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:46 amGermany also has very comfortable camps to be a little inconvenienced in, where escaping is not illegal, due to it being a human instinct to want your freedom. But it's probably because noone wants to.
I think this is the second time you mention this this week. Whilst it is not illegal to try and escape, any property damage or violence will be punished. It will also be considered when the next parole hearing comes up, impacting the chances of an early release. I take it that, in your opinion, all prisons should be third-world hell-holes?
At least twice. No need for damage, just walk out, and they already had an early release. What could, and I imagine would, happen is they are promoted to a maximum-security challenge.

Postings can be ambiguous and construed erroneously, case in hand; IMO, third-world hell-holes don't seem to be a deterrent to those deserved of a fiery pit.
Contrary to your take, I'm all for Club Feds, with continuous activities to lessen aggression, private bathrooms, outdoor visitations (indoor if necessary) and a humane approach to rehabilitation and education (social and academic) and other innovative experiments like businesses behind the walls or doing something for others.

If this doesn't lower recidivism, we'll tick it off as a successful experiment to prove scumbags will fake anything to get back out to the hunting grounds, sell the prison farms to Marriott International Inc., and chuck them back in the hole.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

hanno wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:24 pm I was visiting Germany in 1985, coming from Kenya. I had absolutely no idea who Boris "Bobbele" Becker was. I do remember going to the local lake on a beautiful Sunday afternoon near the town of Leimen, where he was from. I was surprised that I was virtually the only person at that lake, a lake that is usually crowded. I went to get a beer and asked what the heck was happening. The lady went "Bobbele is playing!!!". She thought I was taking the piss when I said that I had no effing clue who or what she was talking about.

Anyway, kind of sad to see the arguably best player of the time finishing up like this, but then he has been on a downwards spiral for decades.
"...a downward spiral for decades" shows how high up he was. I would be on a downward spiral for about six days before I'd hit rock!
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:26 pm
hanno wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:24 pm I was visiting Germany in 1985, coming from Kenya. I had absolutely no idea who Boris "Bobbele" Becker was. I do remember going to the local lake on a beautiful Sunday afternoon near the town of Leimen, where he was from. I was surprised that I was virtually the only person at that lake, a lake that is usually crowded. I went to get a beer and asked what the heck was happening. The lady went "Bobbele is playing!!!". She thought I was taking the piss when I said that I had no effing clue who or what she was talking about.

"...a downward spiral for decades" shows how high up he was. I would be on a downward spiral for about six days before I'd hit rock!
I am not a tennis fan but he was the biggest star in Germany for years, along with Steffi Graf. But after he ended his tennis career, everything he touched (car dealerships, professional poker, sex in a broom cabinet) went toxic. I think that he is probably not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic