Insurance or GoFundMe?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Insurance or GoFundMe?

Post by atst »

Without derailing another thread. Should people hope family or friends or even strangers will cough up money you didn't what to, to insure yourself, to pay for your medical expenses in an accident or any other difficulty you may find yourself in while enjoying your travels.
In Australia we have floods and bushfires, and then donations to help those uninsured when they lose their homes, are the insured looked on by the uninsured as suckers?
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Insurance or GoFundMe?

Post by GMJS-CEO »

I am big on the "pro-insurance" side of this. I posted in another thread the rates for some higher deductible coverage for someone 50 years old male, something like $800 per year, or $900 a year for $1K deductible coverage in Southeast Asia. Pretty cheap I think.

I mentioned in these forums a few times before, I had coverage and had a moto accident. Got covered for over $100K costs.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

I believe individuals should be responsible for themselves when they are in a foreign country also, but everyone’s situation is different. I’m fortunate that my BCBS will cover me anywhere in the world no matter my age. I know in some countries expat insurance companies will cut foreigners off after a certain age, or their premiums will be so high that it’s not sustainable. So it’s definitely a tricky situation.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

An insurance cover with a high deductible (like a few thousands) is affordable for most travellers. So in case the shit hits the fan you just need to finance a max of 5000 which is doable in most cases.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I've always had insurance. I think everyone should get accident insurance at the very least, especially those who are otherwise uninsurable.

Honestly, how many of those who claim that they "self-insure" REALLY have the required funds, readily available? I have my doubts more often than not, whenever I'm listening to someone making that claim. To be fair, I think it's wishful thinking rather than bollocks in most cases.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

I think there are two kinds of world explorers. One, ready for anything. Insured, careful, prepared. The other, traveling on a shoestring, breaking all the rules, and expecting someone else to pick up the pieces should things go wrong. Similar to the lives they led back in their home country.

As a tourist traveller only, I carry my BCBS, plus enough funds to get back home if something happens.

And if don’t make it, I made sure the missus will be cared for.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

For those of us fortunate to have been born and brought up in a country with 'free' healthcare, (of course it's not free, you pay for it through your taxes, but you get my point) living in a country where you have to provide your own healthcare, either via insurance or personal expenses, is a strange beast to get your head around.

In the UK for example, the doctor does not, and cannot profit in any way from your medical condition. It's just not the way it works. Your doctor can't profit from pretending that you have medical conditions that don't exist in the way that if you take your car in for repair, the mechanic might assume you're some sort of idiot and give you a list of fabricated 'faults' with your car in order to get you to pay more for repairs that aren't necessary.

That's not the way the healthcare system works in the UK. But when us Brits move abroad, and are faced with the reality that that's how much of the rest of the world works, it can be quite a shock.

Most Brits don't really understand medical insurance. We know we need it, but it's something we're not familiar with, not in the same way the Americans are for example. We know we need it, we know that the NHS doesn't work out here, but the whole concept of paying for medical care is quite new to most Brits.

People from countries such as the UK are more likely to 'leave it to chance' because it's in our culture that somebody, somewhere will somehow take care of us. Even if we know that's not going to be true in a real emergency.

I'm certain that if anyone took the time to check out these 'GoFundMe' petitions, you'll find that most of them are from people from countries where healthcare is free.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Alex wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:45 pm I've always had insurance. I think everyone should get accident insurance at the very least, especially those who are otherwise uninsurable.

Honestly, how many of those who claim that they "self-insure" REALLY have the required funds, readily available? I have my doubts more often than not, whenever I'm listening to someone making that claim. To be fair, I think it's wishful thinking rather than bollocks in most cases.
You got me thinking even if you had the funds, how are you going to access these when you're unconscious outside of a hospital, or even how can you let them know you're insured. (Am I thinking to much?)
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

to me i have never had insurance and would never start a go fund me page ( or allow anyone i know too) to cover medical costs

its like a khmer's use of mirrors.
never use them, an if a truck is coming when i pull out..... well its my karma

....The other, traveling on a shoestring, breaking all the rules, and expecting someone else to pick up the pieces should things go wrong
I never ever met anyone travelling on a shoestring, breaking all the rules ( whatever the fuck that means) ( and i met hundreds over the years) that would expect anyone to pick up the pieces ....
Although it really seldom came up in any conversation. :-)

“I'm the one that's got to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.”
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

atst wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:48 am
Alex wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:45 pm I've always had insurance. I think everyone should get accident insurance at the very least, especially those who are otherwise uninsurable.

You got me thinking even if you had the funds, how are you going to access these when you're unconscious outside of a hospital, or even how can you let them know you're insured. (Am I thinking to much?)
Great thread ATST.

This is a subject that is always tip-toed around when someone has a catastrophe, has no insurance and the Go Fund Me pages start. Nobody wants to point out the obvious such as, WTF didn't you have even the most basic of medical insurance? Especially the under 50's. I'm sorry but there is no excuse.

I arrived here in November 2017 with a 90 day travellers insurance policy which expired in January 2018. Shortly afterwards I heard of a man I barely knew who was hit by a schoolboy on a motorbike which broke his leg. It was not his fault and the little bastard picked himself and his bike up and buggered off sharpish.

He had no insurance, and no money (despite being gainfully employed for years) and I was asked to "chip in" as he's a good bloke and unless he gets his leg set he could die.

Get his leg "set"?? Are you kidding me? No, they weren't, he was languishing with a broken leg and without everyone's help he would have been f**ked. He got it set, eventually, but now walks with a terrible limp and I am convinced this was due to the delay and the lack of care and skill of the bargain basement medical treatment he managed to get.

The following day I made contact with AG Cambodia and by the end of the week I was covered and I never, ever, leave home without my insurance card.

You are correct ATST in being concerned regarding denial to medical care, especially in those first 60 minutes, even though you have a pile of dosh in the bank. If you are unconscious you can neither pay nor convince them you are good for the money. If your slush fund is tied up in fixed deposit accounts you can't access them unless you go to the branch. The healthcare available here is sketchy enough already, and anything remotely near what we would get in our home countries is unbelievably expensive.

Get insurance and carry proof of it at all times. Then you stand a 50/50 chance of getting proper treatment if disaster strikes.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic