Many young African men in Phnom Penh these days?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Many young African men in Phnom Penh these days?

Post by Clutch Cargo »

As another poster said, I disagree with the notion that there are 'many these days'. From what I've seen in Daun Penh over the last 2 yrs, there are much less than before since covid. So, I question the premise of this topic..
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Clutch Cargo wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:19 pm As another poster said, I disagree with the notion that there are 'many these days'. From what I've seen in Daun Penh over the last 2 yrs, there are much less than before since covid. So, I question the premise of this topic..
Yes, I agree. There used to be quite a few around the south of the city but I see very few nowadays. I know a couple of Nigerians well, both are very respectable and well educated.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:04 pm
Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:47 pm
John Bingham wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:17 pm Those guys were rounded up from a "church" that was behind my house in 2009. My house was an old place with a kitchen and bathroom in an extension at the back with a metal roof. The church used to be pretty noisy with hymns and singing. A whole lot of them didn't have visas. There was an illegal card game going on next door and they had a Vietnamese woman keeping a look out. When the police arrived en masse she thought they were raiding the gambling den so she panicked and jumped off the balcony. She went straight through my roof and ended up flailing about covered in blood on my kitchen floor. Some army guys came around and dragged her off. I was pissed off because when I got home my dinner was ruined.
Got home from where? Did you go too? Or you weren't home when it happened, and you had a slow cooker?
What were you having? Duck!

I'm serious because it's a good story; "another Vietnamese fell through my roof today"
I was at work. The missus was cooking. I went back to Europe for a week the next morning for 10 days and it was repaired while I was gone. It was lucky she didn't land on my kid or anyone else.
Of course. Not everyone lives alone, only having hooded, transcribed contact with others.

Was lucky. The noise must have given them fright, then a double-bagger when they saw her, then the army: Somebody knocks on my door, I almost jump out of my secretary.

Let me get this straight. You can just approach other household members anytime and start talking? That's great. I have got to one of those. :chin:
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:09 pm
Cooldude wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:53 pm saw this conversation go down on soi 11 back in the day

OP - "what are you doing in Cambodia?"

AM - 'business"

OP - "what sort of business"

AM - "business" scratchers nose

Back in the day, if a person couldn't find what they were looking for on Soi 11, they didn't need it.
I couldn't find Soy 11
Thats because its miles away :D Go along the Russian Boulevard until you reach Potchentong Airport then keep going until you reach Chom Chao Circle Garden. Then get off Russian Boulevard and get on to Veng Sreng Boulevard which is on your left (south) go along this road for ever passing Canacity Market, Pass Veng Sreng Pizza Company on a street to your left. The next street on your right is a street with Phear Roth Restaurant, then the next street on your right is street 11, It’s a short street with nothing there. :? :? However there are a lot of coffee shops in the area if you're into that sort of thing :Yahoo!:

I think he is confusing street 11 with "Kilo 11" :lol:
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

Are we talking about those hard-working African gentlemen that hang around the G-Pub? Honest as the day is long..if you live in Finland.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Isn't it interesting how assessing probabilities is a highly valued skill in most forms of human activity but is vilified and even criminalised when applied to race, gender, trans stuff etc?

So, if you run a business you need to make judgments based on probabilities, you may be wrong but mostly you will be right. A restaurant ordering the right beer or type of food etc. Or if you play blackjack you don't double down on a 6 when the dealer has a King. You might be wrong on that one occasion but that is the way to play the game successfully. Same with investment, nothing is certain, your skill is in successfully applying the right probabilities. Same with medicine, doctors are treating patients on the basis of likely probabilities. It's often impossible to know for sure so they go with the most likely diagnosis. And, btw, that can be based on race because different races have different propensities to some diseases.

But when (in Western culture) you apply the same logic to race, gender etc in any social or economic activity, it gets given a nasty name, stereotyping. And people say you mustn't do it and you can be sued or prosecuted for doing it. Unless of course the stereotype paints the race or sex in a good light!

I get it that it is tough for people who get judged (unnfavourably) on the basis of race or sex. We need to encorage people to treat generalisations with caution, not abandon them. Meanwhile of course it is entirely acceptable to stereotype older people as being racist etc. Funny how that works.

If you go around Cambodia treating African guys without any preconceived caution, is that being virtuous, or naive and asking for trouble?
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

It’s not being virtuous or naïve, but it is being judgmental and closed minded.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:30 pm
John Bingham wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:17 pm Those guys were rounded up from a "church" that was behind my house in 2009. My house was an old place with a kitchen and bathroom in an extension at the back with a metal roof. The church used to be pretty noisy with hymns and singing. A whole lot of them didn't have visas. There was an illegal card game going on next door and they had a Vietnamese woman keeping a look out. When the police arrived en masse she thought they were raiding the gambling den so she panicked and jumped off the balcony. She went straight through my roof and ended up flailing about covered in blood on my kitchen floor. Some army guys came around and dragged her off. I was pissed off because when I got home my dinner was ruined.
Got home from where? Did you go too? Or you weren't home when it happened, and you had a slow cooker?

I'm serious because it's a good story; "another Vietnamese fell through my roof today"
I was at work. The missus was cooking. I went back to Europe for a week the next morning for 10 days and it was repaired while I was gone. It was lucky she didn't land on my kid or anyone else.
Of course. Not everyone lives alone, only having hooded, transcribed contact with others.

Was lucky. The noise must have given them fright, then a double-bagger when they saw her, then the army: Somebody knocks on my door, I almost jump out of my secretary.

Let me get this straight. You can just approach other household members anytime and start talking? That's great. I have got to one of those. :chin:
It's like a cryptic crossword puzzle...
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Doc67 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:26 am

How did you go?
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 6:49 am
Doc67 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:26 am

How did you go?
Great, I went for lunch and a few :beer3:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic