Many young African men in Phnom Penh these days?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Many young African men in Phnom Penh these days?

Post by nemo »

There are 9 African countries that VOA is not available to. Reading several accounts on fb about nationals of those countries being turned away even when they have a visa obtained in their home country for lack of a letter called DGI or similar from some ministry. The first the victims hear of this letter is when they are refused entry.
In the cases I read, all the victims appeared to be genuine with offers of employment and all other required docs.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

It's worth noting that white Africans also face problems when trying to enter Cambodia.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:17 pm Those guys were rounded up from a "church" that was behind my house in 2009. My house was an old place with a kitchen and bathroom in an extension at the back with a metal roof. The church used to be pretty noisy with hymns and singing. A whole lot of them didn't have visas. There was an illegal card game going on next door and they had a Vietnamese woman keeping a look out. When the police arrived en masse she thought they were raiding the gambling den so she panicked and jumped off the balcony. She went straight through my roof and ended up flailing about covered in blood on my kitchen floor. Some army guys came around and dragged her off. I was pissed off because when I got home my dinner was ruined.
Got home from where? Did you go too? Or you weren't home when it happened, and you had a slow cooker?
What were you having? Duck!

I'm serious because it's a good story; "another Vietnamese fell through my roof today"
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
crob
Expatriate
Australia

Post by crob »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:57 pm
BraveMM1990 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:42 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:38 pm
BraveMM1990 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:29 pm Now this is not meant to be a racist threat or anything like that but I am just very curious as to something I have noticed in Phnom Penh after staying here for a few weeks now.

There are lots of African males, mostly young, around and I really wonder what it is that they are doing here. I have been to Africa myself in the past and find them to be a little...weird? They certainly don't fit the mold of "wealthy African" travelling around SEA and seem more like street hustlers to me.

They obviously aren't tourists so how do they make money here? I have noticed they often hang around in groups or have Khmer girlfriends (often old).

People told me they sell drugs, is that really all it is? Why is this tolerated here?
There's African females here too bro :OD:

There are Africans of all shapes, sizes, nationalities and colours here

Like any other group of expats some are highly successful, some are scraping the bottom of the barrel, some are legitimate immigrants and some are criminals

What part of Phnom Penh do you hang around in?
I used to stay at Urban Village in the past now Russian Market. Especially at Urban Village it's crazy how many Africans there are. More than white people or at least equal. Always males in their 20s or 30s looking broke ... How do they even afford to stay there is what I am wondering.
Buy them a beer and ask them if you are so curious
saw this conversation go down on soi 11 back in the day

OP - "what are you doing in Cambodia?"

AM - 'business"

OP - "what sort of business"

AM - "business" scratchers nose
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:44 pm It's worth noting that white Africans also face problems when trying to enter Cambodia.
Correct.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

saw this conversation go down on soi 11 back in the day

AM - 'business"

Back in the day, if a person couldn't find what they were looking for on Soi 11, they didn't need it.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Bongmab69 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:02 pm
Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:39 pm
Bongmab69 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:03 pm I think they all work in Rose-bar on 104 !! ??
They seem to spend a lot of time upstairs and might have a piece of the action. They don't seem to smile much, at me anyway, which is surprising considering the perfume they all seem to be wearing.

"Immigration makes it difficult for them to enter."

And exit.
thats not perfume, they just smell like that i would think !!
No, I've seen them passing it from the left-hand side.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Username Taken wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:01 pm
Doc67 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:21 pm
Username Taken wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:00 pm
BraveMM1990 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:49 pm
hanno wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:19 pm
Go to other areas (well, at least pre-Covid) and they would have been full of white males in their 20's or 30's looking broke. And parts of Riverside are full of white males in their 50's or 6 60's looking broke....
Of course, but it's obvious why they are here ... The (west) Africans however are probably not here for a vacation and I don't think they are here for paid sex either. Although I have seen plenty of broke looking Africans with rich-looking women so it seems like some of them are here for that, although the roles are reversed.
Ok, go ahead with the stereotype. Why are they here? :popcorn:
He seems to be very clued up about the sexual activities of these Africans and their gigolo status.
Get a tan.
A couple of others have replied to this and also missed my point.

If you read Hanno's post, he's talking about broke white guys.

The OP then states "but it's obvious why they are here", referring to the white guys, as he then says, "The (west) Africans however".

I was interested to know why the OP thinks that it's obvious why the white guys are here.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:47 pm
John Bingham wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:17 pm Those guys were rounded up from a "church" that was behind my house in 2009. My house was an old place with a kitchen and bathroom in an extension at the back with a metal roof. The church used to be pretty noisy with hymns and singing. A whole lot of them didn't have visas. There was an illegal card game going on next door and they had a Vietnamese woman keeping a look out. When the police arrived en masse she thought they were raiding the gambling den so she panicked and jumped off the balcony. She went straight through my roof and ended up flailing about covered in blood on my kitchen floor. Some army guys came around and dragged her off. I was pissed off because when I got home my dinner was ruined.
Got home from where? Did you go too? Or you weren't home when it happened, and you had a slow cooker?
What were you having? Duck!

I'm serious because it's a good story; "another Vietnamese fell through my roof today"
I was at work. The missus was cooking. I went back to Europe for a week the next morning for 10 days and it was repaired while I was gone. It was lucky she didn't land on my kid or anyone else.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cooldude wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:53 pm saw this conversation go down on soi 11 back in the day

AM - 'business"

Back in the day, if a person couldn't find what they were looking for on Soi 11, they didn't need it.
I couldn't find Soy 11
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic