Watching the girls: Preemptive measures taken against sex predators

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Watching the girls: Preemptive measures taken against sex predators

Post by Freightdog »

Username Taken wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:06 pm
Doc67 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:11 pm
Spigzy wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:11 am I don't think this is limited to Cambodia to be honest. In my day I'd walk 4-5 miles to school (UK), I wouldn't dream of letting my son do that exact same route nowadays, let alone my daughter.
4-5 miles? Luxury!

In my day I had to walk 10 miles a day with no shoes on, on a gravel path and 3 inches of snow.
I'd be willing to bet it was uphill both ways too. :popcorn:
With a headwind!
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Freightdog wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:14 pm
Spigzy wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:11 am I don't think this is limited to Cambodia to be honest. In my day I'd walk 4-5 miles to school (UK), I wouldn't dream of letting my son do that exact same route nowadays, let alone my daughter.
4-5 miles? Luxury!

In my day I had to walk 10 miles a day with no shoes on, on a gravel path and 3 inches of snow.
With a headwind!
Luxury.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Spigzy wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:45 pm Image

;)
I've studied that route and there is not a single country that I would want to set foot in, within the exception of two: Israel and Egypt, and I have already been to both!
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Chad Sexington wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:16 pm
4-5 miles? Luxury!

With a headwind!
Luxury.
Well, we derailed this thread pretty quickly :D
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:33 pm

4-5 miles? Luxury!

With a headwind!
Luxury.
Well, we derailed this thread pretty quickly :D
I’ll try and get it back on track.
In my day (1970’s) it felt pretty safe for kids walking to and from school (North East England) and I think it was mainly due to the fact that practically every kid walked, usually in large groups, there was safety in numbers, and there was always plenty of older siblings of the younger kids in the mix acting as a deterrent (kids were tougher then, and I don’t doubt that, 2 or 3 strong, some of the 15-16 year old big brothers of my peers would have given any “dodgy” adult a very tough time if they’d tried any “funny business”
In recent decades, the trend for the majority of kids being driven to and from school by parents, has left the minority walkers vulnerable.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Where?

The article has mentioned ‘some state schools’, and quoted the vice principle of a high school. With some detective work, it might be possible to track down which school in the latter case. There’s a couple of students named specifically, which is odd.

There’s no doubt that there’s a problem regarding children’s safety countrywide, but the article almost gives an impression of gangs of predators behind every bush, in every shadow, in every school, followed by some pretty slack advice- don’t come to school too early, don’t loiter after school too long.
It’s quite a scare tactic, in the absence of a far better process of educating children about all risks, from crossing roads safely, to cycling to school responsibly, to being wary of predators. The latter having the risk that it is quite likely someone who they may be familiar with. Only loosely touched upon in the article by some boys harassing some girls.

There’s a good chance that I’m wrong, but I sense an alarming article based on some valid points, but which fundamentally may have people looking in the wrong places.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

More often than not, it's the creepy guy living next door.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

4-5 miles? Luxury!

how old are you methusalem ?
work is for people who cant find truffles
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Exactly. The only difference is they have taken this long to send the warning here. You would be incredibly irresponsible to gamble that a predator isn't circling, wherever you are in the world.

The change that is a shame, mainly due to computers, losing some bark from roof-jumping, tree-climbing, building huts, backyard mudslides and indoor equestrian. These are where we got our adventurers from.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

4-5 miles? Luxury!

With a headwind!
Luxury.
I too have encountered discomfort, when all the Lincolns were in use, and I was considering taking one of the stallions to school. Fortunately Alfred dropped me off in the chopper, on time.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic