New British Ambassador Appointed to Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: New British Ambassador Appointed to Cambodia

Post by Doc67 »

Hmmm, Desk Duties, Sri Lanka, more Desk Duties, Peru, Nigeria and now Cambodia.

And you thought Tina was 3rd rate. :facepalm:
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

The only way he could possibly be any worse than Tina would be if we all somehow fell into another dimension of time and space whereby the physical properties of that universe gave rise to, and made possible the fact, that he could actually be of less use than the current plank of wood given the title of ambassador.

Because it's near-on impossible to see how he could be of any less use as an ambassador than the current one given the properties of this universe.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Artisan
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Artisan »

As a non-UK resident the British Embassy was extremely helpful providing me an emergency passport in 2016.
Slagging of a person before he even has done anything (in his official role) looks a bit odd, although that seems to be the way nowadays on forums like these where people hide behind a pseudonym and a keyboard.
Why don't all UK chaps here in La Bodge ask for a meet and greet with the newly appointed Ambassador and ask him (wo)man to man what he can accomplish here whilst doing his job?
Hell, you can even question him in Khmer since he has been studying the language, which shows to me his dedication.
pebbles&nightsky
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Artisan wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:02 pm As a non-UK resident the British Embassy was extremely helpful providing me an emergency passport in 2016.
Has a British resident the British Embassy last year would not allow me on their grounds.

So what of Tina, where has she gone? Is she to run for British Premier?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Doc67 wrote:Hmmm, Desk Duties, Sri Lanka, more Desk Duties, Peru, Nigeria and now Cambodia.

And you thought Tina was 3rd rate. :facepalm:
Cambodia isn't exactly where you send your seasoned diplomats... It's where they gain experience and work their way to more prestigious and politically important locations.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Hell, you can even question him in Khmer since he has been studying the language, which shows to me his dedication.
[/quote]

Did he do this in his own time, or has that actually been his full time paid occupation? If the latter, not exactly that much dedication.
tears_in_rain
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by tears_in_rain »

The British embassy is among the worst in the world. They still think that we are living in the days of the Empire, and any British citizen, who has transgressed abroad, has disgraced the Empire. Fucking useless!

And it's always the same, smugg, public school types, who work in the embassy. Utterly indifferent to the concerns of the British people abroad.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

tears_in_rain wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:55 pm The British embassy is among the worst in the world. They still think that we are living in the days of the Empire, and any British citizen, who has transgressed abroad, has disgraced the Empire. Fucking useless!

And it's always the same, smugg, public school types, who work in the embassy. Utterly indifferent to the concerns of the British people abroad.
Yes, I'm not a British subject but many friends who are have said the same as above - hence my initial post.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

tears_in_rain wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:55 pm The British embassy is among the worst in the world. They still think that we are living in the days of the Empire, and any British citizen, who has transgressed abroad, has disgraced the Empire. Fucking useless!

It’s a curious thing- over the past 2 decades, I have had to deal with an US embassy directly on a small number of occasions, and each time I was actually face to face, person to person, with a US national, and in the main it was clear, concise communication; maybe a bit of Americanese.
I have had to deal with an UK embassy roughly an equal number of times, and never once did I discuss anything directly, person to person, with an UK national, only an employee from the local community. Communication was generally poor because of the language barrier, and misinterpretation of their own rules and procedures based on that language barrier and confused bureaucracy.

When dealing with the Irish embassy, I was dealing with someone by telephone, long distance, but someone Irish all the same.

That says a lot to me. Shit happens, and sometimes you need to be able to get in contact with someone for assistance. When abroad, I would put contacting the UK embassy very low down on my list of resources. I’d be more inclined to walk into somewhere like Larry’s, Harry’s or shenanigans and get some constructive guidance over a pint. At the very least, I could get an appointment this week.
Fortunately, I’ve rarely needed anything urgently other than a replacement passport, (I won’t go into dealing with Arab police) but I’m lucky to have dual nationality. Looking at the UK response to repatriation during the initial COVID fiasco, they’ve done little to instil, let alone restore confidence.

But, the new incumbent may be a very different character from the outgoing one.
It will be very interesting to see how this pans out.
Last edited by Freightdog on Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic