Another motorcycle license thread

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Apparition
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Another motorcycle license thread

Post by Apparition »

In the case of my insurance, it covers motorcycles, no exclusions regarding licences, only riding under the influence.

@AndyKK Which insurer did you go for? I'd want to insure any bike I invested in.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Apparition wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:15 pm In the case of my insurance, it covers motorcycles, no exclusions regarding licences, only riding under the influence.

@AndyKK Which insurer did you go for? I'd want to insure any bike I invested in.
I went with Infinity, @$75 3rd party, add on top of that $100+ for personal injury.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

For the 10 years license, is there a VIP option that allows you to pass the tests without attending? I'd be willing to show up for the photo but that's about it.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Apparition this should help you -

Driving License in Cambodia.
Hi everyone,
Having a foreign license? Convert it!
Passing the test in Cambodia? See how below!
From yearly renewal to 10 years valid Cambodian license.
How to do step by step!
Cheers!
DDC Daily Drive Cambodia - motorcycles
23 September 2020 ·
Foreign driving license conversion and Cambodian license renewal. As explained on CNM Motors page). Link
FOR PASSING THE DRIVING TEST for a 10 years validity license please follow this link instead (for motorcycles) or read all below:
###
PLEASE INFORM US OF ANY UPDATE to provide the best information. We will update it here below:
###
Source CNM Motors 2017 (recent change or update in parenthesis).
[A step-by step guide for expats applying for or renewing a Cambodian driving license in person.
New applications should take around one hour from start-to-finish, and cost $11.50.
Renewals should take roughly 40 minutes, and cost $10.25 only (update: 2020 is $33).
ALL new or old applicants must attend in person with required documents, and complete a simple medical examination.
Aeon Mall 2 Sen Sok City, located here:
https://goo.gl/maps/X58vsCU4Nbo
Monday - Friday ONLY.
OR
General Department Of Public Works and Transport office, located here: https://goo.gl/maps/yAA7n5gRFqw
both locations are CLOSED on weekends, and CLOSED 11:30am till 2:00pm for lunch break everyday.
Documents required: original passport + one copy, current valid visa + one copy, your original valid driving license from your home-country (both documents should be from the same country), 2 passport photos with white background, residence certificate specifically for driving licenses (which is provided from local Sangkat office – applicants should approach landlord for assistance with this).
For renewals; residence certificate is also required, however can be avoided if you have previously submitted one since the change of laws and remain at the same home address.You will also have to submit your expired Cambodian license.
Unfortunately this department is no longer issuing Chinese expatriates Cambodian licenses without completing a driving test.
If your license from your home-country does not contain English language at all, you must receive a translation from your embassy to submit along with your application.
If you do not have an embassy in Cambodia, you can send to an embassy nearby for translation, or simply sit the test for the 10-year license (see here
All licenses for expats are valid for one year only.
Aeon Mall 2 Sen Sok City is the preferred location for expats to complete license conversions or renewals, as they offer a higher quality service, and speak very good English. Please inquire within once you have obtained all the required paperwork.
If completing your application at the General Department Of Public Works and Transport office, follow these steps below;
1. Once you arrive, enter using the last entrance (2nd on your right). To the left of the testing station is a group of buildings. Enter through the red door. This is the waiting area for people completing driving tests.
2. Follow the arrow on the right side. Enter the room on the left side (if you come in through the main entrance on the other side, its opposite). This is the medical checkup room. Office staff will ask your height and weight, and give you a simple eye test. They will complete some forms for you. You need to give them 1 passport photo and 10,000 riel only.
3. Leave the way you entered. Walk straight ahead, past the Wing shop, and look for the Driving License Office on the left hand side. Go to the last window on the right, and give your form from the medical test, your old license (if renewing), 2 remaining passport photos, and your passport along with the copies.
4. They will request that you go inside, where your paperwork is checked and approved by 4 different people, and then given to a data entry member of staff, who will prepare your application whilst you sit outside and wait.
5. You will be called to get your paperwork, sign your name on the docs, then take it to the Wing kiosk outside and transfer the remaining 30,000 riel. Wing fee is 1,000 riel.
6. Return the form to the members of staff inside the glass room office. They will recheck it, then you wait while they print your new license. You need to sign a book confirming you have collected it.
The new licenses are paper cards in a plastic sheath. These cards have U.V watermarks, and are extremely waterproof.
Good luck]
Step-by-step Motorcycle License exam (10 years validity):
STEP-BY-STEP Guide for Completing a Motorcycle Driving Test for 10-Year License
Price: $25.00 for the exam fee (there are some other minor fees for medical exam and processing etc, totaling to just over $35.00)
Documentation required;
-Your original passport
-Photocopy of your passport (color or b/w)
-Photocopy of your current valid visa (color or b/w)
-Residence certificate / លិខិតបញ្ជាក់ទីលំនៅ (Completed at your local Sangkat office)
This is valid for 3 months only, and must be specific to applying for a motorcycle license
-4 passport photos (standard size is fine, they're not picky)
MPWT Opening hours (From Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 11:30am and 2pm to 5pm)
For MPWT license department inquires, call Reksmey Tel: 012 437 676
TIPS: Download the App, practice and revise:
Apple Store: https://apps.apple.com/.../cambodia-dri ... 1198756210
Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details...
* The APP is in both English and Khmer
MPWT Website:https://www.mpwt.gov.kh/en/public-servi ... -s-license
INSIDE🔥HOT🔥TIP ; focus only on the “Champion” section of the app for quick revision and mock tests.
STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE
1. Go to the MPWT license office – see dropped pin above (masks are currently mandatory for all visitors)
2. Submit your documents (as above) at the counter. MPWT staff will begin to prepare your application.
3. MPWT staff will direct you to complete a simple medical examination in nearby room (they will check your sight, height and weight; cost: 10,000r)
Examiner will issue a medical certificate when completed.
4. Proceed to the counter where directed. MPWT staff will give you a bill for $25.00 to pay through Wing. A receipt is issued by the Wing counter, and stapled into your application folder.
5. Return back to the main license counter, and arrange to sit the theory exam.
Theory exams begin from 10:00am only. The exam is multiple choice, and is very similar to the phone app you used to revise (see link above).
6. Log into the theory exam system to start the test. 30 correct answers out of 35 are required to successfully pass the exam. The exam takes roughly 30 mins to complete. Do not rush!
7. If you are successful, you will be directed by MPWT to schedule your practical exam. Practical exams do not start until 2pm. If you fail your theory exam, you will have to retake it at a minimum of 7 days after your first attempt.
8. Take the practical exam once your name has been called by MPWT staff. You can use your own motorcycle, as long as it is over 125cc. Your feet must not touch the floor when riding; only when starting and stopping. The course is very simple; take some time to scope the course out before taking the test.
9. If you pass, the MPWT may ask you to come back the following day to collect your license, however if you have passed by 4pm, there is a chance you can pick it up the same day by waiting around.
If you fail, as like the theory exam, you must return to retake 7 days after failing.
NOTE; If you take the test on a automatic motorcycle, you will receive an automatic moto license. Therefore not permitting you to ride a manual bike legally.
Hope this helps some of you out there,
Source:
Matt
CNM Motors
Attached topics
#DrivingLicense
Apparition
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Apparition »

AndyKK wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:07 pm Apparition this should help you -
You, sir, are a legend. Let me buy you a beer in June :bow:
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Alex wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:35 pm For the 10 years license, is there a VIP option that allows you to pass the tests without attending? I'd be willing to show up for the photo but that's about it.
Oh so you can't handle a bike enough or read road rules to pass a simple test but want the license given to you anyway, hope I don't meet you on the road.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

atst wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:53 pm
Alex wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:35 pm For the 10 years license, is there a VIP option that allows you to pass the tests without attending? I'd be willing to show up for the photo but that's about it.
Oh so you can't handle a bike enough or read road rules to pass a simple test but want the license given to you anyway, hope I don't meet you on the road.
I don't think Alex is quite right about that, It may have been a number of years ago, when you could pop over to Lucky's.
Now I did a year's exchange license, at my age I would not get the 10 years license. But my problem was because of the FPCS the landlord no longer needs to register you with the Sangkat, I tried to register myself but needed a letter from the police chief to do so, at a cost of $100. So, I just give my money to an agent, they collect my licence UK and Cambodian and the payment at my apartment and delivery back to me in 12 hours.
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

AndyKK wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:40 pm
Apparition wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:15 pm In the case of my insurance, it covers motorcycles, no exclusions regarding licences, only riding under the influence.

I went with Infinity, @$75 3rd party, add on top of that $100+ for personal injury.
Personal injury, is that insurance that covers doc, hospital etc. for yourself in case of an accident?

What limits does the personal injury insurance have? I looked at their website but they don't seem to advertise it there.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

yongchi wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:59 pm
AndyKK wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:40 pm

Personal injury, is that insurance that covers doc, hospital etc. for yourself in case of an accident?

What limits does the personal injury insurance have? I looked at their website but they don't seem to advertise it there.
I think it's a negotiation to the best you may be able to get.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

atst wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:53 pm
I assume you're just trolling me, since you know nothing about my bike handling skills (or lack thereof), but let me entertain you just because I feel like it tonight.

I could easily "convert" my home country license to obtain a 1-year Cambodian license. Perfectly legal, without "passing a simple test". Note that this would put you in danger of meeting me on the road, for a full year if I feel like staying that long. And for as many years as I'm willing to repeat that silly exercise again.

I could NOT, to the best of my knowledge, avoid having to do that transfer or conversion EACH YEAR over and over again, unless there's a nefarious way to obtain the 10-years license without having to sit the tests. Hence my question, maybe I'm missing something.

You'd be facing exactly the same danger meeting me on the road. It's just a question of minimizing hassle for myself.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic