Will Elon Musk Takeover Twitter One Way or Another?

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.

Will Elon Musk takeover Twitter one way or another?

YES
79%
NO
21%

Total votes: 34
grumpygit
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Will Elon Musk Takeover Twitter One Way or Another?

Post by grumpygit »

I think Elon approached this in his rather pragmatic logical way.
Buy a company with obvious problems.
No idea if any of the staff do anything worthwhile
Have a huge cull and see where the holes are.
Make a few apologies and hire back the ones that obviously kept the wheels turning.
Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. The former is me, the latter a reflection of you.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Random Dude wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:08 pm
Kenr wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:23 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:49 pm I think all of us here, myself included, don't have a clue what's going on at Twitter and we just get echo chamber chatter from folk who either support or detest Musk.

He took over a biz that lost 4m per day and sacked half it's inefficient workforce and now wants the remainder to sign on to his vision or take severance pay. This is 100% reasonable in my eyes. I realize that it's for some reason abhorrent to another faction of forum viewers but meh

I’m not sure if it’s a love/hate thing for everyone, for me I find it stupidly humorous. It’s his company so obviously he can run it as he sees fit, but it seems to me he really didn’t have any type of game plan as soon as he took over, maybe a vision, but no game plan. It seems to me he is just winging it day by day.

He claims they were losing $4 million per day, but I think we can all agree that Mr. Musk tends to exaggerate, so how close those numbers are to being true only he and a few others know. And obviously he didn’t know who was being efficient or inefficient because after cutting the first 50% or so as soon as he came on board, he was trying to get people back that were needed.

This is a social media company that needs advertising revenue to survive, and some of these advertisers apparently don’t want to be associated with his visions, which is their choice because it is their money. If Mr. Musk believes Twitter can become profitable with only paid subscribers and no advertising revenue, well good luck to him.

Not ever being on Twitter and with no plans of ever using it, I could personally care less either way, except for the individuals losing their jobs. But following this shit-show is humorous.
Watching this twitter balls up unfold reminds me of the several times I've seen ex-pats get financially involved in some combination of restaurant/bar, despite knowing nothing about the industry and having no experience. They always point to their previous experience in some completely unrelated industry and tell themselves they're 'business people' and their experience in the family plumbing business back home will transfer right over to running a restaurant in a completely different culture.
There’s no doubt he loves attention and has an enormous ego and it’s more of a game for him right now. But I also believe when it’s all said and done with Twitter will be fine, as long as he puts someone in charge that understands how this type of business works. Will it ever be so profitable that it was worth his paying price? Hard to tell, it’s all going to depend if he will choose absolute “free speech” like he said he would, which he has already backtracked on, or will he choose a platform that the advertisers are willing to spend their money on.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

grumpygit wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:15 pm I think Elon approached this in his rather pragmatic logical way.
Make a few apologies and hire back the ones that obviously kept the wheels turning.
That’s pretty illogical. Who is going to come back after being fired? Hell, the ones that weren’t fired are resigning.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

grumpygit wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:15 pm I think Elon approached this in his rather pragmatic logical way.
I can see why you'd (not you specifically, people in general) think he had some sort of mad genius plan, the guy runs Tesla and space X, he's the richest guy in the world... surely he must have some idea what he's doing. And maybe he does. I'm starting to suspect people have been giving him way too much credit though and he's blundered his way into an embarrassing train wreck with no idea what he's doing.
grumpygit
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by grumpygit »

Kenr wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:31 pm
That’s pretty illogical. Who is going to come back after being fired? Hell, the ones that weren’t fired are resigning.
People did come back.. he got outed on his own platform because they did something dumb and locked themselves out of a system.. he asked the expert to come back and help out, and held his hand up and publicly thanked the person.
We shall see how it all pans out for Twitter.. myself I've started using it and enjoying it.
Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. The former is me, the latter a reflection of you.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

grumpygit wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:37 pm
People did come back.. he got outed on his own platform because they did something dumb and locked themselves out of a system.. he asked the expert to come back and help out, and held his hand up and publicly thanked the person.
We shall see how it all pans out for Twitter.. myself I've started using it and enjoying it.
Anyone with a mortgage, bills to pay etc can't be finding themselves unemployed overnight - of course they came back. I wonder how many are actively looking for new jobs now though and will be jumping ship as soon as they find a new gig.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

grumpygit wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:37 pm
lol

It's hilarious that the media fell for that - it was a parody/troll post
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

These individuals aren’t blue-collar workers, they are highly skilled and will be able to find a job very easily, if they hadn’t already considering Mr. Musk had been talking about doing this prior to taking control.

With three months severance pay, they don’t need to stick around dealing with his indecisiveness.
grumpygit
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by grumpygit »

Kenr wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:42 pm These individuals aren’t blue-collar workers, they are highly skilled and will be able to find a job very easily, if they hadn’t already considering Mr. Musk had been talking about doing this prior to taking control.

With three months severance pay, they don’t need to stick around dealing with his indecisiveness.
I can't see Twitter fucked me off for being a lazy waste of space who was barely ever there and when I was I did fuck all..looking that great on a C.V.

They had a good ride and ultimately fucked it for themselves.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic