Will Elon Musk Takeover Twitter One Way or Another?

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.

Will Elon Musk takeover Twitter one way or another?

YES
79%
NO
21%

Total votes: 34
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Will Elon Musk Takeover Twitter One Way or Another?

Post by Doc67 »

Kenr wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:03 pm
BklynBoy wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:33 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:02 pm
I don't get it. He has a "vision" for how this company should run. He purchased it because it was profitable or because he saw the potential or something

why not leave it as is? seems like he wants to ruin it

what a dick boss he is. Almost like he wants to punish the people he viewed as "bad" or some shit.
I agree. Whatever his “vision” is or was cannot stand up to reality.

I don’t believe he ever wanted to purchase Twitter, I believe he was just looking for attention and wanted to be the savior of “free speech” to all the people, but he fucked up by making a very stupid and overpriced offer, then got caught up in a legal battle he realized he wasn’t going to be able to win, so he had to go through with the deal.

Now he is over his head, wanting to do things that can’t be done, even making false claims about why android users apps were so slow, and firing an employee who corrected him.

I believe he is out of his depth on this.
I think this is spot on.

All I would add is this is Elon Musk's first takeover of an existing business. I am not talking about a small start-up he may have acquired in the past to absorb or smother. I am talking a full-grown established business. Hitherto he has been a business starter and I think there is a big difference between the two skill sets.

He is now on a very difficult learning curve, added to which there are two toxic elements he has to deal with: a hostile staff base and user base. His divisiveness is the root cause of those two problems and that is not going away any time soon. If the advertisers are also alienated, he is toast.

He has $44Billion on borrowed money riding on it. So far, it doesn't look very good.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

His divisiveness is the root cause of those two problems and that is not going away any time soon.

The former owner wasn't divisive?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Cooldude wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:08 am His divisiveness is the root cause of those two problems and that is not going away any time soon.

There are millions of former owners....
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

There are millions of former owners....

Former CEO and mouthpiece.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Twitter reportedly closes offices over 'sabotage fears' as 'more employees resign'

Twitter employees have been told that all office buildings have been temporarily closed as more of them are estimated to be leaving the social media firm, according to reports.

However in a follow up tweet, she said: "We're hearing this is because Elon Musk and his team are terrified employees are going to sabotage the company. Also, they're still trying to figure out which Twitter workers they need to cut access for."

It comes as a fresh wave of Twitter employees are reportedly estimated to be leaving the company following an ultimatum from new owner Elon Musk that staff sign up for "long hours at high intensity", or leave.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/t ... 9d64fae5ea
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Cooldude wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:08 am His divisiveness is the root cause of those two problems and that is not going away any time soon.

Yeah, ok, fair comment, the previous management were not exactly middle of the road.

However, the current staff seem to be on the wrong side of the divide for the current owner.
This is akin to hijacking a ship and expecting the crew to carry on their duties to the best of their abilities and with s smile on their faces.

The latest reports (if true) of locking staff out (see above) for fear of sabotage, is a sign of open warfare.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I think all of us here, myself included, don't have a clue what's going on at Twitter and we just get echo chamber chatter from folk who either support or detest Musk.

He took over a biz that lost 4m per day and sacked half it's inefficient workforce and now wants the remainder to sign on to his vision or take severance pay. This is 100% reasonable in my eyes. I realize that it's for some reason abhorrent to another faction of forum viewers but meh

Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:49 pm I think all of us here, myself included, don't have a clue what's going on at Twitter and we just get echo chamber chatter from folk who either support or detest Musk.

He took over a biz that lost 4m per day and sacked half it's inefficient workforce and now wants the remainder to sign on to his vision or take severance pay. This is 100% reasonable in my eyes. I realize that it's for some reason abhorrent to another faction of forum viewers but meh

I’m not sure if it’s a love/hate thing for everyone, for me I find it stupidly humorous. It’s his company so obviously he can run it as he sees fit, but it seems to me he really didn’t have any type of game plan as soon as he took over, maybe a vision, but no game plan. It seems to me he is just winging it day by day.

He claims they were losing $4 million per day, but I think we can all agree that Mr. Musk tends to exaggerate, so how close those numbers are to being true only he and a few others know. And obviously he didn’t know who was being efficient or inefficient because after cutting the first 50% or so as soon as he came on board, he was trying to get people back that were needed.

This is a social media company that needs advertising revenue to survive, and some of these advertisers apparently don’t want to be associated with his visions, which is their choice because it is their money. If Mr. Musk believes Twitter can become profitable with only paid subscribers and no advertising revenue, well good luck to him.

Not ever being on Twitter and with no plans of ever using it, I could personally care less either way, except for the individuals losing their jobs. But following this shit-show is humorous.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Kenr wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:23 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:49 pm I think all of us here, myself included, don't have a clue what's going on at Twitter and we just get echo chamber chatter from folk who either support or detest Musk.

I’m not sure if it’s a love/hate thing for everyone, for me I find it stupidly humorous. It’s his company so obviously he can run it as he sees fit, but it seems to me he really didn’t have any type of game plan as soon as he took over, maybe a vision, but no game plan. It seems to me he is just winging it day by day.

He claims they were losing $4 million per day, but I think we can all agree that Mr. Musk tends to exaggerate, so how close those numbers are to being true only he and a few others know. And obviously he didn’t know who was being efficient or inefficient because after cutting the first 50% or so as soon as he came on board, he was trying to get people back that were needed.

This is a social media company that needs advertising revenue to survive, and some of these advertisers apparently don’t want to be associated with his visions, which is their choice because it is their money. If Mr. Musk believes Twitter can become profitable with only paid subscribers and no advertising revenue, well good luck to him.

Not ever being on Twitter and with no plans of ever using it, I could personally care less either way, except for the individuals losing their jobs. But following this shit-show is humorous.
I use it pretty much daily in a non personal capacity. I agree it's endlessly entertaining
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Kenr wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:23 pm

Watching this twitter balls up unfold reminds me of the several times I've seen ex-pats get financially involved in some combination of restaurant/bar, despite knowing nothing about the industry and having no experience. They always point to their previous experience in some completely unrelated industry and tell themselves they're 'business people' and their experience in the family plumbing business back home will transfer right over to running a restaurant in a completely different culture.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic