Will Elon Musk Takeover Twitter One Way or Another?

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.

Will Elon Musk takeover Twitter one way or another?

YES
79%
NO
21%

Total votes: 34
Khmer_Risotto
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Will Elon Musk Takeover Twitter One Way or Another?

Post by Khmer_Risotto »

Matt Levine has a great rundown of the Musk/Twitter shenanigans.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/artic ... ls-twitter
What is going on here? My initial reaction was that Musk was joking, that this was just a way to troll people online. It is, after all, Friday the 13th. “Still committed to acquisition,” he tweeted two hours later. Obviously this would be a bad joke, insofar as it “sent Twitter stock tumbling as much as 25% in premarket trading.” You are not supposed to say things that aren’t true and that will affect the stock of a public company that you are trying to buy. That is what is usually called “securities fraud,” or what I sometimes like to call “lite securities fraud.” Musk has a long history of lite securities fraud: He used to make jokes about Tesla Inc. introducing new products or going bankrupt, and he notably settled a fraud lawsuit with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission because he tweeted that he had secured funding to take Tesla private but had not. If he just woke up feeling frisky and tweeted a joke about Twitter’s bot accounts, a joke that wiped billions of dollars off Twitter’s market capitalization, that would be totally unsurprising. Bad! Not really allowed! But very much in character.
We have discussed this before, but ordinarily in merger agreements there is a clause saying that the buyer and seller “shall consult with each other before issuing any press release or otherwise making any public statements with respect to” the merger. Clear and consistent communication is really important; you don’t want anyone accidentally making statements that spook the market. Twitter’s agreement with Musk has that clause (Section 6.8 ), but it has an exception: “Notwithstanding the foregoing, [Musk] shall be permitted to issue Tweets about the Merger or the transactions contemplated hereby so long as such Tweets do not disparage the Company or any of its Representatives.”

You can see why Musk wanted that exception: His highest priority, the thing that he has fought over with the SEC, the reason he is buying Twitter, is his desire to tweet unsupervised. “Everyone can tweet whatever they want” has shoved aside “colonize Mars” or “transition the world to sustainable energy” as the thing Musk is interested in these days, so of course his merger agreement lets him tweet whatever he wants without running it by anyone. And you can see why Twitter gave him the exception: They had to, plus I guess more tweeting is good for Twitter.

But there’s a reason merger agreements usually say that the buyer and seller will consult with each other before making significant announcements about the merger! What a stupid mess this is.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

It’s good that some people thinks this is funny. With millions of Americans who don’t have a true pension plan, only Social Security and 401K plans, idiots like this can totally screw up one’s retirement plans. The reason the Dodd-Frank Act was created is because of the stock market crash in 2008, in which I personally lost 50% of my TSP. The banks had no type of regulations or rules and were pretty much given carte blanche and giving out bad loans for years, and what Musk is and had been doing for several years is no different, saying shit to the public and manipulating the stock market. For what, a joke? Because he’s bored? Because he needs to be relevant? And some individuals are getting a kick out of this? Sad.

I’m not sure if he has violated anything as it pertains to Twitter, but if he has, I hope the SEC lights his ass up. If he wants to buy it, buy it, if not then pay the $1 billion and get it over with and stop screwing with peoples livelihood.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

nemo wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:43 am Will anyone be surprised if he is just jawboning the company to manipulate the price and make a killing without actually completing the buy?
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

Turns out Musk had some good reasons to put the deal on hold. FRAUD fake accounts, bots, inflated follower numbers. Who'd a thunk?? Eh!
One of the engineers Siru Murugusan just admitted its not a free speach platform at all and in his words " run by commies"
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

canucklhead wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:05 am Turns out Musk had some good reasons to put the deal on hold. FRAUD fake accounts, bots, inflated follower numbers. Who'd a thunk?? Eh!
One of the engineers Siru Murugusan just admitted its not a free speach platform at all and in his words " run by commies"
I assumed some diligence and research before making the offer would have been more 'chicue' than doing the thinking after making an offer.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

armchairlawyer wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:58 pm There is talk that Musk could get badly burned. He has already borrowed against his TSLA stock which is down 17% in the last month. If TSLA's price drops below circa 740, the margin calls are likely to start.
On Tuesday 10th Tesla share price broke $800. Wednesday 11th it went to $734 and Thursday 12th as went as low as $681 before recovering but couldn't hold above $740. Friday 13th he pulled out.

I think greater powers than Musk were at work and he has been scuppered. TWTR now down to $37 and looking like heading further south. I wonder how much that 9% owes him?

armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

Elon has reported that 50% of Bidens twitter followers are fake! Surprise surprise!
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Musk didn’t report that, an audit company is making that claim. That same company reported that 70% of Musk’s followers are fake.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

This is whole thing is hilarious; 401k plans be dammed
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic