Will Elon Musk Takeover Twitter One Way or Another?

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.

Will Elon Musk takeover Twitter one way or another?

YES
17
71%
NO
7
29%
 
Total votes: 24
User avatar
nemo
Expatriate
Posts: 1933
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:34 pm
Reputation: 1269
Cambodia

Re: Will Elon Musk Takeover Twitter One Way or Another?

Post by nemo »

He isn't buying it for business reasons. He is buying it to help Republicans not get censored when telling clear lies next election.
I thought that was solved by Truth Social?

My woeful ignorance of Elon and his doings forces me to ask if he is an overt Republican?
User avatar
newkidontheblock
Expatriate
Posts: 3318
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 3:51 am
Reputation: 1141

Re: Will Elon Musk Takeover Twitter One Way or Another?

Post by newkidontheblock »

verdebandit wrote:He isn't buying it for business reasons. He is buying it to help Republicans not get censored when telling clear lies next election.

Don’t have a political axe to grind, do you?
I can you are open to views beyond your own, and extremely tolerant of others.

Here are some views of Elon Musk.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/wor ... 1.html?amp

Liberals used to be all about everyone’s freedom of expression. Voltaire would say he completely disagreed with someone, but would defend their right to express their views.

Now Liberals = one lock step world view. Censor opinions, ban free speech under the excuse of safe places., etc.

What Elon Musk is doing is a good thing.

Everyone should have a right to express their opinions.

This is my opinion of course.
User avatar
verdebandit
Tourist
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:35 am
Reputation: 6
United States of America

Re: Will Elon Musk Takeover Twitter One Way or Another?

Post by verdebandit »

Free speech in the us constitution was about government not preventing speech, not about private businesses blocking misleading and known untruths on their platforms. The things that got the major political figures banned from that platform were known to be 100% untrue and misleading content. There has to be balance where you can't just go out and lie constantly and then whine about free speech.

This is of course also just my opinion.
User avatar
Big Daikon
Expatriate
Posts: 1804
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:07 am
Reputation: 1336
United States of America

Re: Will Elon Musk Takeover Twitter One Way or Another?

Post by Big Daikon »

verdebandit wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 11:35 pm Free speech in the us constitution was about government not preventing speech, not about private businesses
Spirit of the law versus letter of the law. Censorship has been outsourced to the private sector and the net effect is the same: certain viewpoints are silenced.
User avatar
verdebandit
Tourist
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:35 am
Reputation: 6
United States of America

Re: Will Elon Musk Takeover Twitter One Way or Another?

Post by verdebandit »

Lies aren't viewpoints.
User avatar
Big Daikon
Expatriate
Posts: 1804
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:07 am
Reputation: 1336
United States of America

Re: Will Elon Musk Takeover Twitter One Way or Another?

Post by Big Daikon »

Musk took his mom to the Met. A king move.
Image
User avatar
IraHayes
Expatriate
Posts: 1989
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 7:38 am
Reputation: 1333
Marshall Islands

Re: Will Elon Musk Takeover Twitter One Way or Another?

Post by IraHayes »

verdebandit wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 3:29 am Lies aren't viewpoints.
Is that all lies?

Like the Russian collusion hoax.
Jussie Smollett hate crime hoax.
Nick Sandman was the instigator.
Kyle Rittenhouse......

Let's face it. I've read more stuff coming from the left about how and why Musk owning twitter will be bad and its all shit the left has been doing for years already.


Seriously, one guy was going on about how, in the future, Musk may reduce liberal views on Twitter to impact an election....
And Twitter have been limiting right of centre views and banning people who dare to hold a different view for a long time.

The opening up of Twitter to all voices is going to be glorious, if only to watch the left lose its collective mind.
User avatar
Doc67
Expatriate
Posts: 6736
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:16 am
Reputation: 6025
Location: PHNOM PENH !!!!!
Great Britain

Re: Will Elon Musk Takeover Twitter One Way or Another?

Post by Doc67 »

IraHayes wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:21 am
verdebandit wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 3:29 am Lies aren't viewpoints.
Is that all lies?

Like the Russian collusion hoax.
Jussie Smollett hate crime hoax.
Nick Sandman was the instigator.
Kyle Rittenhouse......

Let's face it. I've read more stuff coming from the left about how and why Musk owning twitter will be bad and its all shit the left has been doing for years already.


Seriously, one guy was going on about how, in the future, Musk may reduce liberal views on Twitter to impact an election....
And Twitter have been limiting right of centre views and banning people who dare to hold a different view for a long time.

The opening up of Twitter to all voices is going to be glorious, if only to watch the left lose its collective mind.
Doesn't Twitter just show you things you want/like to read via with your choices of who you follow, plus some suggestions with their algorithms? You follow the people you like (and get lots of confirmation bias) and ignore the people you don't like for obvious reason.

If people deliberately seek out what/who upsets them, why should anyone give a toss if they then get upset?

Or am I missing something?

The internet is the greatest invention to save you time and to waste your time, sometimes at the same time. It seems to me that Twitter falls very much into the second category. (I can think of another site that falls into that category as well).
User avatar
Big Daikon
Expatriate
Posts: 1804
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:07 am
Reputation: 1336
United States of America

Re: Will Elon Musk Takeover Twitter One Way or Another?

Post by Big Daikon »

Doc67 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:55 am If people deliberately seek out what/who upsets them, why should anyone give a toss if they then get upset?
Because some of those people report "upsetting" posts to mods and accounts get suspended. And, politically speaking, it generally goes in only one direction.

Prior to 2016, Twitter was a more anarchic free-for-all.
User avatar
Doc67
Expatriate
Posts: 6736
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:16 am
Reputation: 6025
Location: PHNOM PENH !!!!!
Great Britain

Re: Will Elon Musk Takeover Twitter One Way or Another?

Post by Doc67 »

Big Daikon wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:06 am
Doc67 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:55 am If people deliberately seek out what/who upsets them, why should anyone give a toss if they then get upset?
Because some of those people report "upsetting" posts to mods and accounts get suspended. And, politically speaking, it generally goes in only one direction.

Prior to 2016, Twitter was a more anarchic free-for-all.
That's an easy fix. The offended party should be blocked from reading anything further written by the poster of the upsetting material, including retweets, not block the poster.

You have no right not to be offended. It is impossible to stop people saying and doing things that someone will find offensive. There will always be someone. There are people out there who take offence by proxy, usually the activists and 'awareness raisers' - a.k.a. shit stirrers.

People who seek out people or material they find offensive, and then complain about it, only have themselves to blame.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BuckDefiant, bunfuntamun, cambo swa, crob, Google [Bot], Jerry Atrick, John Bingham, Majestic-12 [Bot], Random Dude, siliconlife, Username Taken and 139 guests