People Behaving Badly at PPIA

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

People Behaving Badly at PPIA

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Social media commenters strke again. Is this "public bad behavior" a real problem ?
What do CEO readers think ? Do you "tut-tut" when you see the way local people make themselves at home at Phnom Penh International Airport, as they picnic and party while waiting or farewelling friends and family ? Is there a lack of decorum ? Should we get upset ?
Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): According to a critic on social media, Pheng Vannak, there are shocking scenes of people eating and discarding disposable rubbish, playing loud music on the sidewalk in and outside of the Phnom Penh International Airport. He said the people mentioned above were most likely waiting for the arrival of their family members at the airport and raised several questions as to why they were not socially responsible and to behave properly in the public. He further stated that these irresponsible behaviors disrupted the social orders. He required the authorities to look into the matters.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: People Behaving Badly at PIA

Post by nemo »

LOL
outrage
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I haven't used PPIA since late 2019 cuz covid - but flew maybe a dozen times that year and it was a fucking nuisance then because half the parking spaces were taken up with people lounging around on the ground drinking and picnicking - literally more people hanging out in the carpark than boarding planes
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Party on. Nothing wrong with that.
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

so long as they clean up their trash before they go and not leave it lying around
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

"Do you "tut-tut" when you see the way local people make themselves at home at Phnom Penh International Airport, as they picnic and party while waiting or farewelling friends and family ? Is there a lack of decorum ? Should we get upset ?"

We shouldn't get anything, other than used to it. This is their town.

"...raised several questions as to why they were not socially responsible and to behave properly in the public. He further stated that these irresponsible behaviors disrupted the social orders. He required the authorities to look into the matters."

Hey! We have people like that back home. Only more of them, and their names are often Agnes.

"Well! I, for one, won't stand for it. Look, I'm not one one to talk, as you know, but I was putting the milk bottles out about 5, when I glimpsed in the corner of my eye as I climbed over the neighbours fence..."

Most are excited to see whomever they are meeting. Party time. Sure, they got there a few days early, but in these times you never can be sure.

How dare they be happy!
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Make food and drink more accessible to the general public? Prices are outrageous at PNH. If you want to make an aiport successful you need to transform it into a public venue where it is nice to spend some hours even if not flying anywhere.
work is for people who cant find truffles
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Yes, I always found the airport to be extremely annoying because of the people just hanging out there. The entrance to check into flights is the worst, you have large groups of people hanging around the doors making it annoying to get in with kids and luggage in tow. They need to increase the sidewalk size or not allow people to hang near the doors, maybe create an area for them to hang around. I don't remember the area to depart the airport being so bad, just that door to enter the airport. People just fucking standing around the entrance door completely oblivious to others that need to get by.

I'm assuming it is a status thing, you gain face by standing there in the sun & blocking doors because you know people that are flying.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

We shouldn't get anything, other than used to it. This is their town.
CEO News notes: The social commenter that was cited in the OP seems to be a Cambodian, and his/her comments were reposted here to see what expats have to add to the discussion about airport behavior at PIA.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Been a while since I had cause to be at the departure side of PPIA, but, he last time I was there you were only allowed to enter the building if you produced a passport. I think this was aimed more at the locals that foreigners as I have never had to show mine to gain entry.

Now, if this is still the case, it is likely that the hordes of locals loitering outside is because the just don't have a passport.
When me and my wife used to take my mum to the airport to fly home she would take her passport with her for the this very reason. ie. she could enter the building and we could say bon voyage to my mum from inside after making sure she was all sorted with airport assistance etc. She was a coy old duck and used to play up on her age and mobility to get airport assistance. sometimes there was a small fee but she got ushered around and priority boarding lol.
Anyway, I digress. Seems they are all outside because they aren't allowed to enter the building unless they show a passport. But. Do the PPIA people really want them inside? and is the rule about showing a passport actually there to keep them out?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic