Cambodian tourism will be the “new Thailand”

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cambodian tourism will be the “new Thailand”

Post by sigmoid »

The lack of the "Sanook Factor" is the reason why no other Southeast Asian country can become the "new Thailand".

This doesn't just include go-go bars, "lady night", dating, going out, etc. but the whole attitude and lifestyle of Thailand and the constant possibility of experiencing something new and unexpected, which is a phenomenon that visitors can palpably feel.

The Laos have a bit of "muan" but they're much more inhibited and repressed. I never felt it in Cambodia, where "death" seems to be the main theme nor in Vietnam, which seems to lack any kind of fizz.

Of course, Thailand has a lost a lot of that fun feeling but visiting there can at least still be an adventure.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
tears_in_rain
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by tears_in_rain »

Cambodia will in no way be the next Thailand. Have you been to the beach at Sihanoukville? Open sewers into the water, Chinese people shitting on the beach, disgusting food. Dream on....
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

sigmoid wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:57 pm ..nor in Vietnam, which seems to lack any kind of jizz...
FTFY
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

techietraveller84 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:57 pm people still think Cambodia hasn't recovered from Pol Pot.
But did they ?
I don't think so.
Check out the 60's videos, try convince me this is the natural legacy of the Pearl of Asia when walking around Pp nowadays...^^
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic