Where can I get a prenup in Phnom Penh?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
kambokiwi
Tourist
New Zealand

Where can I get a prenup in Phnom Penh?

Post by kambokiwi »

Just wondering if anyone knows where I can get a basic prenup in Phnom Penh please. My gf and I are getting married soon and I just want a prenup to keep my house in case of any issues down the road. Appreciate any advice if you’ve got a prenup in Phnom Penh before.

Thank you.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Re: Where can I get a prenup in Phnom Penh?

Post by IraHayes »

Interesting question.
And while we wait for some replies here’s some data for you to ponder upon…

Rule of law in Cambodia.

https://worldjusticeproject.org/sites/d ... ease_1.pdf
138 out of 139 countries

https://worldjusticeproject.org/rule-of ... 0/Cambodia
127 out of 128 countries
15 out of 15 in this region

So, this legal document that you’re going to have drawn up… and spend good money on in the process… so… how much meaning do you think it will have in a court of law? And should you really get married if you have assists you desire to keep?

Answers are none and no btw.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I’ve no info to answer the question, so apologies. Equally, apologies if the following questions seem intrusive, but I ask them out of genuine interest, not simple prying.

Where’s the house?
Given the idiosyncrasies of property laws vs non-nationals in Cambodia, one might surmise that the house is not in Cambodia (though I stand to be corrected).
Unless the house is in Cambodia, and ownership will be dependent upon the relationship?

In which case, I’d ask if a prenup drawn up in Cambodia would help?
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

I can remember reading, you'll have to search getting divorced , but the law on getting a divorce in Cambodia is you keep what you bring into the marriage.
But if you don't give your new wife everything you have she will tell you every day you don't love her and she will be sure she is going to get at least half what you have and tell you this is what you must do.
But the law states you keep what you bring into a marriage, but good luck with that one to.
If your really worried open a trust and put everything in there.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Down your local pub would be get you one that is upheld at least as well. And Stevo will scribble one up for you, for a beer.

Sorry to be cynical, but it is what it is. You're on the outer.

Back home is a different matter.

"Appreciate any advice if you’ve got a prenup in Phnom Penh before."

As I am not in the abovementioned category, I hope you will still appreciate my input, and never come to appreciate it in hindsight.

I wish you years of blissful, marital union, and your prenuptial agreement finds irrelevance.

Again, I apologise, as most other "Advisors" have, for the negativity, and the presumption that you are not Cambodian.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

Without being able to answer your question, here is a legal drafting starting point for you based on New South Wales Australian law.

https://www.lawdepot.com/contracts/pren ... mN12tpBw2w

But I would raise the following observations.

1. In the event of a marital break down, in many jurisdictions a pre-nuptial agreement may be set aside unless the other party has received truly independent legal advice, and fully understands the provisions within the agreement, prior to signing such an agreement.

2. In the event of a marital breakdown, your estranged partner may have the legal capacity to challenged the prenuptial agreement in your country of citizenship or future residence if the family law provisions of either country were more beneficial to her and any offspring from the relationship.

Just matters to keep in mind.

OML
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Ot Mean Loi wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:57 am Without being able to answer your question, here is a legal drafting starting point for you based on New South Wales Australian law.

https://www.lawdepot.com/contracts/pren ... mN12tpBw2w

But I would raise the following observations.

1. In the event of a marital break down, in many jurisdictions a pre-nuptial agreement may be set aside unless the other party has received truly independent legal advice, and fully understands the provisions within the agreement, prior to signing such an agreement.

2. In the event of a marital breakdown, your estranged partner may have the legal capacity to challenged the prenuptial agreement in your country of citizenship or future residence if the family law provisions of either country were more beneficial to her and any offspring from the relationship.

Just matters to keep in mind.

OML
What sadistic bastard came up with that one?
zmth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by zmth »

kambokiwi wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:03 am Just wondering if anyone knows where I can get a basic prenup in Phnom Penh please. My gf and I are getting married soon and I just want a prenup to keep my house in case of any issues down the road. Appreciate any advice if you’ve got a prenup in Phnom Penh before.

Thank you.
Not a reply but another question since it is IMPOSSIBLE TO POST A new question i had to do it this way. Is it or is it not required for a usa person to have travel covid insurance or not as last year at some time there was a post on internet, not this website nor forum , titled Cambodia is no longer requiring travel insurance
Also if anyone knows how in the hell to post a new question please explain !
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

zmth wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:46 am
kambokiwi wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:03 am Just wondering if anyone knows where I can get a basic prenup in Phnom Penh please. My gf and I are getting married soon and I just want a prenup to keep my house in case of any issues down the road. Appreciate any advice if you’ve got a prenup in Phnom Penh before.

Thank you.
Not a reply but another question since it is IMPOSSIBLE TO POST A new question i had to do it this way. Is it or is it not required for a usa person to have travel covid insurance or not as last year at some time there was a post on internet, not this website nor forum , titled Cambodia is no longer requiring travel insurance
deleted
Last edited by Doc67 on Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

zmth wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:46 am

Thank you.
and if you just want to post a question without having to quote another post, go to the bottom of the page - where the last post is - and press this button. Give it a go!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic