High-speed railway system

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

High-speed railway system

Post by AndyKK »

Royal Government conducting feasibility study on improvement of national railway system

The Cambodian Government is in the process of conducting a feasibility study on the development of the railway system and modernization of high-speed railway system in Cambodia.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501062165/ ... ay-system/

I think they have issues with low-speed trains. :facepalm:
Always "hope" but never "expect".
chkwoot
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: High-speed railway system

Post by chkwoot »

"Issues"?!? LMFAO

A national re-education of why people should not stop, sleep, pass out drunk, drive or park on train tracks might also be a good idea.
I am sooooo very sorry if you can't understand or appreciate my sarcastic facetiousness.
kagi
Expatriate
Switzerland

Post by kagi »

, during a remote meeting with Saksayam Chidchob, Minister of Transport of Thailand on April 20.

The main purpose of the meeting is to strengthen cooperation between the two countries in the public works and transportation sectors, both within the bilateral and in the regional framework.

Thailand has been talking about high speed trains for years. Not much happening and none planned going to Cambodia.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

kagi wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:38 pm , during a remote meeting with Saksayam Chidchob, Minister of Transport of Thailand on April 20.

The main purpose of the meeting is to strengthen cooperation between the two countries in the public works and transportation sectors, both within the bilateral and in the regional framework.

Thailand has been talking about high speed trains for years. Not much happening and none planned going to Cambodia.
But I am under the understanding that Thailand has the Chinese rail link that stopped short of Bangkok, the Thai's and China are probably thinking of linking to Cambodia and onwards.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

It's one of those really weird things that I wondered why Cambodia hadn't bothered with rail (until Royal Toll started running) - and even then in the UK "fast" trains are anything but. Then you see the USA with its massive distances likewise is still carrying freight on roads instead of investing in high speed rail.

Heck even the frogs have decent high speed rail - probably inspired by the Maginot Line withdrawal, and that Shanghai airport express thing is unreal. On a private business front I guess some of the numbers don't stack up, but if you're in government, surely high speed transport between borders and from ports/cities top of the "to do" list as far as generating a healthy economy goes?

Surely there is a CEO expert on trains here who can give some insight. I know the cows/trucks etc are an issue, but surely that's solved by simply raising the track on a steep slope so no livestock can wander up on to it & crossings you turn into bridges/tunnels to avoid the weekly Samnang parking his truck on a railway.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
hairdo
BANNED
Guam

Post by hairdo »

Traditional infrastructure construction is a short-term countercyclical measure to offset economic decline. But China can no longer walk the old road
Wang Jun
https://www.orfonline.org/expert-speak/ ... %20billion.
Most new HSR lines in China have witnessed a sharp decline in their “transportation density”. Measured in passenger-kilometres, it is an indicator that projects the line’s operating efficiency in terms of annual average transport volume per kilometre
https://www.scmp.com/economy/china-econ ... pe=article
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Spigzy wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:14 pm It's one of those really weird things that I wondered why Cambodia hadn't bothered with rail (until Royal Toll started running) - and even then in the UK "fast" trains are anything but. Then you see the USA with its massive distances likewise is still carrying freight on roads instead of investing in high speed rail.

Heck even the frogs have decent high speed rail - probably inspired by the Maginot Line withdrawal, and that Shanghai airport express thing is unreal. On a private business front I guess some of the numbers don't stack up, but if you're in government, surely high speed transport between borders and from ports/cities top of the "to do" list as far as generating a healthy economy goes?

Surely there is a CEO expert on trains here who can give some insight. I know the cows/trucks etc are an issue, but surely that's solved by simply raising the track on a steep slope so no livestock can wander up on to it & crossings you turn into bridges/tunnels to avoid the weekly Samnang parking his truck on a railway.
Many of the main line trains in the UK are fast. US ones not. US needs massive investment in most of its infrastructure.
Cambodia gets massive economic benefits from its new and improved road and rail lines. Just as China did back in the day when it was starting from a low base.
No particular benefit from high speed in Cambodia. Regular speed will do just fine, and as already said, the local population needs to adjust to the dangers.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

A elevated MagLev (like the Shanghai express) from Phnom Penh to Bankok with one stop in Siem Reap would kill the airlines. Vested interests will smother that in the craddle.

Imagine getting on a train with no luggage limits (within reason), sod all security or airport crap, immigration point at embarkation and from PP to BKK in >3 hours.

Sign me up.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:02 pm A elevated MagLev (like the Shanghai express) from Phnom Penh to Bankok with one stop in Siem Reap would kill the airlines. Vested interests will smother that in the craddle.

Imagine getting on a train with no luggage limits (within reason), sod all security or airport crap, immigration point at embarkation and from PP to BKK in >3 hours.

Sign me up.
Someone would nick the cables to wire up their house. The Chinese would bid for and bribe their way in to construct it, and the resulting ‘concrete’ would powder and collapse. The timetable would be printed incorrectly, and you’d arrive to find it left yesterday.

Otherwise, I see little issue.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

The people sleeping on the tracks can't even get out of the way of the slow moving trains :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic