#Me Too Movement Comes to Thailand ?

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

#Me Too Movement Comes to Thailand ?

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Thailand's #MeToo moment? Political sex assault scandal sparks debate, calls for change
April 21, 2022
published at 4:58 AMByVijitra DuangdeeSouth China Morning Post
Reuters

Allegations of rape and sexual assault against a deputy leader of Thailand's oldest political party have stirred hopes for a belated #MeToo movement in the country, as the revelations also raise questions about the impunity and power enjoyed by Thai men.

Prinn Panitchpakdi, 44, resigned as a deputy leader of the Democrat Party in the wake of the allegations, with at least 15 other women thought to be preparing legal action against him.

The British-educated ex-banker and son of a former secretary general of the World Trade Organisation currently faces three charges of sexual assault and rape. More are expected to follow as additional victims come forward. He was released on bail over the weekend.

Prinn denies any wrongdoing and has vowed to clear his name. But his resignation seemingly ended a rising political career and threw his party into chaos.

Thai society has yet to undergo the self-scrutiny of a #MeToo movement, despite frequent allegations of sexual assault by powerful men, which are typically smothered by out-of-court settlements.

The volume and severity of allegations against Prinn, however, have opened a debate on the relationship between men, power and sex in Thailand.

"The power of the patriarchy rooted deep in our society and the lack of restraint and self-indulgence of Thai men are contributing factors to why Thailand has never had a #MeToo moment," Chuwilai [director of the Women and Men Progressive Movement Foundation] said.

"But I think we're not too far off from that moment, thanks to the younger generation who are taking matters into their own hands and have less tolerance for these issues — unlike their elders."
In full:https://www.asiaone.com/asia/thailands- ... lls-change
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: #Me Too Movement Comes to Thailand ?

Post by sigmoid »

This guy is likely guilty of doing something at sometime in the past, but the timing seems a bit suspicious considering that Thailand is heading into an intense post-virus thing election cycle:

2022 promises a gripping 12 months in Thai politics
https://www.thaipbsworld.com/2022-promi ... -politics/

1) Can the Prayut-led government survive its third year and remain until its term ends in 2023? Either way, a general election is coming up ina matter of months.

2) Who will win Bangkok’s top job in the first gubernatorial election to be held in almost 10 years?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic