Overnight Bus to Vietnam?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Overnight Bus to Vietnam?

Post by Grand Barong »

Does Giant Ibis or any other Bus line still do an overnight sleeper bus from Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh city? Giant Ibis webpage doesn't seem to have the Vietnam trip available for selection?
Cheers
chkwoot
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Overnight Bus to Vietnam?

Post by chkwoot »

No. The border closed at 5 pm. I don't think that border crossing is even open yet because of Covid, but I could be wrong. Never ever take a night bus in SEA, imho.
I am sooooo very sorry if you can't understand or appreciate my sarcastic facetiousness.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

Read on FB that tickets are now 80-100$.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
chkwoot
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by chkwoot »

Chuck Borris wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:40 pm Read on FB that tickets are now 80-100$.
Damn! In 2005 it was $8 one way with Capitol. In 2006, I upgraded to a company (forgot the name) that had a toilet in the bus, and did the "express" immigration/customs service, for $12.

I am sooooo very sorry if you can't understand or appreciate my sarcastic facetiousness.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I used Giant Ibis a number of times pre-Covid, and those cross-border trips all happened in the daytime, not overnight.

I don't know if they're already back, but apparently that land border has been reopened. Give them a call to check?
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

Alex wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:10 pm I used Giant Ibis a number of times pre-Covid, and those cross-border trips all happened in the daytime, not overnight.

I don't know if they're already back, but apparently that land border has been reopened. Give them a call to check?
I think you are right, I did the trip during the day a few years back but it took so long I thought an overnight option would be quicker but I think the overnighters are for PP to Kampot & Snooky.

A flight might be in order.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

My partners sisters boy has been doing weekly trips for months, but he is Cambodian.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Does anyone know for sure that the land borders are open to foreigners yet, can't find confirmation.

I saw that UK citizens have the free 15 day visa free option still so a weekend trip to Saigon could be kn the cards
one_dolla
Expatriate

Post by one_dolla »

Grand Barong wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:48 pm
Alex wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:10 pm I used Giant Ibis a number of times pre-Covid, and those cross-border trips all happened in the daytime, not overnight.

I think you are right, I did the trip during the day a few years back but it took so long I thought an overnight option would be quicker but I think the overnighters are for PP to Kampot & Snooky.

A flight might be in order.
Kampots only about 3 hrs or less now from PHnom Penh...why would anyone need a night bus for that....they used to go SHV Siem Reap...even had a 'hotel' bus with your own little private bedroom at one time....last time I went on a night bus was in Vietnam and wont again the seat/beds far to small for someone 6ft tall...

Off topic but seen a 3 carriage passenger train yesterday in Kampot heading for Sihanoukville... there were some passengers abroard hard to tell how many from where I was
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

chkwoot wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:11 pm Never ever take a night bus in SEA, imho.
The roads are emptier, the lights make sure the bus is well seen, as long as the amphets keeps kicking the driver should be awake and on time,..
One might loose a few items while sleeping though...

It's a leap of trust.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic