Mask Mandate on US Flights Officially Ended!

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Mask Mandate on US Flights Officially Ended!

Post by Arget »

With the hotter months upon us there is a lot of dog shit and other crap on the streets. This dries out and is then turned into dust that flies about in the city due to traffic.
I wear sunglasses to try to keep it out of my eyes and also wear the mask to stop some of it beig breathed in.

Just a freedon of choice... mine.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Professional help is available where necessary

canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

The US mandate has been dropped, but not in Canada. Go figure.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:58 pm
hanno wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:02 am
Doc67 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:39 am A public health campaign, without all the hyperbole, promoting their use in certain circumstances could be useful.
I certainly agree with that. In some parts of the world, masks are just way too politicised. Here in Vietnam, I am beginning to see the first people without masks, though the vast majority still wear them and I do not expect that to change anytime soon. No politics involved, just the way it is. Personally, I would continue to wear a mask in busy places (which is all of Vietnam), even if the mandate was lifted.
I would say the ratio is about 50/50 where I am in Riverside, but that does include expats as well as locals. There has been a noticeable increase of non wearing recently. I go out in the morning for a walk without one but always have one in my pocket. I walk past the traffic police and some of them aren't even wearing one now.

I can't speak for the rural areas and whether they are still wearing them.
Here in the sticks, they’ve all but stopped using masks (except when riding Moto’s on the dry dirt roads) in the nearby market I’d say about 20% of folk are wearing masks at most, and nobody is bothered that a barang (me) is not wearing a mask (earlier, even when I was wearing a mask, people were taking detours to avoid me)
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

in Kep; locals mask wearing around 20%
visitors from PP on weekends 80%, even the kids
Kampot around 40% , even in the markets with very few westerners wearing them

Glad to see the US has dropped mandatory use
BUT do not agree that it was announced inflight, when everyone bordered assuming that masks were required for the entire flight>
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

xandreu wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:25 am I think even now, more than two years down the line, many people are still under the assumption that masks are there to protect them from catching airborne diseases such as Covid, when all they really do is help to prevent you from spreading your germs to other people, should you yourself be infected with anything.

I'll bet every single person sitting on one of these planes voluntarily wearing a face mask will be doing so in the mistaken belief that it is protecting them.
If they prevent you or others from spreading your germs to other people then they are protecting you or others. :please:
Silence, exile, and cunning.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:31 pm
xandreu wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:25 am I think even now, more than two years down the line, many people are still under the assumption that masks are there to protect them from catching airborne diseases such as Covid, when all they really do is help to prevent you from spreading your germs to other people, should you yourself be infected with anything.

I'll bet every single person sitting on one of these planes voluntarily wearing a face mask will be doing so in the mistaken belief that it is protecting them.
If they prevent you or others from spreading your germs to other people then they are protecting you or others. :please:
I think you missed my point a little. The (relative) protection of airborne viruses that masks give you inside of an enclosed airplane is only effective if everyone wears one. The point of the thread is that it will no longer be mandatory to wear a mask, however, passengers are free to wear one should they choose.

So considering masks are only effective at preventing you from spreading your germs to others, and offer little to no protection from you inhaling germs that are already airborne, a plane load of people, where some people are wearing masks and some are not, will offer no protection to those that choose to wear one.

However, by wearing one, many will mistakenly believe that it does.

That was my point.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I honestly don't understand what the logic is in your statements.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Without looking at technical journals and scientific studies, logic dictates that a physical barrier that covers your mouth and nose would impede things going out but also going in. Of course, there are further arguments as to how much or how little it does make an impact, however, it seems foolish to claim that it doesn't provide any benefit whatsoever to the wearer.

Just as I had masks for occasional use before covid, I will continue to wear them in certain situations going forward. I'm not much for forcing others to wear them, though I understand the reasons why it was mandated.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I like masks. If you have a mask, shades and a hat on you can blend right in. 8-)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic