Critical Care for Lee and Mel (GoFundMe)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Critical Care for Lee and Mel (GoFundMe)

Post by atst »

From what I can gather, and correct me if I'm wrong, but after the accident the two people received life savings treatment without the need to prove insurance or funds to cover treatment, this is an important issue on the other thread about GoFundMe or insurance, as what happens in the first few moments when you're admitted to hospital.
Great they seem to be improving, seems the hospital treatment is better than we are led to believe in this instance.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

I assume friends stepped in and guaranteed the funds?
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Yobbo wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:09 pm Oh how wonderful when others substitute there comfort for others stupidity & complacency!
ignore list
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

rozzieoz wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 3:17 pm I assume friends stepped in and guaranteed the funds?
That's great if true but who has friends handy at the hospital in an emergency, be good if you could find out for sure and update the other thread.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

From goFundMe:

May 18, 2022
by Warren Daly, Organizer
Thank you all for your patience, and your continued support.

Lee was moved to a specialized clinic this morning and received extensive meshing skin grafts. The operation was successful but we must wait to confirm the graft is developing blood vessels and connecting to the skin around it over the next 7 days. Lee's spinal fractures continue to be monitored.

Please be mindful that Mel sustained numerous and extensive injuries. She is healing slowly after her operation, and will require substantial rehabilitation in the coming months.

Your kind support is directly financing their operations, medication, and specialized after care. I will en-devour to update you as soon as possible.

W
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Any updated news?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Updates get sent out to those who donated. A person can also click on the link below to see if any updates have been added. Good to try to keep the situation on people’s radar though in case circumstances change and people are able to contribute where they couldn’t earlier

Update from Warren 26 May

Dearest Supporters,

Mel and Lee remain at the clinic in a state of steady persistence as they strive to reach their goals of healing and recovery.

The plate and screws in Mel's forearm, and her leg injuries continue to cause serious discomfort. She is receiving some physio treatment, and with the right care and treatment she should gain dexterity overtime.
Despite her extensive injuries and being a patient herself, Mel acts as one of the caregivers ensuring Lee’s well-being. We should be mindful of her fortitude.

Lee had over 80 staples and 20 stitches removed from his leg yesterday (25th May). He has been horizontal and immobile for almost 6 weeks. We hope he will begin to move and increase his muscle mass in the coming days and weeks.

Your generous contributions continue to fund their medical appointments, X-Rays, bandage replacements, and physio treatment.

The mechanism of healing is an intricate and challenging process, we wish to thank you for your continued support during this arduous journey.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/critical-car ... orters-v5b
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

atst wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 3:51 pm
rozzieoz wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 3:17 pm I assume friends stepped in and guaranteed the funds?
That's great if true but who has friends handy at the hospital in an emergency, be good if you could find out for sure and update the other thread.
I was hospitalised last year in Siem Reap (reasonably serious medical condition but not life-threatening) and I was comatose when I arrived at the hospital. Treated straight away, apparently money was not mentioned until after the treatment was underway, when I was fully conscious I got a bill, luckily no more than I could afford. However a khmer friend took her mother to the same hospital recently and was asked for proof of funds before she was admitted. Sometimes the "two payments" system works in a barang's favour.
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

A message from Mel, via GoFundMe:

Dear Supporters,

Last week, Lee and I were discharged from the clinic and returned to our apartment in Phnom Penh. As epic as this milestone feels, it does not however signal the end of our recovery, but being home does make everyday a little more relaxed.

The last two weeks in the clinic were full of celebratory moments as Lee started to get out of bed and stand on his own, the first time of which was on my birthday! Going from strength to strength he started to take a few steps with a frame and then ultimately with the help of a foot brace, walked down the stairs and ordered a Grab taxi to the doctor’s appointment instead of needing an ambulance. Nonetheless, rebuilding muscle mass and energy levels takes time. Ongoing doctor appointments for an infection in and around the head of his left fibula requires draining, dressing changes, and monitoring from doctors every other day. These appointments are exhausting and dictate our current schedule, so we kindly ask for no drop in visitors at this time.

As for my own recovery, the physio has been challenging but promising and I am regaining both strength and mobility in my wrist and knee. The transition to home offers a more unstructured space to reflect on the last nine weeks, and unpack what can only be called a life changing event. Our scars are tangible, visible evidence of trauma, but it is perhaps the invisible emotional scars that will take longer to heal.

We are incredibly grateful to Warren, Joel, Tris, Sreynath, Doug, Sopheak, Ken, Marianna, and Beelay who cooked, cleaned, shopped, watered our plants, ensured our electricity stayed on, offered many shoulders to cry on, and helped us in the ten thousand ways up to this point, and beyond. Thank you also to everyone who donated on this page, to those who gave blood, shared our story though fundraisers, listened on the phone, replied to emails, and who continue to support us as we adjust to our new circumstances.

Your ongoing support and donations continue to contribute to our recovery including doctor appointments, x-rays, mobility aids, medication, and physiotherapy. Lee and I thank you all from the bottom of our hearts.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic