Critical Care for Lee and Mel (GoFundMe)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Critical Care for Lee and Mel (GoFundMe)

Post by Anchor Moy »

Clutch Cargo wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:21 pm
pissontheroof wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:01 pm Insurance is a big waste of money unless it’s life insurance and your beneficiary will definitely get it .
I got an extra wheel on my moto and haven’t had any injury road accident since that
Other insurance is wasteful unless you can make a claim and make it pay off .
How is medical/hospital insurance wasteful when this case shows otherwise?

If they'd had their own insurance, they wouldn't be needing Go FundMe..
My opinion is that if you have a motorbike, you should have insurance - for yourself and for other people. If you are in an accident that is not your fault, you may have to pay for the injuries or death of the other party anyway. Yearly third party insurance is cheap (like really cheap), and is good for peace of mind.
After that, you get to decide if personal insurance is worth it for you. Maybe it's not if you have money stashed away or wealthy relations you can call on, but relying on the kindness of strangers if you need major surgery is a big gamble too. We all know that an accident can happen at any time - especially on a motorbike in Cambodia. People get scraped off the road every day and it's not necessarily their fault.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Anchor Moy wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:13 pm
pissontheroof wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:01 pm Insurance is a big waste of money unless it’s life insurance and your beneficiary will definitely get it .
I got an extra wheel on my moto and haven’t had any injury road accident since that

My opinion is that if you have a motorbike, you should have insurance - for yourself and for other people. If you are in an accident that is not your fault, you may have to pay for the injuries or death of the other party anyway. Yearly third party insurance is cheap (like really cheap), and is good for peace of mind.
After that, you get to decide if personal insurance is worth it for you. Maybe it's not if you have money stashed away or wealthy relations you can call on, but relying on the kindness of strangers if you need major surgery is a big gamble too. We all know that an accident can happen at any time - especially on a motorbike in Cambodia. People get scraped off the road every day and it's not necessarily their fault.
I could not agree any more with your post. But has sure has eggs are eggs, the foreigner will pay even if the accident was not his/her fault, and even if the other driver/rider is illegal on the road. 3rd party insurance is essential to save yourself a lot of trouble. If someone dies in an accident, you are not going to get away with "I don't have the money".
Always "hope" but never "expect".
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

I don't ride them.
Fuck that.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Where do you get this cheap as chups third party insurance?
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

atst wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:35 pm

Where do you get this cheap as chups third party insurance?
My 3rd party insurance was @$75 and pays out $30,000 to the 3rd party for damages or death.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

We had a wonderful night at Oscar's last night, the place was packed, filled with lots of love for Lee and Mel.
Thanks to everyone who donated or bought raffle tickets, I don't know the exact tally but it was well over $500.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

nemo wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:42 pm I don't ride them.
Fuck that.
Me neither, not as a passenger either. That's the best insurance.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

rozzieoz wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:56 am We had a wonderful night at Oscar's last night, the place was packed, filled with lots of love for Lee and Mel.
Thanks to everyone who donated or bought raffle tickets, I don't know the exact tally but it was well over $500.
I forgot all about it, so annoyed with myself. I was in a boring bar at 9.30 and thought, sod it. I'm going home. You don't get that line up very often...
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Oh Doc you missed a fantastic night :(
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

nemo wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:42 pm I don't ride them.
Fuck that.
Do you ride the Indian death traps?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic