Critical Care for Lee and Mel (GoFundMe)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
violet
Expatriate

Re: Critical Care for Lee and Mel (GoFundMe)

Post by violet »

Ozinasia wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:28 pm You are a good friend Rozzie I am certain they appreciate your efforts and time ..I friend in need is a friend indeed we all hope we would have someone like you if and when the need arises.
It’s warren that’s been doing the hard yards.
Roz may well have had involvement too, but Warren is the stand out

(Edit. Sorry. Didn’t mean to dis Roz. Just wanted it pointed out that it’s Warren (and not for the first time) who stepped up.
Many others helping out too it seems from Warren’s update)
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

All I've done is copy information from the GoFundMe appeal, Violet is correct - Warren has done all the work.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

rozzieoz wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:21 pm All I've done is copy information from the GoFundMe appeal, Violet is correct - Warren has done all the work.
And you have done a good job keeping us all informed about the welfare of Lee and Mel.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

On GoFundme today

Today
by Warren Daly, Organizer
Thanks for your support.

Lee received extensive wound debridement on both legs yesterday. He remains in a neck brace due to his spinal injuries. He's eating regularly, and is able to spend short periods listening to music, or interacting with family online when he has sufficient energy.
We hope to learn more about a potential date for meshing skin grafts soon.

Mel's received an ultrasound on her right leg yesterday. There are no complications, and her blood tests returned healthy results.

NB* A strict no visitor policy is in place at the hospital, and negative PCR tests are required. As soon as they're discharged they'll be moved to an after care clinic for rehabilitation - we'll arrange visiting hours.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Don't forget the Fundraiser show at Oscar's tonight - three bands in the lineup, it's going to be great!
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

Did the truck stop?
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

pissontheroof wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:01 pm Slippery bathrooms are worse imo,

That’s a big 10 - 4. Slick wet floors !
I took a few nasty slips on slippery floors. Now i got non slip rugs everywhere as stepping stones .
Insurance is a big waste of money unless it’s life insurance and your beneficiary will definitely get it .
I got an extra wheel on my moto and haven’t had any injury road accident since that
Other insurance is wasteful unless you can make a claim and make it pay off .
Travel health insurance has save my life twice, without it I don't know what I would have done.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

pissontheroof wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:01 pm Insurance is a big waste of money unless it’s life insurance and your beneficiary will definitely get it .
I got an extra wheel on my moto and haven’t had any injury road accident since that
How is medical/hospital insurance wasteful when this case shows otherwise?

If they'd had their own insurance, they wouldn't be needing Go FundMe..
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

simon43 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:06 pm Did the truck stop?
Judging by the photo on the Gofundme one of them was trapped under it so I would figure it stopped but how far they were dragged.... a horrible sounding accident
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

Clutch Cargo wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:21 pm
pissontheroof wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:01 pm Insurance is a big waste of money unless it’s life insurance and your beneficiary will definitely get it .
How is medical/hospital insurance wasteful when this case shows otherwise?

If they'd had their own insurance, they wouldn't be needing Go FundMe..
I don't think it is helpful to pick on the fact folks don't have insurance after the event, especially one as serious as this. It does raise the general point though and I hope if anyone else regularly rides or has any potential health issues who don't have insurance maybe reconsider this.

I would agree it is never a waste. I realize some people would disagree but personally I spent over $1500 per year on insurance in Cambodia, never used it. Was told I had wasted it, I said the peace of mind was worth it and definitely not a waste. What I spent in 10 years would have cost the same as the first lot of treatment for these guys.

I had a friend work for an embassy and he would tell me the stories of folks who had no insurance and their families having to sell their houses for treatment as well as those who had insurance and something happens that cost $200,000+.

I recall there was a young guy a few years back who got dragged down 51 and ended up losing his leg and he posted that all operations, medivac to Bangkok then to Australia and it cost $150,000+ but had insurance. Never going to be a waste.

A moot point in this instance I wish them both a speedy recovery
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic