Critical Care for Lee and Mel (GoFundMe)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Re: Critical Care for Lee and Mel (GoFundMe)

Post by truffledog »

I wish both people a fast recovery and a good return to normal life.

I start to be convinced that a reasonable travel insurance should be mandatory to avoid many after-accident tragedies. Thousands of $ are spent on less important items..a few hundred for an insurance should be possible to include in the budget?
work is for people who cant find truffles
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Today
by Warren Daly, Organizer
A heartfelt thanks for all of your support. This is a challenging situation and I thank you all for your patience awaiting updates.

Mel's operation on Monday afternoon was successful. She's recovering and is in a stable condition. She's semi-mobile and is in good spirits.

Lee has fractured his C1 and C2 vertebrae (top of the spine, at the base of the skull) he is in a stable condition and his recovery is moving in a positive direction.

For those based in Cambodia.
*No visitors are allowed into the ward. I have been authorized, and I require regular PCR tests.
*We do not expect any further need for blood donations at this time. Thank you to everybody who gave donations at Khmer Soviet hospital.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

truffledog wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:39 pm I start to be convinced that a reasonable travel insurance should be mandatory to avoid many after-accident tragedies.
Travel insurance is only for tourists on short visits. They live here.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:24 pm
truffledog wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:39 pm I start to be convinced that a reasonable travel insurance should be mandatory to avoid many after-accident tragedies.
Travel insurance is only for tourists on short visits. They live here.
Moto insurance is a must, but it's not always easy to get! I could get insurance for 400cc but not the 125cc, Infinity Insurance is @$170 for a 400cc with personal injury cover. @$74 3rd party only.
I am glad to hear the 2 involved have got medical attention.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

truffledog wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:39 pm I wish both people a fast recovery and a good return to normal life.

I start to be convinced that a reasonable travel insurance should be mandatory to avoid many after-accident tragedies. Thousands of $ are spent on less important items..a few hundred for an insurance should be possible to include in the budget?
I'd look to Aplus, these are the "Easycare" plans https://aplusii.com/easycare-plans/

Plan 1 looks to cover $200K of inpatient surgeries, Plan 2 is $400K

Here are the annual costs https://aplusii.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... _Table.pdf

So if you are 50 years old and take Plan 1 at $5K deductible and only in Southeast Asia it is $759 a year so just over $60 per month. ($1K deductible is at $897). You have kids under 18 they will be $30ish monthly

Happy for the two in the OP that they seem to be getting the help they need and recovering, even though the rehab will be a long process for them.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Slippery bathrooms are worse imo,

That’s a big 10 - 4. Slick wet floors !
I took a few nasty slips on slippery floors. Now i got non slip rugs everywhere as stepping stones .
Insurance is a big waste of money unless it’s life insurance and your beneficiary will definitely get it .
I got an extra wheel on my moto and haven’t had any injury road accident since that
Other insurance is wasteful unless you can make a claim and make it pay off .
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

I think everyone knows that health/accident insurance rather than travel insurance is the issue, maybe this kind of accident sheds a different light on another topic the OP raised ask-the-expats-questions-answers/medica ... 41674.html
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

On Friday night three bands will be collaborating for a fundraiser for Lee and Mel.

Oscar's on the Corner, Street 104.

Cambodia Country Band
Extraordinary Chambers
Joe & the Jumping Jacks

If anyone would like to send a donation to my Paypal or Suncorp account in Aus please contact me, or pay through the go Fund Me link.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Almost half the goal has been raised.

April 23, 2022
by Warren Daly, Organizer
Thank you for your generous support.

Mel is making good progress, although she has a plate and screws in her left forearm and will require appreciable rehabilitation. Today Mel's drip was removed and she's gaining mobility, albeit slowly.

Lee is incapacitated but stable. He's eating regularly and is building his strength. His C1 and C2 neck fractures will require him to wear a neck brace for several weeks.
Lee sustained considerable injuries to both legs. He requires meshing skin grafts to cover a substantial area on his left leg. We hope to secure a midweek slot for his graft.

NB.
Thank you to our wonderful friends who are providing wholesome lunches and dinners for Lee and Mel. (Srey Nat, Tris, Joel, you're absolute legends).
I've been able to secure an assistant to stay with Mel & Lee 24/7 to offer me some respite. I'll endeavor to update you all soon.
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

You are a good friend Rozzie I am certain they appreciate your efforts and time ..I friend in need is a friend indeed we all hope we would have someone like you if and when the need arises.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic