Faulty Street Electric Cables Burn Down 6 Houses

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Faulty Street Electric Cables Burn Down 6 Houses

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): On April 13, 2022, at 9:30 am on Street 247, village 10, group 27, Sangkat Boeung Salang, Khan Toul Kork, the power lines from house #54 caught on fire, which quickly spread and led to the destruction of 5 other neighboring houses.
The fire was successfully put out at 11:10 am by the firemen. There was considerable material damage, but fortunately nobody was hurt.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Faulty Street Electric Cables Burn Down 6 Houses

Post by AndyKK »

Is there any responsibility?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

AndyKK wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:41 am Is there any responsibility?

An act of Buddha
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

AndyKK wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:41 am Is there any responsibility?
They lash up this stuff with little care and get away with it most of the time. Every now and then their luck runs out and somewhere burns down. It's cheaper than refitting the entire city!
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I remember some years ago when I lived in the countryside, if you could get connected to the electricity supply, you had to provide the cable yourself from your house to the electricity point where the company would connect the mains.
Considering that, is it the same in the city? Because I could see many corners being cut by what quality cable is provided. There's also the maintenance of the cable, such has how old it is, how long it's been in place and has it been damaged over the years.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

AndyKK wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:38 pm I remember some years ago when I lived in the countryside, if you could get connected to the electricity supply, you had to provide the cable yourself from your house to the electricity point where the company would connect the mains.
Considering that, is it the same in the city? Because I could see many corners being cut by what quality cable is provided. There's also the maintenance of the cable, such has how old it is, how long it's been in place and has it been damaged over the years.
I wouldn't be surprised if you had to run you mains supply cable from the back of your fuseboard right to the meter box and they then connect to the mains.

In the UK every cable into the meter is the Electric company's, everything out of it, which then goes to your fuseboard is yours. It's the same here, the only difference is the meters are in your home in the UK and on the street here.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

A lot of wiring here, is permanently exposed to the elements, when it’s not really designed or expected to be. Insulation breaks down. UV accelerates it. There are appropriate materials for external cabling, but they’ll not be cheap. Everyone everywhere wants it done cheaply.

Wiring naturally ages, especially the older stuff. Materials tech has moved on, but it’s likely that has not made it into the majority of installations, yet.

Certain countries in the world have horrendous standards and quality control, and equally a couldn’t give a damn attitude about the end user. China, for instance, churns out enormous quantities of products, many of which wouldn’t pass inspection in many countries, but get sold at bargain basement prices where funds are limited.

Bundling cables together just allows for hotspots, and to reinforce some electrical principles.
Some insulation quite readily burns, especially as it ages. And aged insulation easily leads to short circuits, exacerbated by shockingly bad workmanship.
It’s a recipe, repeated over and over.

What’s remarkable is that these events don’t happen more often, and with more loss of life.

The headline is faulty street electric cables- it would not surprise me to find that the cables performed exactly as expected. The whole installation was the fault, but anyone can easily blame the cable as it’s clearly burning. Evidenced by photos.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

AndyKK wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:38 pm I remember some years ago when I lived in the countryside, if you could get connected to the electricity supply, you had to provide the cable yourself from your house to the electricity point where the company would connect the mains.
Here in the sticks where I am, there’s all kinds of lash jobs from the company mains boxes to the houses. Regular two core cable (because it’s cheaper) cables from multiple houses all connected at one point of source (with the single bill being split between them) lengths of cable spliced badly, cables that have been up so long all the insulation is perished and split, but the worst is the fished together bamboo poles and tree branches that are used to support the wires going to the houses.
They’re forever rotting off at the base or being broken (those slung across the road are routinely getting snagged by taller trucks passing under them) and the cables end up on the ground. Not such a problem in itself, but when it’s rainy season and there’s standing water, there’s the risk of electrocution. Behind our place is about three acres of rice paddy, and there’s four cables slung haphazardly across it to some homes that are 150 meters or so back from the road, more than once we’ve considered buying this land, but the cables slung though the middle have always put me off (I’m not interested in getting into it with the neighbors about rerouting their cables) I’ve lost count of the number of times the cables have been trailing along the ground.
Anyway, just a couple of weeks back, one of the bamboo posts had keeled over, the cables laid on the wet ground and a cow was electrocuted and killed instantly, but it could just as easily been one or more of the dozens of folk who walk across that same piece of land on a daily basis.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Chad Sexington wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:15 pm
Here in the sticks where I am, there’s all kinds of lash jobs from the company mains boxes to the houses. Regular two core cable (because it’s cheaper) cables from multiple houses all connected at one point of source (with the single bill being split between them) lengths of cable spliced badly, cables that have been up so long all the insulation is perished and split, but the worst is the fished together bamboo poles and tree branches that are used to support the wires going to the houses.
They’re forever rotting off at the base or being broken (those slung across the road are routinely getting snagged by taller trucks passing under them) and the cables end up on the ground. Not such a problem in itself, but when it’s rainy season and there’s standing water, there’s the risk of electrocution. Behind our place is about three acres of rice paddy, and there’s four cables slung haphazardly across it to some homes that are 150 meters or so back from the road, more than once we’ve considered buying this land, but the cables slung though the middle have always put me off (I’m not interested in getting into it with the neighbors about rerouting their cables) I’ve lost count of the number of times the cables have been trailing along the ground.
Anyway, just a couple of weeks back, one of the bamboo posts had keeled over, the cables laid on the wet ground and a cow was electrocuted and killed instantly, but it could just as easily been one or more of the dozens of folk who walk across that same piece of land on a daily basis.
The house I built was a good 150+ meters from the mains connection point. The cable I would have had to supply was at the time $1 per meter, but the better choice of cable $3 per meter. Also there's the fuse box to buy, also the support post's you have mentioned, the cost of connection I forget, but there was also a returnable deposit to pay upfront.
Has it happened in the end they would not connect me because they had to be a number of other houses in the area wanting a supply.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Another Faulty Street Cable Fire Today ...
Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): At 11:40 am on April 20, 2022, on Street 2004, Sangkat Obekka'om, Khan Sen Sok, the power cables caught fire in broad daylight terrifying the people who live nearby.
ImageImage
According to the police, the fire was started by faulty internet cables. Fortunately, the fire was controlled as the fire-fighters prevented it from spreading to the nextdoor premises and burning down the neighboring houses .
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic