Brother Beaten to Death with a Hoe

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Brother Beaten to Death with a Hoe

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News, (Phnom Penh): A 29-year-old male farmer was sent by the Investigating Judge of Battambang Provincial Court on April 11, 2022 to be remanded in custody in prison to wait for legal action in connection with the murder of his brother at Prey Ta Or in Svay Sor village, Treng commune, Rattanak Mondul district, Battambang province on April 9, 2022.

According to the Investigating Judge's pre-trial detention order, the accused, Seng Kunthea, attacked his older brother, Seng Pheaktra, 32, with a hoe during a family argument. He beat his brother until he was dead, and police arrested the attacker shortly afterwards.

Seng Kunthea is on trial for charges of murder under the provisions of Article 199 of the Penal Code and faces up to 10 to 15 years in prison if convicted.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Brother Beaten to Death with a Hoe

Post by cabron »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:26 pm Image
Cambodia News, (Phnom Penh): A 29-year-old male farmer was sent by the Investigating Judge of Battambang Provincial Court on April 11, 2022 to be remanded in custody in prison to wait for legal action in connection with the murder of his brother at Prey Ta Or in Svay Sor village, Treng commune, Rattanak Mondul district, Battambang province on April 9, 2022.

According to the Investigating Judge's pre-trial detention order, the accused, Seng Kunthea, attacked his older brother, Seng Pheaktra, 32, with a hoe during a family argument. He beat his brother until he was dead, and police arrested the attacker shortly afterwards.

Seng Kunthea is on trial for charges of murder under the provisions of Article 199 of the Penal Code and faces up to 10 to 15 years in prison if convicted.
Violent family feud, very common in Cambodia.
Boredom is like a shroud
Lost50
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lost50 »

Hoely smokes, thats shocking.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

UPDATE More details:
A later report from a Khmer news source says that both the brothers were using drugs, (presumably methamphetamine) while staying together in a forest hut guarding a plantation.
The two men began to fight, and then the the younger brother beat the other man on the head with a hoe and set fire to him. He then ran off into the forest.
The victim was found dead from his wounds the next day by another man who was bringing food to the two plantation guards. The suspected killer was found roaming in the forest nearby, and was taken in for questioning by the police as the prime murder suspect.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

10-15 years for a murder? And life for drugs?
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
krisduncs
Expatriate

Post by krisduncs »

Yeh but he wouldnt have murdered him WITHOUT the drugs........
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

I find the use of the term "brother" extremely overrated in Cambodia, like it doesn't seem to mean a thing.
Brother killing brother ? check
Big Brother leading to zero ? check
Calling you brother after a few interactions ? check

That was one of the very first red flag to me, Khmer person calling me brother after a couple of beers.
Never had that in asia before, while a decade.

The Goat
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by The Goat »

"That was one of the very first red flag to me, Khmer person calling me brother after a couple of beers.
Never had that in asia before, while a decade."

Having a good understanding of both languages makes it easier to figure out why Khmers use the word brother so often.
In their language, it is very important to address people by their proper status. (Whether it is Aunt, Grandpa, Brother, Sister, etc) Also, do identify who is older for respect reasons.

I also understand that the word "Bro" when used in western culture can be dodgy or similar to "prison talk" Especially when using the word with strangers.

I have tried to teach my students this before about the different ways the word is used and where/when appropriate.

Most of the time, they use the word "Brother" exactly translated from how they would say it in their language to English- to be polite. Not necessarily because they want something or are trying to . For example, "Bong Bro" would be saying politely older brother with no reference to western ideology. Since the word is same for Bro itself in English and Khmer, it is more commonly used.

Of course, the word is used differently by different people at times/places. For example, If a potential zombie approaches on st.172 calling me "Bro" yes, that is a red flag...... But in the countryside, under different circumstances- it is simply Khmers translating word for word with good intentions.

Reminds me of asking Khmers in their own language "How are they doing?" Many times they respond with the simple "Fine" or they will answer with "Yes" (in english) They are simply translating the word Bart to Yes in english.

Not too complicated as the "F" word certainly.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

krisduncs wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:32 am Yeh but he wouldnt have murdered him WITHOUT the drugs........

Or the hoe.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic