"Old" Honda CR-V, finding parts? Kampot or PP?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

"Old" Honda CR-V, finding parts? Kampot or PP?

Post by AE86 »

Hi all,

Working on a Gen 1 CR-V (B20A4 motor for what it's worth) and I'm having a bitch of a time trying to locate parts in Kampot. I can't even find a shop that has a new thermostat, coolant temp sensor or fan relay for sale (the reason the motor overheated and killed over in the first place).

None of "my guys" has anything related to these old Hondas, does anyone know a parts person they know who stocks stuff for CR-Vs?

Kampot preferred, but Phnom Penh is okay too as I suspect I will need to go eventually to stock up on other things.

Cheers,
AE86
-insert signature here
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Re: "Old" Honda CR-V, finding parts? Kampot or PP?

Post by mannanman »

Try here. Car parts place next to a bamboo/wood seller.

Alternatively try the CUS college/car repair place down from 2000 monument.

About 5 years ago a mate had the gearbox reconditioned on a gen 1 CRV. Now it’s hard to get parts for them so it’s second hand only, unless you order the parts in from Japan.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

AE86 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:12 pm Hi all,

Working on a Gen 1 CR-V (B20A4 motor for what it's worth) and I'm having a bitch of a time trying to locate parts in Kampot. I can't even find a shop that has a new thermostat, coolant temp sensor or fan relay for sale (the reason the motor overheated and killed over in the first place).

None of "my guys" has anything related to these old Hondas, does anyone know a parts person they know who stocks stuff for CR-Vs?

Kampot preferred, but Phnom Penh is okay too as I suspect I will need to go eventually to stock up on other things.

Cheers,
AE86
I was servicing one in Kampot a number of times last year - only place for parts is across from the Chinese emporium on new bridge road - and they are pretty limited in what they have.

I did next day ordering from Hong Ly Heng Auto Parts in PP - they are on Facebook
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

Cheers guys, sorry for the later reply.

Place on 2000 monument didn't have what I wanted, and I only found an oil filter at the other places. Probably going to have to order and wait.
-insert signature here
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

AE86 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:42 pm Cheers guys, sorry for the later reply.

Place on 2000 monument didn't have what I wanted, and I only found an oil filter at the other places. Probably going to have to order and wait.
Lot of places shutting down already for KNY including shipping companies.

Have you thought about just getting rid and getting a Rav4? :Yahoo!:
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

mannanman wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:22 pm Lot of places shutting down already for KNY including shipping companies.

No plans to work on it until after KNY so no worries there.

Actually I'm more drawn to another Land Rover or Range Rover like I used to have, once finances are in order. I miss having a "true" off road capable vehicle with stout running gear.

CR-Vs, Rav4s, Highlanders, RX3/400s etc are way too soft for my liking, but they're easy to flog for some quick cash when the time comes so I just treat it as a lump of "cash" with wheels.
-insert signature here
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

AE86 wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:22 pm
mannanman wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:22 pm Lot of places shutting down already for KNY including shipping companies.

No plans to work on it until after KNY so no worries there.

Actually I'm more drawn to another Land Rover or Range Rover like I used to have, once finances are in order. I miss having a "true" off road capable vehicle with stout running gear.

CR-Vs, Rav4s, Highlanders, RX3/400s etc are way too soft for my liking, but they're easy to flog for some quick cash when the time comes so I just treat it as a lump of "cash" with wheels.
Most of the RX300 and Highlanders are 2WD just that most people don’t realise. Even the CRV are usually 2WD or they’ve had the rear drive shafts removed!

Range Rovers and Land Rovers are great cars but parts are horrendous (especially suspension), even consumables - tyres $160+ ea your CRV $55/$65 for a European brand like Michelin or Bridgestone, oil filters are like $40 etc. Plus they’ve got those terrible air suspension setups.
Saying that I’ve seen some very tidy Defenders here. All tricked up.

Use a great garage in PP. Expensive but bloody good.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

mannanman wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:35 pm Most of the RX300 and Highlanders are 2WD just that most people don’t realise. Even the CRV are usually 2WD or they’ve had the rear drive shafts removed!

Range Rovers and Land Rovers are great cars but parts are horrendous (especially suspension), even consumables - tyres $160+ ea your CRV $55/$65 for a European brand like Michelin or Bridgestone, oil filters are like $40 etc. Plus they’ve got those terrible air suspension setups.
Saying that I’ve seen some very tidy Defenders here. All tricked up.

Use a great garage in PP. Expensive but bloody good.
Actually almost every Khmer I've talked to prefers the 2WD Highlander/Lexus equivalent because "save gas".... :| Even the resale values are higher.

Suspension isn't actually that bad (I've had a P38, L320, Discovery II, LR3 and Discovery 4) and once every 10 years you go through a $1000 refresh and you're good. I find it really useful offroading, but I actually take my Landies off road a lot so it gets used.

I also do all my own work though, so, I can only imagine a shop here trying to explain the air suspension system to customers and trying to get them to fix it properly though... Great for me though, L320s and 322s are almost the same price as a 4 cylinder 2WD Highlander now!

Tyres not too much different than a Hilux or any basic pickup unless you run 20s or 22s (I usually opt for fat tyre small rim combo that no one thinks is stylish). Last set ran me $450 I think, and on my old Frontier it was about the same.

Only thing I don't care for is the newer (2014 plus) model digital dash and infotainment system, they're incredibly bad for the price point and make using your actual car really annoying. Probably why I'll not actually end up getting a Landie in the end to be honest, I can't stand half the functions of my car being a touch screen or scroll wheel, let alone a laggy touch screen and scroll wheel. Give me a button to turn on my seat's A/C, not a menu I need to read...

Haha, rant over...
-insert signature here
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Post by lostjeremy »

Id recommend finding parts from Amayama. I've been ordering parts from them for a couple years now. Always arrives within a week. See if they have what you need...

https://www.amayama.com/en/catalogs/hon ... d-1995-257

Sent from my CPH2159 using Tapatalk

ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

If you go for a LandRover, especially the old ones, you can not trust any workshop here in Cambodia (read: only if you can do any imaginable repair by yourself, buy the car). I have a 1995 Defender, original 300TDi engine, 400k on the clock. Oil filters I take the ones from Toyota. They are a bit longer in size, but the thread fits. Oil from Total. Tires I stocked up last time I was in Thailand (there is a super knowledgeable guy in Chiang Mai for turbos and injection pumps). The rest comes from Paddock Spares or John Craddock. Avoid Britpart by any means. Or if I visit Malaysia, my suitcase is full of Spares...
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic