"Old" Honda CR-V, finding parts? Kampot or PP?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Re:

Post by mannanman »

lostjeremy wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:26 am Id recommend finding parts from Amayama. I've been ordering parts from them for a couple years now. Always arrives within a week. See if they have what you need...

https://www.amayama.com/en/catalogs/hon ... d-1995-257

Sent from my CPH2159 using Tapatalk
Holy crap. Stuff for Mk1 CRV are ridiculously expensive!
$700 for a windshield, plus shipping!
People of the world, spice up your life.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Re: "Old" Honda CR-V, finding parts? Kampot or PP?

Post by AE86 »

ressl wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:30 pm If you go for a LandRover, especially the old ones, you can not trust any workshop here in Cambodia (read: only if you can do any imaginable repair by yourself, buy the car). I have a 1995 Defender, original 300TDi engine, 400k on the clock. Oil filters I take the ones from Toyota. They are a bit longer in size, but the thread fits. Oil from Total. Tires I stocked up last time I was in Thailand (there is a super knowledgeable guy in Chiang Mai for turbos and injection pumps). The rest comes from Paddock Spares or John Craddock. Avoid Britpart by any means. Or if I visit Malaysia, my suitcase is full of Spares...
I know a lot less about "classic" diesel Landies (only Rover V8s), as every one I've had minus the P38 were Ford/Jag AJ powered ones. However Envotech (I think it's called) has never been a problem in terms of getting proper parts for me. Injection and lift pump on the L320 was $1200, but was readily available without issue, same with the compressor, air bags and level sensor, timing chain guides (SC motor), etc.

No idea on the Ingenium diesel or petrol motors though, not a real fan of the new Gen Landies and Rangies to be honest.
-insert signature here
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

The 200TDI engine was crap but the 300TDI much improved.
I’ve had a Discovery (200TDI!) and a V8 “classic” Range Rover, which I loved. Replaced all the swivel joints and ball joints. Very capable car. Mate had a Freelander which was utterly useless both off road and on. Really unreliable.

Also had a SWB Landcruiser diesel. Bullet proof.
People of the world, spice up your life.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

mannanman wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:31 pm The 200TDI engine was crap but the 300TDI much improved.
I’ve had a Discovery (200TDI!) and a V8 “classic” Range Rover, which I loved. Replaced all the swivel joints and ball joints. Very capable car. Mate had a Freelander which was utterly useless both off road and on. Really unreliable.

Also had a SWB Landcruiser diesel. Bullet proof.
Of all my Landies, I miss my 3.9 the most, despite the barely adequate horsepower (plenty of torque) and 11-14 mpg fuel economy. That thing would crawl over everything and run perfect temps in the hottest of summers after the "bulletproof" work was done to it. Never had a moments trouble with the drivetrain.

I also had a 1 year old Freelander (petrol V6, 2.5?) as a demo car when I worked for a luxury car dealership, and in the one day I had it I found the radio volume didn't work (only turned the volume up in either direction), the driver's power window wouldn't roll down, and there was considerable driveline shunting from 1st to 2nd shifts and sometimes 2nd to 3rd. 11k miles on the clock, was a miserable piece of work. (heard the Freelander 2 with the 3.2 is considerably better though in every way).

Demanded I be given the Disco 3 after that...
-insert signature here
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

Cooling system overhauled, but engine beyond saving unfortunately...

...so if anyone has an old CR-V sitting around and you don't need the engine... :)
-insert signature here
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

mannanman wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:41 pm
About 5 years ago a mate had the gearbox reconditioned on a gen 1 CRV. Now it’s hard to get parts for them so it’s second hand only, unless you order the parts in from Japan.
I just looked through the service records, and this CR-V also had the gearbox redone about that time. I'm wondering if it's the same car?
-insert signature here
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic