French support proposal to make it an offence to avoid housework

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

French support proposal to make it an offence to avoid housework

Post by armchairlawyer »

Almost half of French people back a proposal to make it a criminal offence to shirk domestic chores, according to a new poll.

The survey for the Ifop institute also found that if the proposal was implemented, 14 per cent of respondents would be prepared to file a criminal lawsuit against their spouses or partners for failing to do their share of the housework.

The idea was floated last month by Sandrine Rousseau, 50, a self-styled eco-feminist, after she was dismissed as a campaign adviser by Yannick Jadot, 54, the Europe-Ecology-The Greens presidential candidate, for being too radical.

“I would like there to be . . . an offence of non-sharing of domestic chores because I think private lives are political,” she said.

Rousseau argued that a law on housework was necessary because “we have hardly progressed at all since the 1970s”. She said men had only increased the time spent on domestic chores by 14 minutes since then, and that if the current rate of change continued, it would take 6,300 years to achieve equality in France.

Women, she added, devoted on average ten hours and 30 minutes more a week to housework than men and should be given the right to initiate criminal proceedings against their partners.

Under the proposed law, people would be able to report work-shy spouses and partners to the police, prompting an investigation and a possible prosecution.
Most media outlets initially dismissed her idea, before being taken aback by the findings of the poll of 1,992 people. A total of 50 per cent of women and 44 per cent of men approved of the idea.

A further 15 per cent of women said they would “probably or certainly” file a criminal lawsuit against their partners to “force them to take their share of domestic and parental tasks”.

A total of 13 per cent of men said they were also ready to file a lawsuit against their wives or partners for the same reason.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/fren ... -kbx3j83bc
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Re: French support proposal to make it an offence to avoid housework

Post by Tootsfriend »

I fully support this idea and it should be a law in Cambodia, but, but, but, it must include the kids in your own family . I'll be the first one to show it to the kids in my family even if I have to lie about it being pasted by HE.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

One more reason not to have a live-in "spouse or partner" who could sue. Kick them out on time and leave the chores to the maid.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

This is hilarious. Just hire a maid and nobody has to sue anyone.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:14 am
Rousseau argued that a law on housework was necessary because “we have hardly progressed at all since the 1970s”. She said men had only increased the time spent on domestic chores by 14 minutes since then, and that if the current rate of change continued, it would take 6,300 years to achieve equality in France.
I wonder how long it would take to achieve equality in Cambodia? A good challenge for mathematicians to recalculate the furthest depths of infinity.
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

more reasons to sue !!! does the word need more reasons :please:
would probably be very popular with ambulance chasers in USA :stir:
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

"Don't sweat the small things"-Dunno

I like my clothes out where I can see them, and it's good to air the bed out each day.

Mum was never buying it.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:14 am Almost half of French people back a proposal to make it a criminal offence to shirk domestic chores, according to a new poll.

The survey for the Ifop institute also found that if the proposal was implemented, 14 per cent of respondents would be prepared to file a criminal lawsuit against their spouses or partners for failing to do their share of the housework.

The idea was floated last month by Sandrine Rousseau, 50, a self-styled eco-feminist, after she was dismissed as a campaign adviser by Yannick Jadot, 54, the Europe-Ecology-The Greens presidential candidate, for being too radical.

“I would like there to be . . . an offence of non-sharing of domestic chores because I think private lives are political,” she said.

Women, she added, devoted on average ten hours and 30 minutes more a week to housework than men and should be given the right to initiate criminal proceedings against their partners.

Under the proposed law, people would be able to report work-shy spouses and partners to the police, prompting an investigation and a possible prosecution.
Most media outlets initially dismissed her idea, before being taken aback by the findings of the poll of 1,992 people. A total of 50 per cent of women and 44 per cent of men approved of the idea.

A further 15 per cent of women said they would “probably or certainly” file a criminal lawsuit against their partners to “force them to take their share of domestic and parental tasks”.

A total of 13 per cent of men said they were also ready to file a lawsuit against their wives or partners for the same reason.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/fren ... -kbx3j83bc
"Almost half of French people back a proposal to make it a criminal offence to shirk domestic chores, according to a new poll"

I read that as "More than 60% of French people oppose frivolous new domestic law"
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Men? I think not...
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

haha the police will just love that... If it ain't enough dealing with messy family disputes with abuse and violence, then there's this..

And why stop there. Why not report your partner for cheating on you, or wasting the household's finances on grog or gambling? Or your contribution to earning money and/or responsibility for bringing up the kids? Where do you stop with all this?

Do they want a nanny state or something akin to big brother aka PRC's social credit score?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic