Strange Overstay Visa Situation

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
BobtheBillder
Expatriate

Re: Strange Overstay Visa Situation

Post by BobtheBillder »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:44 pm
BobtheBillder wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:58 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:11 pm
Edit: When exactly did you actually arrive in Cambodia, and on what type of Visa did you enter on?
Maybe he's got the overstay amnesty if he entered on a tourist visa early in 2020 right?
That's why I asked, but after re-reading his post it says he arrived last year, so he wouldn't be eligible for the exemption and waiver.
Maybe by "last year" he meant 2020 because he says he was here when COVID began.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Yea, he hasn't been clear at all which is why I asked. He doesn't appear to be responding so guess he isn't really interested in getting any advice or information.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

BobtheBillder wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:49 pm How did you apply for renewal and who gave you the receipt? Did you hand your passport to someone and why didn't you go back to that place after a few weeks demanding your passport?

Did you enter on a tourist visa?
From the OP, it's a UK passport. The way you renew is you take your application form, photos and your old passport and photocopies of it) to a company called VFS. One of the docs is a form giving your credit/debit card details and authorisation for the Passport office to take payment. VFS is contracted by the UK Passport office (other governments also use them including Australia). The application for renewal and the issue of the new passport is then handled by the UK passport office in the UK and payment seems to be taken when they receive the application from Cambodia. You keep the old passport for ID purposes.
VFS don't have any control over the process once they have sent the application to the UK.
BobtheBillder
Expatriate

Post by BobtheBillder »

Bluenose wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:38 am
BobtheBillder wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:49 pm How did you apply for renewal and who gave you the receipt? Did you hand your passport to someone and why didn't you go back to that place after a few weeks demanding your passport?

From the OP, it's a UK passport. The way you renew is you take your application form, photos and your old passport and photocopies of it) to a company called VFS. One of the docs is a form giving your credit/debit card details and authorisation for the Passport office to take payment. VFS is contracted by the UK Passport office (other governments also use them including Australia). The application for renewal and the issue of the new passport is then handled by the UK passport office in the UK and payment seems to be taken when they receive the application from Cambodia. You keep the old passport for ID purposes.
VFS don't have any control over the process once they have sent the application to the UK.
Thanks how do you get the passport back?
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:12 pm Yea, he hasn't been clear at all which is why I asked. He doesn't appear to be responding so guess he isn't really interested in getting any advice or information.
*she*
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

BobtheBillder wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:28 pm
Bluenose wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:38 am

Thanks how do you get the passport back?
When the new one is issued the UK Passport Agency send it via DHL to VFS who then email or phone you to come and collect it.
Jaas
Tourist
Pakistan

Post by Jaas »

PSD-Kiwi I've been following your helpful comments on people who find themselves in difficult situations and in need of good advice. I am from Pakistan and arrived in Cambodia on a one-month E-Visa in February 2023 for work. The person who brought me here promised to convert my E-Visa to a six-month work permit, but after a month, they left, leaving me stuck here without proper legal paperwork. Although my colleagues are kind, their kindness cannot pay for the penalty fees that I may incur. Sadly, I have been scammed out of $2000 when I tried reaching out to people for help. I was asked to send my passport, ID, and payment to apply for another E-Visa for a month and clear the rest of the penalties. I had to work for an additional six months to make up for the lost funds, but I am still uncertain whether I can cover the penalty fees. Is there any way to negotiate the charges? :please:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic