Where to buy drills, that are not x.0 and x.5?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Where to buy drills, that are not x.0 and x.5?

Post by ressl »

I ran into this problem before, ending up buying some cheap shit from AliExpress (3.3mm drill for an M4 thread). But there has to be a source here in Phnom Penh as well. The current the object of desire is a 6.2mm drill
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Where to buy drills, that are not x.0 and x.5?

Post by AndyKK »

I have had nothing but problem's with buying drill bits here, you must ask for the best, stating that "don't want Chinese one's" they are like butter. Even so, the good ones don't last. I have even tried to have drills resharpened, but it is waste of time.
Please let me know if you find something reasonable.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Did you check the Global House home improvement store in Sen Sok? Huge array of home tools (Draper, DeWalt, etc) & equipment there. That said, I needed particular thread/size bolts for a small home fix job once, and I ended up finding them at the home improvement place on Mao Tse Toung - can't recall 100%, but think it was called Home-Fix.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Home Fix on Mao Tse Toung
Global House near Aeon 2
There are also official distributors of Bosch, Makita and De Walt in PP, locations can be Googled
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Best shop I ever found for drill bits was the hardware store on the west side of 163 about 100 metres or so before the Russian Market if coming from the north.
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

Thanks guys. Global home I had been a while before, they have just the ordinary sizes. I know that I will get a lot of laughter now, but for my staff the Berrylions fit best. They instantly kill any Bosch drill, but the Berries last a couple of attempts. I prefer any HSSCO5 drill with good centring capabilities, but gave up completely on this here.
Yes, Home Fix has a nice selection of tools, however I prefer an other shop on the other side of the road, around 100m more in the direction of the Chinese embassy. The trick is not to buy the drills from the store, they have a small table close to the cashier and those drills (which are basically 100% the same) cost just 50% of what they cost, if you get the pack from their store.
Makita I know, but had totally forgotten about, thanks for reminding me, I will pay them a visit tomorrow. DeWalt I wasn't aware, I will check that out tomorrow as well. However I got very curious about that shop willyhilly mentioned, however without a name or picture it might get hard to find, because this road has hundreds of tool shops in this area...
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

There are a number of hardware stores on or near 110. Another spot is DIY. Is this for metal or wood?
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

the 6.2 I am currently chasing is for aluminium, so either way would do the job, although I seriously doubt, that there are drills in 0.1mm steps available for wood
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic