Riverside death Tuesday, April 5th

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Riverside death Tuesday, April 5th

Post by bossho »

I am certain some of the readership here must have observed the scene of what appeared to be a foreign man's death and body recovery down on the retaining wall of the river between blocks 118 and 110 yesterday afternoon. The deceased appeared to be foreigner although I am not certain of that, he appeared to be 50+ years of age and the skin on his entire head was dark purple (cyanosis?) and he appeared to have trauma in the form of lacerations or similar about the shoulders and upper torso. I was told that one side of the deceased had significant trauma also.

Now, did the trauma observed occur from a jump off the Chrouy Changvar bridge and the man's body then washed up downstream or was the trauma created near the body recovery area? Police and local news crews were attending to the scene all afternoon and again, that was between blocks 118 and 110 down on the river retaining wall where the wall is bisected by a horizontal sidewalk and on that sidewalk in about the middle of the retaining wall is where the police were attending to the deceased.

Does anyone have any more information or theories on this matter?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Riverside death Tuesday, April 5th

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Can't find anything about it on any of the local media sites such as Fresh news, etc., which is odd :chin:
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Tuesday, 5 April, 2022 16:57 PM
Cambodia News, Phnom Penh: At 3:20 pm on April 5, 2022, the body of an unidentified man was found floating in the river, causing a surprise to the people and the police at riverside point in Sangkat Phsar Kandal, Khan Daun Penh, Phnom Penh.

On the afternoon of the 5th, the Post News team received a report that a resident had found the body of an unidentified man floating in the river. This case also caused a surprise to the local authorities to visit and retrieve the body and put it on the ground to autopsy the body of the victim.

What caused the death of the above victim? Our team does not yet know the exact reason. At the moment, forensic experts are conducting an autopsy to find the cause of death of the victim.
The victim was over 30 years old, slightly white, wearing gray trousers and a black belt.

In the case of the above case, if the family members are missing, please come and check the location of the scene at the riverfront in front of Kandal Market in Phsar Kandal Sangkat, Daun Penh District, Phnom Penh. This case is just preliminary information, it is not clear what caused the victim to die.
https://postnews.com.kh/local/632091
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

A man in the pub told me the deceased jumped off the side of the ferry when it was halfway across the river.

I cannot vouch for the veracity of that information.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:24 pm A man in the pub told me the deceased jumped off the side of the ferry when it was halfway across the river.

In that case, the OP is here: newsworthy/man-jumps-from-koh-dach-ferr ... 49233.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:24 pm A man in the pub told me the deceased jumped off the side of the ferry when it was halfway across the river.

If that's the case it's probably the guy from a few days ago. It did make the news that someone jumped and disappeared.

Yes no maybe?
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

perhaps, the body went thru some kind of trauma and that trauma could have been post mortem from what I saw.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

bossho wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:48 pm perhaps, the body went thru some kind of trauma and that trauma could have been post mortem from what I saw.
He could of been hit by one of those barges when he started floating and before the tide pushed him into the weeds at the river edge. He could of been there for a long while before being spotted.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

ItWasntMe wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:28 pm

If that's the case it's probably the guy from a few days ago. It did make the news that someone jumped and disappeared.

Yes no maybe?
The body would have needed to go round the southern end of Chroy Changvar and double back up the Tonle Sap.
Possible if the river reversed its flow.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

Interesting input that I had yet to consider @armchairlawyer. I did not read the man overboard news closely enough to notice where he actually disembarked.

One of the sand barges could have hit him and pushed him upstream too. The river has been finicky in flow lately but the last five days or so the dominant flow has been out towards the Mekong as in dry season.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic