Luxury wood furniture

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Luxury wood furniture

Post by Tootsfriend »

Yes that luxury wood furniture looks good but after watching my new neighbours move in and struggling to offload heavy beds and other stuff, I'm so glad that I only had to carry cane furniture up the stairs to E1, E2 and E3. It appears I'm the only person in our street that doesn't have a luxury car also. Maybe I'm living in the wrong neighbourhood .
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Luxury wood furniture

Post by John Bingham »

My bed is made of that stuff and it's heavy as hell even when dismantled. Years ago I had a landlady who dumped this huge platform in my front room. It was about the size of a pool table and quite useless except for once when a monk relative came to visit. The fucking thing was almost impossible to move but I managed to shove it far from the TV area. I don't really like watching TV cross-legged anyway. The landlady couldn't understand why I didn't really want this beautiful furniture but she was mental anyway.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

Anti-theft furniture!
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Tootsfriend wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:53 pm Yes that luxury wood furniture looks good
Is it what you're talking about ?
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Ghostwriter wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:52 pm
Tootsfriend wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:53 pm Yes that luxury wood furniture looks good
Perfect furniture for rough bars, nobody ever had one of these broken over their head.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Those things look mighty uncomfortable...albeit they will never wear out and you can keep a lifetime...unless the termites get to it :lol:
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Chad Sexington wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:12 pm
Perfect furniture for rough bars, nobody ever had one of these broken over their head.
And should a head for any reason be broken against it cleaning is easily done with water 👌
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

I think it can be assumed that this type of heavy ornate furniture was/is viewed as an investment of sorts that could be handed down through a number of generations as a durable somewhat useful heirloom that would potentially increase in value with age. As Yobbo points out, stealing it is quite difficult but at the same time, if hard times arrive for the family, a buyer willing to take it off their hands could probably be easily found.

In the long run, it may be better than buying precious metals, hoarding cash, jewellery, etc. Also, it's a kind of conspicuous consumption, especially those pieces inlaid with mother-of-pearl.

What they should probably add is a nice grandfather clock:

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

I tried moving one of these last year with the small toe on my right foot. 🥴🥴🥴
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

As well as an elegant display of grandeur & status.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic