april fools day

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

april fools day

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

There is a tradition in the UK for the newspapers to print silly stories on this day, usually they are obvious but a few always seem to sneak through. A famous one many years ago was a full page advertisement for a place called San Marino, how to invest, house prices, jobs etc that one fooled lots of people. Today they are saying that electricity and gas prices are to rise by 50% or more from today, ha ha :please:
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Re: april fools day

Post by ItWasntMe »

I remember growing up and the local news paper were asking everybody to bring the ice from their refrigerators to the plaza cause they were trying to arrange a snowboard competition :D
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Hmm, they are.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

There is a tradition in the UK for the newspapers to print silly stories on this day
Is this one of them? :twisted:

Prince Andrew took more than £1 million from Turkish ‘fraudster’

London: Prince Andrew was given more than a million pounds by an alleged Turkish fraudster and is now embroiled in a High Court battle over missing money.

Andrew and his former wife, Sarah, Duchess of York, both received “suspicious” payments on the orders of Selman Turk, a former Goldman Sachs banker, as part of an international £40 million ($70 million) fraud, it is alleged.

Full: https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/world/ ... 5a9ys.html
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

It's increasingly difficult to tell the difference, reality has been such a freak show lately!
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Doc67 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:20 pmHmm, they are.
I was being flippant doc it has been front page news for weeks now. Summer is coming so the effects will not be felt for a while but next winter ?
Atmywitsend
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Atmywitsend »

This is NOT a April Fool Day joke.
UK Energy cost up 54%
France Energy cost up 4%.
Nasty Forrineers.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:33 pm
I was being flippant doc it has been front page news for weeks now. Summer is coming so the effects will not be felt for a while but next winter ?
I suspected humour was in the mix. This round of price caps expire in October, when the wholesale rates for February 2022 to July 2022 will be used. These rises are for wholesale rates from August 2021 to January 2022. The worst has yet to be factored in.

They are predicting further rises of the same magnitude for the October fix, which means that the rises will be way over 100% from the just expired rates. Just in time for next winter...

Plus rampant inflation. Plus interest rates rises. Plus bread and beer prices doubling due to grain prices spikes....
Atmywitsend
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Atmywitsend »

Any British Gas shareholders on here ?. Loooaaaadsa money 💰 🤑 💸 👌
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Doc67 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:27 am
tightenupvolume1 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:33 pm
I suspected humour was in the mix. This round of price caps expire in October, when the wholesale rates for February 2022 to July 2022 will be used. These rises are for wholesale rates from August 2021 to January 2022. The worst has yet to be factored in.

They are predicting further rises of the same magnitude for the October fix, which means that the rises will be way over 100% from the just expired rates. Just in time for next winter...

Plus rampant inflation. Plus interest rates rises. Plus bread and beer prices doubling due to grain prices spikes....
Thanks for cheering me up doc it's freezing here right now. Hopefully India will reinstate my 5 year e visa before next winter, they have done for 156 other countries but for the UK they remain suspended. I might even consider Cambodia if they don't. I can live well in Goa on £150-£200 a week would that be enough in KOW ?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic