Land ownership by multiple people

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Land ownership by multiple people

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Hello all,

A question for all of you: Can more than one person be named as an owner of land on a land title? According to https://www.refworld.org/docid/3ae6b567c.html this version of the land law, there is a such thing as a co-ownership.

I'm not asking about husband and wife, as it is commonly assumed that they own land together, but am asking about whether several different family members (with relations other than marital) can co-own land on a hard title.

Thanks in advance for any knowledge you may have!
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Land ownership by multiple people

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Yes it is possible. My Wife and her siblings jointly purchased their deceased parents' property, all of their names (10) are included on the hard title as owners. It has the potential to cause rifts in the family though.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:09 pm Yes it is possible. My Wife and her siblings jointly purchased their deceased parents' property, all of their names (10) are included on the hard title as owners. It has the potential to cause rifts in the family though.
Can imagine that happening very easy it's bad enough with only two siblings
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:09 pm Yes it is possible. My Wife and her siblings jointly purchased their deceased parents' property, all of their names (10) are included on the hard title as owners. It has the potential to cause rifts in the family though.
Hi, thanks, that's a similar kind of situation to what we are dealing with. There are three family members that are supposed to be owners of the same land, but currently only one of their names is on the title, even though it was supposed to be co-owned since the age of majority.

Given that there was never meant to be a land purchase involved, but just a shared ownership, do you think there will still have to be some tax payment?
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

If they are going to get thier name on the title I'd presume tax is payable.
Here is a lawyer you could contact about this but maybe not worth the $$.

What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

atst wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:08 am If they are going to get thier name on the title I'd presume tax is payable.

Hi Atst, there is no lawyer in your message, but feel free to PM me also. But I also don't think a lawyer is needed as it can be handled by the district land office.

Maybe they can transfer it for a nominal fee, like $1, and pay the tax on that?
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:25 pm
atst wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:08 am If they are going to get thier name on the title I'd presume tax is payable.

Hi Atst, there is no lawyer in your message, but feel free to PM me also. But I also don't think a lawyer is needed as it can be handled by the district land office.

Maybe they can transfer it for a nominal fee, like $1, and pay the tax on that?
It was a few years ago and that number was in my contacts for him?
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Hi Atst, thanks... for some reason I am not seeing a lot of the photos posted on this board. It just shows up as a little broken photo icon. Anyway, I will pm you if a lawyer is needed.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic