Bread.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Bread.

Post by rozzieoz »

Super Duper has gluten free bread made from various gluten free flours. I've seen bread made from coconut flour but never rice.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:15 pm
Tootsfriend wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:21 pm Bread, a product made from flour. Flour a product made from a grain and the most used grain for making flour is wheat.

So the question is, Rice is the most popular grain grown in Asia and small amounts are processed into rice flour, so why is bread made in Asia (Cambodia ) not made from rice flour.?

Am I looking on the wrong shelf in the wrong shops.
There's quite a lot of bread made here with rice flour, it's very dry, goes hard easily and tastes sweet; typically found in low end local joints aimed at the lower end of the western market - it's distinguishable because when toasted it doesn't go brown and has very poor texture
I would LOVE some!
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

nemo wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:00 pm Rice has no gluten. Bread needs gluten for elasticity to rise.
Please explain gluten free bread then, how does it rise?
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

rozzieoz wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:39 pm
nemo wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:00 pm Rice has no gluten. Bread needs gluten for elasticity to rise.
Please explain gluten free bread then, how does it rise?
Having never made it; I do not know.
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

ofparadise wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:13 pm There are traditional khmer bread recipes. However, none of them are baked. But they are perfect for soaking up gravy.

Plain Mantou

Fried Mantou and it's variants.
Nice photos.
Mantou is delicious. It is originally from China. A heads up for people who are looking for gluten-free: Mantou is typically made with wheat flour and unfortunately not gluten-free.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

This what you want to get:

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

^That mango dates cake bread looks excellent. I bought a baguette, with some ham and blue cheese tonight from CAFÉ WINE O'CLOCK (24-hours) Street 456 Toul Tom Poung.

Always "hope" but never "expect".
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:54 pm I bought a baguette, with some ham and blue cheese tonight from CAFÉ WINE O'CLOCK (24-hours) Street 456 Toul Tom Poung.
AndyKK, one thing is sure, you are not a food photographer. The bread is white, the blue cheese is greenish, and it's not very yummy in a general way. Seen that in some other food pics from you....
No worries, i get that you're a food enthousiast anyway.
A better camera / app could do wonders, but this crude blueish light would be best for an autopsy.

Last edited by Ghostwriter on Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Ghostwriter wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:47 am
AndyKK, one thing is sure, you are not a food photographer. The bread is white, the blue cheese is greenish, and it's not very yummy in a general way. Seen that in some other food pics from you....
A better camera / app could do wonders, but this crude blueish light would be best for an autopsy.
I completely agree..your contributions are very interesting and you seem to be a food lover..but the quality of the pics makes your food look "bad".
work is for people who cant find truffles
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

truffledog wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:02 am
Ghostwriter wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:47 am
I completely agree..your contributions are very interesting and you seem to be a food lover..but the quality of the pics makes your food look "bad".
The guys showing the food exactly how it is, he’s not trying to market it.
Better that, than posing the food and using filters and lighting tricks to make the food appear to be something it isn’t.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic