Will Smith Hit Chris Rock at the Oscars

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Will Smith Hit Chris Rock at the Oscars

Post by orichá »

Will should retire from cinema, open a restaurant and find a new wife, as he is quite clearly miserable with Jada princess; perhaps she's a bit too high and mighty for all of us, and everyone in America... Oh well, if you want it all, you have to be a social butterfly who knows best!
Last edited by orichá on Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Freightdog wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:52 pm
violet wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:45 pm
Big Daikon wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:08 am This story just keeps on giving.
How about white folk respond with. White people get it but you black folk just can’t understand that because you aren’t white.
Uh, oh!

White on black. No! Racist in the house.
Black on black, it’s ok, it’s just our way.

Double standards. Maybe it’s low key noble.
…and still there’s no discussion about how bad rock’s humour was, that’s how distracting this is. He needs to be putting Will Smith on his Christmas card list.
Humour is often bad. Way too often.
I have actually developed the awareness in recent days that there is a positive way to view Rock’s joke. I can see that SOME people would never accept that because they must play the victim, they must be self righteous about conditions, illness etc and it’s totally objectionable to see any humour about, in this case, a short-haircut-look totally separate from what caused her to take the decision to shave her hair because her choice of hair styles led to alopecia

I admit I hadn’t realised for quite a few days that her alopecia was not just general alopecia but the type that is a receding hairline and hair loss from tight braids etc. sure - that’s a black female experience, but it is possible to laugh about short hair without it having to be dragged down by what that short hair stemmed from.

We’ve all wasted too much oxygen on this anyway. I certainly have.
/out

I’ll (probably offensively) correct myself to show I can be more culturally aware ^corn rows not braids
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Actually, I’m referring to the entire segment of rock’s routine, where his jibes at other celebs were at most amusing, but because he shouted them out, and then chuckled, the audience dutifully found them funny/hilarious.
Some subtlety in his jibes would go a long way, especially if he hadn’t lingered over each quip for everyone to concentrate on them.

If the Marx brothers had given the speech, would we be having the same discussion?
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

violet wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:58 pm Oh so it’s a race thing? Wfbs
Yes. In a multi-racial society, everything becomes racialized.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic