Animism in Cambodia

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Wkkep
Expatriate
Australia

Animism in Cambodia

Post by Wkkep »

I would like to know more about the old religion of Animism and its place in contemporary Khmer society.
Can anyone recommend a source for more info?
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Animism in Cambodia

Post by Big Daikon »

This book covers Buddhism and animism in Cambodia. I found it useful.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Can anyone recommend other books on the topic? The OP and I would appreciate a list. Thanks in advance!
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Not a book, but a 7 page downloadable pdf

The Place of Animism within Popular Buddhism in Cambodia: the Example of the Monastery
by Ang Choulean
https://angkordatabase.asia/publication ... -monastery

Click on View Publication.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Cool. Thanks!
Wkkep
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Wkkep »

Big Daikon wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:12 pm This book covers Buddhism and animism in Cambodia. I found it useful.
Cheers!
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

You might also like this, though it appears to be out of print at the moment.

"Mrenh Gongveal: Chasing the Elves of the Khmer is an photo essay that delves into a common, but lesser understood, belief of the Cambodians. While learning about the culture and customs of Cambodia, Keith Kelly's adopted home of 10 years, he was especially fascinated by their folklore. One particular type of shrine dedicated to the Mrenh Gongveal, Elves of the Khmer, caught his imagination. As a personal project he started documenting the more interesting "houses" he came across during his travels. While talking to people, most could give little explanation for the houses other than they "brought luck." Wanting to know more lead the author upon a 5 year journey collecting photos and information, which is presented in this book."
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Amazon US has copies. Kindle edition available.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

does that Coggan book cover Kon Krach? Infant Cannibalism and Matricide, but said to give the recipient magical powers...?
Kampoochie
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kampoochie »

Most animism is happening in Mondulkiri and Ratanakiri, the remote northeast — tribes like the Bunong, Tampuan, Kreung, and Jarai are seen as Khmer Loeu, the first/old Khmers. Some degree of it persists on as a magical underlayer of Khmer life with witchcraft and various sorcerers but there are no Buddhist organizations telling them to stop like how the Catholic Church would tell people in Mexico to not engage in Santa Muerte or similar religions. It's just seen as Khmer culture. For Chams, there's a group called the Kan Imam San that make up about 10% of the country's Cham population and they engage in some ancient practices of spirit channeling, something the 90% of more mainstreamed Chams do not participate in (although a lot of that comes from the past few decades of accepting shiny new mosques and donations from international benefactors who want them to pray and behave like Sunni Muslims in Saudi Arabia). For both Chams and Khmers, I'd hesitate to call that animism — the only "clearcut" animists in Cambodia live in remote tribal locations, mostly the northeast up by Laos and near the Vietnamese border. That said, Khmer culture does focus a lot on spirits of the land, like in the case of many factories and the mass faintings that occur because of not appeasing the spirits: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 3319300082 (others might call this a clever form of protest or simply inhaling too many fumes while standing for too long).

Not totally direct about religion, but covers the upland tribes of Cambodia and the rest of SE Asia better than any other source I've read: The Art of Not Being Governed, an Anarchist History of Upland SE Asia

Vanishing Act: A Glimpse Into Cambodia's Vanishing World of Magic

Ghosts in the Forest — tells the story of a group of people hiding out in Virachey for 25 years thinking the war was still on, a look at the lives of a few unique people coming from the minority groups of Ratanakiri

"Montagnard" is kind of an old-timey term for people in upland SE Asia, meaning they live above a certain elevation. This book —  — might be the most direct and relevant to your questions, but I haven't read it so I can't vouch for it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic