3 up on bike cost tea money

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

3 up on bike cost tea money

Post by atst »

Got stopped buy traffic police for having 3 on my bike, the fine is $15 after complaining, what is a family supposed to do fine reduced to $7:50 and told it's ok if kids are under 12 but anyone older not allowed and you'll need to get another bike for the child.
Yes plenty of 3-4 up no helmets going around but if they want to stop you bad luck pay up.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: 3 up on bike cost tea money

Post by Chad Sexington »

atst wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:08 am Got stopped buy traffic police for having 3 on my bike, the fine is $15 after complaining, what is a family supposed to do fine reduced to $7:50 and told it's ok if kids are under 12 but anyone older not allowed and you'll need to get another bike for the child.
Yes plenty of 3-4 up no helmets going around but if they want to stop you bad luck pay up.
A barang is always going to be seen as an easy touch who can afford to pay the fine, so they’ll make a beeline for you through swathes of Khmer committing the same ‘offense’.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Chad Sexington wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:27 am
atst wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:08 am Got stopped buy traffic police for having 3 on my bike, the fine is $15 after complaining, what is a family supposed to do fine reduced to $7:50 and told it's ok if kids are under 12 but anyone older not allowed and you'll need to get another bike for the child.
A barang is always going to be seen as an easy touch who can afford to pay the fine, so they’ll make a beeline for you through swathes of Khmer committing the same ‘offense’.
I have already written on another thread somewhere, that I was stopped by the police, they then had to find a reason why they had stopped me. So, apparently the owner's card was wrong, it not being the same has the Phnom Penh registration card! Maybe it's because I bought the bike in Kampong Cham. That was no matter, the bike was going to be transported to the police compound and then destroyed. 30 minutes they held me, then told me to go.
If I have committed a road traffic offence, then fare play, I will pay the fine, but only the price they quote with a receipt, no receipt then it is clearly tea money, I draw the line of 10,000 reil at that point.

How many times do you see 3 on a bike, no helmets, underage riders? In general, the Cambodian people have no respect for the traffic police, because of the extortion.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Albror
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by Albror »

Never have any problem with the police and it does not really matter to them. If you actually commited a crime they can just write you the ticket that is paid at the police station. They dont have to care about how you are going to pay.

Also as westerners stand up against them and fines att 15 bucks or more it does not make sense when they can just stop 3-4 people who actually earned the fine during the time they would have to argue with you about something made up.

I never met someone who had problem with traffic police beside people who caused the problem themselves. Talking about now of course. It was different before.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

You have just convinced me of the good reason that I have to walk
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

3 on a bike is legal. Any more is illegal.
The most Ive seen is 7 on a Daelim.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

How many times do you see 3 on a bike, no helmets, underage riders? In general, the Cambodian people have no respect for the traffic police, because of the extortion.
This is true however I think most of the locals know where the police are normally 'stationed' so they avoid them or make sure they follow the rules if they go that way. But the police nevertheless still ping those that are unsuspecting..

I thought the standard fine was $25.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Clutch Cargo wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:27 pm
This is true however I think most of the locals know where the police are normally 'stationed' so they avoid them or make sure they follow the rules if they go that way. But the police nevertheless still ping those that are unsuspecting..

50-60k for locals with no helmet, not sure if it's same for too many people but I imagine it also depends the type of moto and how you handle it. Heard same price from foreigners lately.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Clutch Cargo wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:27 pm

On route 3 near Veal Rinh, the cops used to set up a checkpoint near the weigh station, and there would be a Mexican stand-off between the cops and all the helmet less Moto riders, with the two parties 100m apart playing a waiting game. Sometimes there’d be a couple of hundred riders who would just wait it out until eventually the cops would pack up and head back to the station.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Barangs also stop
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic