3 up on bike cost tea money

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: 3 up on bike cost tea money

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

ressl wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:41 pm Same info I have. But since I drive electric I could put a whole football team on the bike and they are not able to do anything. Last time going wrong way on Russian Blvd. They were grinning, like having made a jackpot with a foreigner going the wrong way with a trailer, that is not allowed on that part. Then oh, electric, cool, goodbye...
No rules apply to you? How fast can it go? How much are they?
Might get a five-a-side team on board, or that what the trailer's for? 8)
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

Electric vehicles below 11kW are not under the traffic law. Crazy stuff, but works. The trailer we use to get equipment or vehicles moved - well, the same way the locals do with the petrol ones. Fast is a matter of money, my fastest one goes 85km/h at the moment, but there is an other project pending, that might get a bit crazy and I am not sure if it makes sense here in Cambodia at all (maybe as much sense like driving the black Hellcat I have spotted). The ordinary ones are usually 45km/h, except for those $350 jokes, although I got one of them tuned to 45km/h as well (again: a matter of money)
Pricing: I put this in a separate paragraph, because I am not sure if it complies with the board rules:
We (Oyika) have currently have 3 pricing systems
1) rent by the minute (through Go2 app), 5ct a minute. The fleet is quite small at the moment, but it will get doubled soon (the vehicles have arrived, but the controlling systems not)
2) daily/weekly/monthly rent (through Go2 as well, but not the app), I don't recall the pricing, but the "fuel" (battery charging) is included, due to the vehicles use the Oyika swap system and 2 weeks ago the batteries have finally arrived, so there is no shortage any more. Currently 10 swap stations around Phnom Penh, but right now we are busy to put up 15 additional, which I assume will be fully operational somewhen in April.
3) Purchase/Instalment is currently not available, due to the container is stuck at customs. Big drama, I hope we get this sorted out soon
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Each time I’ve found a Go2 moto it’s blocked in with other peoples.
People of the world, spice up your life.
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

Bluenose wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:02 am
jaynewcastle wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:17 am
canucklhead wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:22 pm 3 on a bike is legal. Any more is illegal.
The most Ive seen is 7 on a Daelim.
If 3 people is legal, how can the police fine you for it ?
I was under the impression that 2 adults and 1 kid was legal, but not 3 adults, but I could be wrong
You are correct - I sat my motorbike theory test a couple of months ago, I had to memorise the Road Code (which puts me in a very small minority of riders). The legal limit for a motorbike is 2 adults + 2 children. It does not state the age limit for children.
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Sir Stephen
Expatriate
France

Post by Sir Stephen »

roadman
Expatriate

Post by roadman »

So what is the usual fine one would expect for doing nothing wrong these days? I paid 5 bucks about 10 years ago for having my headlight on.

Are cops checking licences and breath testing at all?
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

roadman wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:15 am So what is the usual fine one would expect for doing nothing wrong these days? I paid 5 bucks about 10 years ago for having my headlight on.

Are cops checking licences and breath testing at all?
In Phnom Penh if you're pulled over for tea money expect to pay 10,000reil. But if you have actually committed an offence there are new fine rates now, some being very hefty, and the police will ask for all documents and licence.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
roadman
Expatriate

Post by roadman »

ok
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

Clutch Cargo wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:27 pm
How many times do you see 3 on a bike, no helmets, underage riders? In general, the Cambodian people have no respect for the traffic police, because of the extortion.
This is true however I think most of the locals know where the police are normally 'stationed' so they avoid them or make sure they follow the rules if they go that way. But the police nevertheless still ping those that are unsuspecting..

I thought the standard fine was $25.
Here in Siem Reap they have a FB group, Siem Reap Police Checkpoints Alerts, which posts the latest cop hangout points . I have found it useful on occasion.
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I supposedly went through a red light and was pulled over at a police checkpoint, I asked for a photo of the offence! No photo and no official receipt for the 10,000reil fine (tea-money). But if I had committed that particular road traffic offense, the official fine is 390,000reil.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic