3 up on bike cost tea money

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: 3 up on bike cost tea money

Post by John Bingham »

AndyKK wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:59 pm He is military police, not traffic police in blue.
He's not "military police". He is National Police, which is under the Ministry of the Interior. There are about 20 different police forces here. I might list a few later.
There are military police here, they are those guys with the white helmets and leather armbands. They are just a small part of the Royal Gendarmerie, a military unit from the RCAF which has wide ranging jurisdiction over army, police and civilian matters. Some wear green uniforms, the more elite units wear black/gray tactical outfits and the high ranking ones wear blue. The blue shirts they wear are a shade or two darker than the traffic police.
The Sangat police used to wear khaki exclusively but nowadays I'm seeing more police wearing green. This doesn't mean they are military, the only military units you will see operating on the streets are Gendarmerie or Bodyguard Unit.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Thanks for putting me straight on that issue, and please list the police forces.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Just off the top of my head:
Sangkat Police
Traffic Police
Justice Police
Intervention Police
Flying Tigers
Trafficking Police
Border Police
Cybercrimes Unit
Immigration Police
Fire Police
Palace Police
River Police
Prison Police
Economic Police
Public Order Officers and various village chiefs and militias.

...and maybe a few others I forgot.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

canucklhead wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:22 pm 3 on a bike is legal. Any more is illegal.
The most Ive seen is 7 on a Daelim.
If 3 people is legal, how can the police fine you for it ?
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

I'll be traveling 3 up next time I'm in PP as not taking two bikes plus missus and girl are ok riding around the province but going to PP is to far and they couldn't handle the traffic
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Apparition
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Apparition »

Is there an etiquette to handing over tea money? And how much is normal to give them?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Apparition wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:31 pm Is there an etiquette to handing over tea money? And how much is normal to give them?
Don't bother, it's hardly worth it with the current fines (starting at 40k if i recall well) and the part the officers can pocket themselves. The times you offered them 2,000r when in the wrong are over. Think at least 40-50k now.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

I used to give them beer, and they wouldn't stop me, but they would always shout "ABC!" So, I would drop some off next time.

Those days you were allowed to be a danger to yourself, and others, unfortunately.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

jaynewcastle wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:17 am
canucklhead wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:22 pm 3 on a bike is legal. Any more is illegal.
The most Ive seen is 7 on a Daelim.
If 3 people is legal, how can the police fine you for it ?
I was under the impression that 2 adults and 1 kid was legal, but not 3 adults, but I could be wrong
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

Same info I have. But since I drive electric I could put a whole football team on the bike and they are not able to do anything. Last time going wrong way on Russian Blvd. They were grinning, like having made a jackpot with a foreigner going the wrong way with a trailer, that is not allowed on that part. Then oh, electric, cool, goodbye...
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic