3 up on bike cost tea money

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: 3 up on bike cost tea money

Post by atst »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:07 pm
Chad Sexington wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:27 am
atst wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:08 am Got stopped buy traffic police for having 3 on my bike, the fine is $15 after complaining, what is a family supposed to do fine reduced to $7:50 and told it's ok if kids are under 12 but anyone older not allowed and you'll need to get another bike for the child.
Yes plenty of 3-4 up no helmets going around but if they want to stop you bad luck pay up.
A barang is always going to be seen as an easy touch who can afford to pay the fine, so they’ll make a beeline for you through swathes of Khmer committing the same ‘offense’.
Barangs also stop
I wasn't going to run him over, they were mostly pulling up trucks.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

canucklhead wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:22 pm 3 on a bike is legal. Any more is illegal.
The most Ive seen is 7 on a Daelim.
Think it's illegal they had a paper with the rules I'd broken in Khmer, but as I said if you're a family with small kids it's egnored.

Here is our local copper on school patrol.

I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

atst wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:24 pm
Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:07 pm
Chad Sexington wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:27 am
atst wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:08 am Got stopped buy traffic police for having 3 on my bike, the fine is $15 after complaining, what is a family supposed to do fine reduced to $7:50 and told it's ok if kids are under 12 but anyone older not allowed and you'll need to get another bike for the child.
Yes plenty of 3-4 up no helmets going around but if they want to stop you bad luck pay up.
A barang is always going to be seen as an easy touch who can afford to pay the fine, so they’ll make a beeline for you through swathes of Khmer committing the same ‘offense’.
Barangs also stop
I wasn't going to run him over, they were mostly pulling up trucks.
You probably wouldn't run him over on a 125 puddle-jumper; maybe his foot.

No time for a passenger to leap on to the back of a truck, and jump back on past the cops? Practice at home first.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

atst wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:30 pm
canucklhead wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:22 pm 3 on a bike is legal. Any more is illegal.
Think it's illegal they had a paper with the rules I'd broken in Khmer, but as I said if you're a family with small kids it's egnored.

Quote - As for motorcycle drivers, the governor’s new directive says anyone riding a moto should wear a helmet and only two people are allowed on one moto. It also says no one under 16 can drive a moto, and that those aged 16 to 18 can only drive small motos with an engine size 100 cubic centimeters or smaller.

https://english.cambodiadaily.com/news/ ... tos-15009/
Always "hope" but never "expect".
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Lucky me I have never been stopped when driving with helmet and the "right" light. Never paid more than 5 US when I was at fault. Always smile and keep the atmosphere cool.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

atst wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:30 pm

Different kind of police. It's the guys (OK, sometimes a girl) in blue bothering you with traffic fines, not these in green.
tears_in_rain
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by tears_in_rain »

Barang must pay! Have you not figured it out yet? :plus1:
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

tears_in_rain wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:10 pm
Barang must pay! Have you not figured it out yet? :plus1:
I feel your pain but I think Cambodians suffer more from the corruption than the foreigners.

In eleven years I rarely have been stopped by the boys in blue, and every time they did I was in the wrong. Were others in the wrong as well? Sure. Does that give me the right to a freebie?
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

He is military police, not traffic police in blue.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Sir Stephen
Expatriate
France

Post by Sir Stephen »

I am not sure they pick on barang. Me and my khmer GF were pulled over 2 times.

First time went up one way street. GF did all the talking and said 'here, this is all I have (50k riel note)'

Second time went through yellow light. She said to them she from the province (true, her ID card not PP) and have no money so she say same thing..50k riel.

Now for both those cases, I was standing there..
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic