Guillible Victim Falls for the Old "Miracle Rock" Scam

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Guillible Victim Falls for the Old "Miracle Rock" Scam

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Kompong Chhnang Province): On March 22, 2022, the Boribo district police arrested 3 con artists for scamming people by selling them rocks that they claimed would perform miracles in Tropang Chan village, Boribo district, Kompong Chhnang province.
The naive victim was named as Tom Pophy from Tropang Chan village, Boribo district, but the report doesn't explain how the victim discovered that he had been scammed.

The scammers were identified as Sen Sokhom, a 36-year-old man from Khan Toul Kork, Phnom Penh, Koeurn Samart, a 44-year-old man from Kbal Domrei village, Trapang Chan commune, and Tieng Kimmab, a 39-year-old man from Oh village, Ponlei commune, Boribo district.

The suspects are being detained for further investigation before trial.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Re: Guillible Victim Falls for the Old "Miracle Rock" Scam

Post by Ghostwriter »

How much ?
Just wondering ^^
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

" but the report doesn't explain how the victim discovered that he had been scammed."

I'm guessing he realised when the rock didn't perform miracles after all :)

In my opinion, you have to be pretty stupid to tell the entire world you bought a rock because somebody told you it performed miracles :), but maybe its quite common for Cambodians to do this ?
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by techietraveller84 »

Rocks make great pets too!
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

jaynewcastle wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:06 am " but the report doesn't explain how the victim discovered that he had been scammed."

In my opinion, you have to be pretty stupid to tell the entire world you bought a rock because somebody told you it performed miracles :), but maybe its quite common for Cambodians to do this ?
How dare you ?
Stupidity isn't a Khmer monopoly, we have loads of people everywhere in the world who cannot afford to buy such stones, so they crawl up to it so they can touch it, sometimes for hundreds of miles, just hoping for a bit of luck...
It's just a matter of pushing idolatry and wishful thinking to the maximal abstract direction. The upper step would be buying for some immaterial protection / breathing sacred farts from a monk / drinking camel's piss from the holy land, this kind of shit. At least, rocks, you can throw them back to the seller :)

But some stones have indeed the power to do real miracles : See how happy Mr B is, running around those huge amounts of old carved rocks !
Rocks rocks.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

techietraveller84 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:18 pm Rocks make great pets too!
So true
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

jaynewcastle wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:06 am " but the report doesn't explain how the victim discovered that he had been scammed."

The rock told him.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

techietraveller84 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:18 pm Rocks make great pets too!
They're forever though. I like to take mine to the beach so he can play with shells, and we play frisbee. Until it goes in the water, then he takes off. He can get it down from trees, though, and is really good at getting in the house if I lose my keys.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Darren-Lee-Fox
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Darren-Lee-Fox »

I Smoke Rocks.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »