New Laptop

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

New Laptop

Post by Doc67 »

My old faithful HP Envy, bought second hand from E-Bay in 2017, is falling apart. The screen hinges had another crunch yesterday and spat out another piece of broken plastic. I hope it can last until May when I will be in the UK doing some shopping. My current laptop spec is below (which might give some of you a good laugh)

What should I be looking for in a new laptop? I use it for web surfing( is it still called that?), posting crap on CEO, downloading videos from pirate bay and it is the TV viewing device, either Netflix or stored stuff, via an HDMI cable to the TV.
I have 2 x 1TB hard drives so storage isn't a problem. I never play video games nor anything that is graphics heavy, just TV stuff.

What should be my spec list? Or what questions should I ask myself before arriving at my spec list?

I am going to be buying second hand again from E-bay because I am environmentally responsible ( :wink: )

As always, many thanks in advance...

Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Re: New Laptop

Post by Bongmab69 »

Hi, Doc, i use my laptop for more or less the same things as you do, also some accountancy from my company. Useally i buy more or less the cheapest new-one i can find, bought a HP 15-inch in 2018 for 299 euro, and still works perfectly, only bought a new battery in 2020 because it was running out (probably due to always been loading on a 24-220 V converter). Hope to use it at least 2 years more !! If you buy second hand, its always a gamble, isnt it ??
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

I just brought a new laptop as my one was doing the same as yours, I went to PSC computers on 184 st plenty of choices and friendly staff go take a look or check thier web site , for $339 got basic Asus but only 4 ram enough for me, thing is none of the computers come with CD/ DVD drive anymore
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

atst wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:11 pm I just brought a new laptop as my one was doing the same as yours, I went to PSC computers on 184 st plenty of choices and friendly staff go take a look or check thier web site , for $339 got basic Asus but only 4 ram enough for me, thing is none of the computers come with CD/ DVD drive anymore
That's going to be a few steps down for Doc. The HP Envy is a pretty well equipped machine with a good screen and decent hardware.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

i5 or i7 with a half terabyte SSD 4Gb or better dedicated graphics card and 16Gb RAM... 8 would suffice tbh

I picked an i5 based MSI up about a year ago for $700

Got a 1Tb external SSD recently too and seeing transfer rates of over 300mb/sec.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:50 pm My old faithful HP Envy, bought second hand from E-Bay in 2017, is falling apart. The screen hinges had another crunch yesterday and spat out another piece of broken plastic. I hope it can last until May when I will be in the UK doing some shopping. My current laptop spec is below (which might give some of you a good laugh)

What should I be looking for in a new laptop? I use it for web surfing( is it still called that?), posting crap on CEO, downloading videos from pirate bay and it is the TV viewing device, either Netflix or stored stuff, via an HDMI cable to the TV.
I have 2 x 1TB hard drives so storage isn't a problem. I never play video games nor anything that is graphics heavy, just TV stuff.

What should be my spec list? Or what questions should I ask myself before arriving at my spec list?

I am going to be buying second hand again from E-bay because I am environmentally responsible ( :wink: )

As always, many thanks in advance...

Based on your needs I'd say buy something secondhand like a Toshiba Satellite that's 4/5 years old, preferably with an SSD for somewhere in the ballpark of $200 down Kampuchea Krom Bvld. I like Vantech personally
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

by the end of the thread you will be probably soo confused..
work is for people who cant find truffles
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

I agree with JA, I have owned two Toshibas and they have been the most reliable machines I have had. HP not so much (as you would now) and Samsung not so much.
When you're in the UK, look at laptopsdirect.com range of Toshibas. Older refurbs cost £150, new mid-range machines £450. Ball park figures.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Processor: i3
Graphics: Integrated graphics is fine
Memory: 8GB (4GB will be enough but 8GB would be better)
SSD / HDD: 128GB (You said you already have 2TB of storage) - but SSD's (Solid State Drive) are faster than HDD's (Hard Disk Drive)
Screen: 1080p HD (size is up to you)

So long as you go with these specs you'll be fine. Your only choice then comes down to build quality. If you're not fussed about it, a cheap plastic laptop with these specs will set you back about $300 - $400 (new). If build quality is important, you can go up to $700 or more.

If you're looking to stretch as far as $900, I'd highly recommend the new M1 Macbook Air, but it might be a bit overkill for your needs.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

xandreu wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:24 pm Processor: i3
Graphics: Integrated graphics is fine
Memory: 8GB (4GB will be enough but 8GB would be better)
SSD / HDD: 128GB (You said you already have 2TB of storage) - but SSD's (Solid State Drive) are faster than HDD's (Hard Disk Drive)
Screen: 1080p HD (size is up to you)

Those spec's won't let you down, but if you watch a lot on your laptop you might want a decent, bright screen. That's generally what separates the 3-400$ machines from the 6-700$ ones. The cheapies generally don't have bright screens, or quality IPS panels.
If you're after a decent screen it pays to visit https://notebookcheck.com a visit. They test all the hardware, including the screen, and publish the numbers (like brightness) in their reports.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic