Drone Rental

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Swayed1967
Tourist
Canada

Drone Rental

Post by Swayed1967 »

Hello Everyone,

I will be visiting Phnom Penh several times this year for conducting a port development study. We'd like to get some aerial footage of the Mekong river using a drone (which we would operate ourselves). Unfortunately, I haven't had any luck finding rental places online. Would really appreciate any local knowledge about renting drones.

Cheers!
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Drone Rental

Post by Bluenose »

You will need to get a permit from City Hall as a minimum as generally drone flying is not permitted in Phnom Penh. That would also explain the lack of rental companies. Who are you doing the port development study for? If it's a government/official body then ask them for their cooperation in getting the permit.
Swayed1967
Tourist
Canada

Post by Swayed1967 »

Bluenose wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:28 am You will need to get a permit from City Hall as a minimum as generally drone flying is not permitted in Phnom Penh. That would also explain the lack of rental companies. Who are you doing the port development study for? If it's a government/official body then ask them for their cooperation in getting the permit.
Thank you for that information. Very helpful. Yes, the study is being conducted at the request of a government body. I'll ask them about the permit. Thanks again.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Bluenose wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:28 am You will need to get a permit from City Hall as a minimum as generally drone flying is not permitted in Phnom Penh. That would also explain the lack of rental companies. Who are you doing the port development study for? If it's a government/official body then ask them for their cooperation in getting the permit.
Most drones can be freely flown in most of Phnom Penh. Exclusion zones are around the Royal Palace, and, obviously, Pochentong Airport.

Drones with 4K video are <$500 here, not even worth renting. There are a number of surveyors and operators in Phnom Penh who will fly video or ortho of anything you want.
Swayed1967
Tourist
Canada

Post by Swayed1967 »

epidemiks wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:46 pm
Most drones can be freely flown in most of Phnom Penh. Exclusion zones are around the Royal Palace, and, obviously, Pochentong Airport.

Drones with 4K video are <$500 here, not even worth renting. There are a number of surveyors and operators in Phnom Penh who will fly video or ortho of anything you want.
Yes, it would probably be more cost-effective to purchase drones ourselves. However, from what I can gather online, permission to operate a drone in Phnom Penh may be required. I will look into that further. Thanks for your help.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Swayed1967 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:24 pm
epidemiks wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:46 pm

Yes, it would probably be more cost-effective to purchase drones ourselves. However, from what I can gather online, permission to operate a drone in Phnom Penh may be required. I will look into that further. Thanks for your help.
Permission should be easy if you're working with a Ministry, have them issue a letter for you to carry. Technically, yes, you're not supposed to fly anywhere in Phnom Penh, but in reality I see drones flying very regularly throughout town.

NB. If you cross to the other side of the Mekong, you're no longer in Phnom Penh municipality, and therefore not subject to restrictions.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic