My sister may be selling up and moving here (Many Q's)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: My sister may be selling up and moving here (Many Q's)

Post by Kammekor »

For a single lady 1.500$ per month should do as long as there are no serious medical issues or serious international travelling involved.
Of course there will be relatively large initial expenses for a motorcycle or a car, maybe some furniture making the first month more expensive but after that 1.500$ will do I guess.
Not sure about the medical insurance but that's going to be an expensive one if needed.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I am glad someone has mentioned medical needs. I don't really need to mention insurance, apart from make sure that if you have it, it includes an evacuation plan. Why I say this? Because depending on the illness and the emergency the hospitals are very expensive and will not in some cases be able to treat the illness you may have. You may think I am totally wrong in saying or implying this, but many, if not all put money before care. Also, any misconduct, or errors in treatments will more than get a response of, "or well".
Most Khmer, if they have the means and ability, will seek medical attention outside of the country.
Also, many of the none profit medical organisations will not treat westerners, but may recommend someone or somewhere else that may. Government and the private hospital's work on their means of profit before any medical care.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

I am focusing on, what I think is the most important thing mentioned so far, what she plans on doing to occupy her time.

Without a clear and meaningful purpose she may end up bored and miserable. It doesn’t really matter what your hobby is as long as it’s not drink or drug related. Nothing to do and all day to do it in is not something to look forward too.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

IraHayes wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:26 pm I am focusing on, what I think is the most important thing mentioned so far, what she plans on doing to occupy her time.

Without a clear and meaningful purpose she may end up bored and miserable. It doesn’t really matter what your hobby is as long as it’s not drink or drug related. Nothing to do and all day to do it in is not something to look forward too.
I most certainly agree with you on that, having a meaningful purpose is a good way of putting it, and I would like to say having anything that occupies one's mind and time must be beneficial to the person. I find trying something new or excelling the skills you already have, because this is the land of wonder, the challenge of your chosen hobby could be just simply sourcing the materials to do so.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Neverending_Story
Tourist

Post by Neverending_Story »

Many single Western women don’t like living in Cambodia
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Neverending_Story wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:52 pm Many single Western women don’t like living in Cambodia
I've wondered about that, too. What is there in Cambodia for a single, Western woman? I've seen some in Thailand, but they are either young teachers or miserable.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I've known quote a few single women here who enjoyed living here for years. All age ranges: from their twenties to forties. Some in their 60s. It's not uncommon anymore.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Alex wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:49 pm
Neverending_Story wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:52 pm Many single Western women don’t like living in Cambodia
I've wondered about that, too. What is there in Cambodia for a single, Western woman? I've seen some in Thailand, but they are either young teachers or miserable.
No disrespect intended to the OP and his sister, and just talking in general, but you never know.

Many years ago, I struck up a conversation in a gogo bar in Subic, Philippines with an Australian woman there. After chatting for a bit, and given a white woman in a girlie bar in that part of the world is about as rare as hen's teeth, I said to her 'so, what are you doing here?' to which replied: 'I'm looking for the same thing you're looking for'. :D
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Clutch Cargo wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:13 pm
Alex wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:49 pm
No disrespect intended to the OP and his sister, and just talking in general, but you never know.

Many years ago, I struck up a conversation in a gogo bar in Subic, Philippines with an Australian woman there. After chatting for a bit, and given a white woman in a girlie bar in that part of the world is about as rare as hen's teeth, I said to her 'so, what are you doing here?' to which replied: 'I'm looking for the same thing you're looking for'. :D
maybe not a lady but she might find herself a toy-boy. Who knows... stranger things have happened
cue Baldrick with "That horse becoming Pope." line from BlackAdder II - "Potato"
donner-kruger
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by donner-kruger »

IraHayes wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:31 pm 1: I have already told her NOT to sell her house
Well, she should. The housing market is nearing the top and now is a great time to sell. Move the money into something that doesn't get eaten up by inflation such as gold.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic