Thailand, once the backpackers’ paradise, now looks for five-star tourists

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Thailand, once the backpackers’ paradise, now looks for five-star tourists

Post by Kenr »

truffledog wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:00 am
Kenr wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:24 pm It’s not a holiday when everything shuts down at 11:00 pm every night, and it will affect their GDP if it becomes the norm. And from my experience in Thai mentality, when business slows down instead of lowering prices to attract more customers, they raise prices to make up for lost business. But if there are no additional customers to attract, prices will not stay the same, it will increase.

That’s why I love Las Vegas, not for the gambling but because you can do whatever you want 24/7.
Thailand becomes nice when you are on an island where they give a fcuk about curfew and other laws. There is a few of those places left fortunately.
I’m not knocking it, it is what it is, and being on an island affords you the opportunity to get away from the hectic nightlife. But I’m sure many people, including myself, vacation in these types of places to unwind from working 10 hour days 6 days a week. I’m not talking about raising hell and breaking laws, I’m talking about going there to chill and not to have to worry about looking at your watch every 15 minutes or having to be in bed by a certain time. That’s not what a vacation is about, and certainly not something I would want to do after flying half way around the world.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

GMJS-CEO wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:10 pm I had no idea about the 11pm closing requirement in Thailand. That is great news, would be nice if they keep that permanently. I imagine that is the type of measure that would impact the type of tourists they are getting and discourage some of those they want to avoid.
They want people who spend plenty of money. While it's conceivable that some tourists would be happy to spend all their money in a shopping mall, many want a mix of activities. Even a friend's parents who stopped by in Bangkok on a cruise a few years ago wouldn't have been happy to be sent to bed at 11pm instead of slurping cocktails with me at their hotel bar till much later. And neither would their hotel have been happy.

Those well-heeled cruise ship passengers who spend just a few days in Thailand and have an outrageous daily spend are quite a demanding lot. They also don't grow on trees.
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by techietraveller84 »

Alex wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:32 am
GMJS-CEO wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:10 pm I had no idea about the 11pm closing requirement in Thailand. That is great news, would be nice if they keep that permanently. I imagine that is the type of measure that would impact the type of tourists they are getting and discourage some of those they want to avoid.
They want people who spend plenty of money. While it's conceivable that some tourists would be happy to spend all their money in a shopping mall, many want a mix of activities. Even a friend's parents who stopped by in Bangkok on a cruise a few years ago wouldn't have been happy to be sent to bed at 11pm instead of slurping cocktails with me at their hotel bar till much later. And neither would their hotel have been happy.

Those well-heeled cruise ship passengers who spend just a few days in Thailand and have an outrageous daily spend are quite a demanding lot. They also don't grow on trees.
I agree with an 11PM close. Not much good happens out on the streets that late at night...especially when drunk. If you want to drink that late at your hotel, just take a bottle to your room.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic