PM lends a hand after homeless and ill German citizen criticises German Embassy for failing to help him

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

PM lends a hand after homeless and ill German citizen criticises German Embassy for failing to help him

Post by nemo »

A homeless German citizen in Cambodia has received help via PM HE after he criticised the German Embassy for failing to help him.
Martin Albert Schomacher, who has a physical illness and was sleeping on the streets, had earlier criticized his embassy in Cambodia for not taking care of him and for not helping him to go be repatriated to Germany

The 55-year-old German was discovered after being posted on Facebook and received the attention of HE, the Prime Minister of Cambodia.

He was taken by Cambodian officials to Calmette Hospital for treatment for physical illness and foot ulcers.

According to information from the Calmette Hospital, so far (the morning of March 19, 2022) Mr Schomacher has not been visited by any German Embassy officials.

During the inauguration ceremony of “SOS Children’s Village” in Prey Veng province, on the morning of Thursday, March 17, 2022, the PM instructed the German Embassy in Cambodia to visit its citizens.
The old guy keeps his eye on the details.
He has helped more than 1 barang.

These embassies seem quite useless.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: PM lends a hand after homeless and ill German citizen criticises German Embassy for failing to help him

Post by hanno »

nemo wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:28 pm These embassies seem quite useless.
I do not know the details, but normally you don't just waltz up to an embassy and ask for a ticket back home. They will help if need be, but I believe you need to work out how you are going to pay them back.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: PM lends a hand after homeless and ill German citizen criticises German Embassy for failing to help him

Post by nemo »

Photos elsewhere show this guy completely destitute with an ulcerated foot looking like it is ready to drop off his leg.
One would think his condition is compelling enough for some interest to be taken.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Saw this bloke several times over the past few weeks sleeping and rummaging through rubbish bins outside the various Embassies along Norodom, mostly the Thai, Japanese & Philippines Embassies, thought it was a bit odd that a seemingly homeless white bloke was hanging around those specific Embassies.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Probably good food thrown out there.
Albror
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by Albror »

nemo wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:28 pm
These embassies seem quite useless.
I think you have gravely misunderstood what embassies do.

Many people seem to think that they are your mommy while abroad and they will both help you stay out of jail when you commit crimes and give you money when you spent your flight ticket money of 136 hookers but sadly for those that is not the case.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

hanno wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:36 pm
I do not know the details, but normally you don't just waltz up to an embassy and ask for a ticket back home. They will help if need be, but I believe you need to work out how you are going to pay them back.
I have heard they hold your passport and return it after all monies are paid back. Essentially you are flagged from leaving your home country until you pay back the government. Not sure if all governments do this or not.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Kenr wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:53 am
hanno wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:36 pm
I have heard they hold your passport and return it after all monies are paid back. Essentially you are flagged from leaving your home country until you pay back the government. Not sure if all governments do this or not.
Most don't.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

I would see this guy sleeping in Good Time Bar on 172 a many a time.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I think a rich country such as Germany should take responsibility and get him home. How they'll recover the money spent is their problem and shouldn't be Cambodia's.

A small price to pay for the fact that projecting wealth allows Germans to travel to a great many countries with a minimum of visa hassles - it's one of the strongest passports for a reason. If the occasional deadbeat needs to be repatriated and the money cannot subsequently be recovered, just deny them a new passport as some other countries do. Simple.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic