PM lends a hand after homeless and ill German citizen criticises German Embassy for failing to help him

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: PM lends a hand after homeless and ill German citizen criticises German Embassy for failing to help him

Post by hanno »

Alex wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:23 am I think a rich country such as Germany should take responsibility and get him home. How they'll recover the money spent is their problem and shouldn't be Cambodia's.

A small price to pay for the fact that projecting wealth allows Germans to travel to a great many countries with a minimum of visa hassles - it's one of the strongest passports for a reason. If the occasional deadbeat needs to be repatriated and the money cannot subsequently be recovered, just deny them a new passport as some other countries do. Simple.
I agree in principle. I do believe that a person actually needs to ask for help before the embassy can help; I do not know if this person actually did. Either way, whilst I do understand that the embassies try and discourage people just showing up because they are looking for a free holiday, this particular case makes the embassy, and Germany, look pretty bad.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: PM lends a hand after homeless and ill German citizen criticises German Embassy for failing to help him

Post by cautious colin »

nemo wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:28 pm Image
is this the same guy that believes he is Jesus re-incarnated?
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

No- he hangs at gsm with publicans and sinnners
Albror
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by Albror »

First of all maybe criticism against the embassy from a mental unstable man living on Phnom penh streets is not the most valid?

I do agree that you should help your citizens and that its something most people would support their embassy of doing. However there is a fine line because if you help too much or are too covenient people wont take their personal responsibility. Many embassies are here for public relations and offers very limited services. They did not spend millions of dollars to help sex tourists or people who simply did not bother to care to get a free ticket home. That is not their purpose here. But as its said, its also not Cambodias problem. They should offer help to call relatives and ask for money for the ticket and if that does not work and they see that this person done what he can, then help with the ticket.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

nemo wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:33 am No- he hangs at gsm with publicans and sinnners
No, that is a different Jesus...

This guy was shouting in the middle of 172 a couple of years ago about being Jesus re-incarnated, and dying for our sins. There's a slight possibility he was off his meds.

I do remember him being a little 'larger set' before
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

Albror wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:41 am First of all maybe criticism against the embassy from a mental unstable man living on Phnom penh streets is not the most valid?

I do agree that you should help your citizens and that its something most people would support their embassy of doing. However there is a fine line because if you help too much or are too covenient people wont take their personal responsibility. Many embassies are here for public relations and offers very limited services. They did not spend millions of dollars to help sex tourists or people who simply did not bother to care to get a free ticket home. That is not their purpose here. But as its said, its also not Cambodias problem. They should offer help to call relatives and ask for money for the ticket and if that does not work and they see that this person done what he can, then help with the ticket.
Bravo 👏
Boredom is like a shroud
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

nemo wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:33 am No- he hangs at gsm with publicans and sinnners
I see what you mean... those two in the background are obviously up to no good.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Maybe a passport application should include some type of aptitude test, to determine whether the applicant has sufficient wits and common sense to be able to take care of themselves. Failure to pass that test barring the applicant from leaving their native country.
That might go some way to reduce the number of reckless fuckwits who get themselves into scrapes in foreign countries and then expecting somebody else to take care of the problem.
It’s amazing how clueless idiots are given carte blanche to travel the world, with the idea in their head that when they inevitable fuck up, their embassies will just scoop them up and whisk them off to safety.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

cautious colin wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:46 pm

This guy was shouting in the middle of 172 a couple of years ago about being Jesus re-incarnated, and dying for our sins. There's a slight possibility he was off his meds.

Yeah that is the jesus with the gilded army uniform maybe.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

nemo wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:31 pm
cautious colin wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:46 pm

Yeah that is the jesus with the gilded army uniform maybe.
Years ago he claimed that he was an Artist, yes he look it.
Boredom is like a shroud
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic