Myanmar to reopen to international tourists

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

1 hour ago
Myanmar will resume international passenger flights from April 17, the military said Saturday, lifting a two-year ban on foreign tourists.

The Southeast Asian nation closed its borders to visitors in March 2020 at the beginning of the coronavirus pandemic in an attempt to prevent rising infections.

Myanmar was further isolated after a coup last year saw huge protests and a bloody military crackdown on dissent, sending its economy -- including its tourism industry -- into freefall.

"We will open all international flights on 17 April, and can fly as regularly," said the National Central Committee on Prevention, Control and Treatment of Coronavirus Disease, citing falling Covid-19 infections.

In a statement it said the decision was "in order to improve the tourism business sector, and in order to have smooth trip for visitors who come to visit Myanmar".

Visitors will be required to quarantine for a week -- undergoing two PCR tests -- and must be fully vaccinated, according to the health ministry.

Myanmar's tourism industry was battered by the pandemic, with the country registering 40,000 daily Covid-19 cases at its peak last year. It has recorded almost 20,000 deaths in total.

Spiralling violence following the junta takeover has also dented business, with many international firms pulling out of the nation.

More than 1,600 people have been killed by security forces and over 11,000 arrested since the coup, according to a local monitoring group.

The junta indicated late last year it was moving to reopen to international visitors in 2022, hoping to take advantage of the slew of local traditional holidays.

https://www.msn.com/en-xl/news/other/my ... d=msedgntp
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Myanmar to reopen to international tourists

Post by Yobbo »

It's been on my hit list for a lot of years & don't think I will see it anytime soon.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Count me out.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

AndyKK wrote: Visitors will be required to quarantine for a week -- undergoing two PCR tests -- and must be fully vaccinated, according to the health ministry.
Dreamers....
Angkor Wat will soon be crowded like before while Bagan will remain empty.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:28 pm
AndyKK wrote: Visitors will be required to quarantine for a week -- undergoing two PCR tests -- and must be fully vaccinated, according to the health ministry.
Dreamers....
The pandemic is still with us, we talk about effected world economies, losses in goods and monetary terms, the covid numbers and that of unfortunate cases of the people who had succumb to the illnesses of the viruses, and worse, casualties who have died from the illness of Covid19.
There still are no answers to "why" this had happened in today's world, only that of theory from the tin hat brigade, without an ounce of proof, even from ongoing investigations with the science and technology advancements of today's world.
Of course, there are the few countries who have suffered more than others in this unfortunate time, but overall, Cambodia like always has had very good worldwide support throughout the period, its managed to fully vaccinate most of its population in a very short-term, with vaccine donations and medical supplies, but also on the other hand been able to fund themselves what had been needed, while its neighbours are still struggling with the basic needs from the beginning event of the world covid19 pandemic.

I could not agree with you more from your above stated quote - Dreamers....

But Cambodia cannot be compared to Myanmar's situation, firstly the conflicts ended many years ago here, thus the kingdom is at peace, where Myanmar is still under daily conflict. It would be interesting to see who does visit Myanma when its borders open, and would such visitors be seen to be in support of the needs of Junta?

Back to Cambodia! Yes, soon with the agreements of China, flights, vaccine's, business agreement's, hospitals, road building, import and export, monies for new development, money, for landmine clearings, the list is endless.
Angkor Wat will soon be crowded like it was a few years ago with the hordes of Chinese tourists. Ongoing money and repairs for the world heritage site will be funded by the many worlds donating countries. Whereas the government can take the daily entry fee profits.
If it would be like the days when the Chinese overran the sleepy coastal town in the south, where are the unwelcome barang going to move this or next time round?
Also, it has always been a question in my mind about those thoughtful western people and countries whom had given so much help in so many different ways to this country, to then have the remarks of interfering with Cambodian sovereignty. Let's face it, you nor I qualify for a 3-year EOS at the cost of $80.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

AndyKK wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:12 pm
Dreamers....
The pandemic is still with us, we talk about effected world economies, losses in goods and monetary terms, the covid numbers and that of unfortunate cases of the people who had succumb to the illnesses of the viruses, and worse, casualties who have died from the illness of Covid19.
Today I watched a John Campbell video about COVID for the first time in a long time. I watched yesterday's video in which he claims one in twenty-four people in the UK are currently suffering from a symptomatic in infection with Omicron 2B variant. Hospital admissions up a bit despite one in twenty-four infected with symptoms. It really looks like we're in the end game and COVID is becoming endemic.
AndyKK wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:12 pm There still are no answers to "why" this had happened in today's world, only that of theory from the tin hat brigade, without an ounce of proof, even from ongoing investigations with the science and technology advancements of today's world.
The 'why', while extremely interesting is irrelevant. We've been in a pandemic for two years now. That's the fact. Whether China somehow started this, by accident or not, or it started with batsoup, is anecdotal and doesn't change a single thing for you or for me
AndyKK wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:12 pm Of course, there are the few countries who have suffered more than others in this unfortunate time, but overall, Cambodia like always has had very good worldwide support throughout the period, its managed to fully vaccinate most of its population in a very short-term, with vaccine donations and medical supplies, but also on the other hand been able to fund themselves what had been needed, while its neighbours are still struggling with the basic needs from the beginning event of the world covid19 pandemic.
I agree that after an initial false start with the government in denial Cambodia has done a great job. Certain conditions in Cambodia he Ave helped.

I
AndyKK wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:12 pm not agree with you more from your above stated quote - Dreamers....

But Cambodia cannot be compared to Myanmar's situation, firstly the conflicts ended many years ago here, thus the kingdom is at peace, where Myanmar is still under daily conflict. It would be interesting to see who does visit Myanma when its borders open, and would such visitors be seen to be in support of the needs of Junta?
If they really want tourists this is not going to help. No tourist will accept a one week quarantine when countries close offer free entry

AndyKK wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:12 pm Back to Cambodia! Yes, soon with the agreements of China, flights, vaccine's, business agreement's, hospitals, road building, import and export, monies for new development, money, for landmine clearings, the list is endless.
Not sure about China. They're still struggling with this virus.
AndyKK wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:12 pm Angkor Wat will soon be crowded like it was a few years ago with the hordes of Chinese tourists. Ongoing money and repairs for the world heritage site will be funded by the many worlds donating countries. Whereas the government can take the daily entry fee profits.
If it would be like the days when the Chinese overran the sleepy coastal town in the south, where are the unwelcome barang going to move this or next time round?
Also, it has always been a question in my mind about those thoughtful western people and countries whom had given so much help in so many different ways to this country, to then have the remarks of interfering with Cambodian sovereignty. Let's face it, you nor I qualify for a 3-year EOS at the cost of $80.
You're saying Chinese qualify for an 80$ three year EOS?
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:55 pm
AndyKK wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:12 pm
Dreamers....
Today I watched a John Campbell video about COVID for the first time in a long time. I watched yesterday's video in which he claims one in twenty-four people in the UK are currently suffering from a symptomatic in infection with Omicron 2B variant. Hospital admissions up a bit despite one in twenty-four infected with symptoms. It really looks like we're in the end game and COVID is becoming endemic.
AndyKK wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:12 pm There still are no answers to "why" this had happened in today's world, only that of theory from the tin hat brigade, without an ounce of proof, even from ongoing investigations with the science and technology advancements of today's world.
The 'why', while extremely interesting is irrelevant. We've been in a pandemic for two years now. That's the fact. Whether China somehow started this, by accident or not, or it started with batsoup, is anecdotal and doesn't change a single thing for you or for me
AndyKK wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:12 pm Of course, there are the few countries who have suffered more than others in this unfortunate time, but overall, Cambodia like always has had very good worldwide support throughout the period, its managed to fully vaccinate most of its population in a very short-term, with vaccine donations and medical supplies, but also on the other hand been able to fund themselves what had been needed, while its neighbours are still struggling with the basic needs from the beginning event of the world covid19 pandemic.
I agree that after an initial false start with the government in denial Cambodia has done a great job. Certain conditions in Cambodia he Ave helped.

I
AndyKK wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:12 pm not agree with you more from your above stated quote - Dreamers....

If they really want tourists this is not going to help. No tourist will accept a one week quarantine when countries close offer free entry

AndyKK wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:12 pm Back to Cambodia! Yes, soon with the agreements of China, flights, vaccine's, business agreement's, hospitals, road building, import and export, monies for new development, money, for landmine clearings, the list is endless.
Not sure about China. They're still struggling with this virus.
AndyKK wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:12 pm Angkor Wat will soon be crowded like it was a few years ago with the hordes of Chinese tourists. Ongoing money and repairs for the world heritage site will be funded by the many worlds donating countries. Whereas the government can take the daily entry fee profits.
You're saying Chinese qualify for an 80$ three year EOS?
My daughter-in-law is a covid nurse, and now is isolated at home with covid. Her husband and my son as had to live outside the family home because he needs to carry on working to pay the household bills. Why should this be, because simply she will not get enough sick pay to pay the bills.
Who decides to end a pandemic? Is it the number of people who are sick that decides, or is it the populations who say enough, and put an end to this and have an endemic stage? If so, it should have been done a year back.

Quote - You're saying Chinese qualify for an 80$ three year EOS?
It was something I read sometime, PDS Kiwi would be better giving you an answer.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

AndyKK wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:47 pm Who decides to end a pandemic? Is it the number of people who are sick that decides, or is it the populations who say enough, and put an end to this and have an endemic stage? If so, it should have been done a year back.
In Cambodia the prime minister did.

Not sure it was a good decision a year ago......
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:05 pm
AndyKK wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:47 pm Who decides to end a pandemic? Is it the number of people who are sick that decides, or is it the populations who say enough, and put an end to this and have an endemic stage? If so, it should have been done a year back.
In Cambodia the prime minister did.

Not sure it was a good decision a year ago......
That's the thing, who is sure?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic