English Teaching Job in PP

This is our job board for expats. Until ZipRecruiter and Indeed make their way to the Kingdom of Wonder, this is the best place to look for employment in Cambodia, whether you're looking to teach English, manage a 5-star hotel, volunteer, or even work for some of the big NGOs. Even digital nomads who move to Cambodia sometimes need a side gig as a TEFL instructor from time to time. Most professional expatriate jobs are in Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap and Kampot are emerging as attractive alternatives. If you're an employer or hiring manager, you're also welcome to post your job listing here for free.
BleedingBlue
Expatriate
Great Britain

English Teaching Job in PP

Post by BleedingBlue »

I've been offered a job to teach English at Westview Cambodian International School which I'm considering.
I have a Psychology degree and CELTA certificate. The school is offering 1800 USD after tax.
Is this a liveable salary for PP? I'm not too bothered about saving money, we'd like to enjoy our time there and focus on saving money at future jobs in VN. That being said, with my qualifications would it be possible to find a higher paying job?
My partner is a teacher too and will look for work there - she's a non native speaker, white, 25 and speaks with a British accent. She has an English Teaching degree and CELTA - will she be able to find work?
violet
Expatriate

Re: English Teaching Job in PP

Post by violet »

BleedingBlue wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:04 pm I've been offered a job to teach English at Westview Cambodian International School which I'm considering.
I have a Psychology degree and CELTA certificate. The school is offering 1800 USD after tax.
Is this a liveable salary for PP? I'm not too bothered about saving money, we'd like to enjoy our time there and focus on saving money at future jobs in VN. That being said, with my qualifications would it be possible to find a higher paying job?
My partner is a teacher too and will look for work there - she's a non native speaker, white, 25 and speaks with a British accent. She has an English Teaching degree and CELTA - will she be able to find work?
1.Yes, a liveable salary.
2. Possibly. Try ACE.
3. Yes
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I've never heard of "Westview International School". I think you could find something much better with your qualifications.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Have you read some of the posts here, you could put your degree to good use by the means of counseling helping people suffering from addiction and other behavioral disorders by offering treatment and advice, it would probably be more beneficial in Kampot and Phnom Penh. Where there seems to be anger issues in the bars, knocking down defenceless women and ex pie salesmen wanting to fight with anyone.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
BleedingBlue
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by BleedingBlue »

AndyKK wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:51 pm Have you read some of the posts here, you could put your degree to good use by the means of counseling helping people suffering from addiction and other behavioral disorders by offering treatment and advice, it would probably be more beneficial in Kampot and Phnom Penh. Where there seems to be anger issues in the bars, knocking down defenceless women and ex pie salesmen wanting to fight with anyone.
I am in no way qualified to offer such services. I hold a BSc, not a Masters.
BleedingBlue
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by BleedingBlue »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:48 pm I've never heard of "Westview International School". I think you could find something much better with your qualifications.
OK I'll keep looking then.
BleedingBlue
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by BleedingBlue »

violet wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:29 pm
BleedingBlue wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:04 pm I've been offered a job to teach English at Westview Cambodian International School which I'm considering.
2. Possibly. Try ACE.
3. Yes
Thanks I've just applied.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

BleedingBlue wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:58 pm
violet wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:29 pm
2. Possibly. Try ACE.
3. Yes
Thanks I've just applied.

You don't mention which countries you've previously taught in.

Hopefully, you're aware that teaching jobs in Southeast Asia are more then just "x amount of dollars after tax", i.e. nightmares of a serious degree are also possible at many if not most "$¢hoo£$". Do your due diligence before signing up for anything before arriving.

Regarding your partner, of course she can find teaching work. Contacting some schools as you have done is always a good first step.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

sigmoid wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:43 pm Do your due diligence before signing up for anything before arriving.
Your school claims to be CIS certfied. Cant find it on the website of CIS.

https://www.cois.org/membership-directory
work is for people who cant find truffles
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic