English Teaching Job in PP

This is our job board for expats. Until ZipRecruiter and Indeed make their way to the Kingdom of Wonder, this is the best place to look for employment in Cambodia, whether you're looking to teach English, manage a 5-star hotel, volunteer, or even work for some of the big NGOs. Even digital nomads who move to Cambodia sometimes need a side gig as a TEFL instructor from time to time. Most professional expatriate jobs are in Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap and Kampot are emerging as attractive alternatives. If you're an employer or hiring manager, you're also welcome to post your job listing here for free.
BleedingBlue
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: English Teaching Job in PP

Post by BleedingBlue »

sigmoid wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:43 pm
BleedingBlue wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:58 pm
violet wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:29 pm
BleedingBlue wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:04 pm I've been offered a job to teach English at Westview Cambodian International School which I'm considering.
I have a Psychology degree and CELTA certificate. The school is offering 1800 USD after tax.
Is this a liveable salary for PP? I'm not too bothered about saving money, we'd like to enjoy our time there and focus on saving money at future jobs in VN. That being said, with my qualifications would it be possible to find a higher paying job?
My partner is a teacher too and will look for work there - she's a non native speaker, white, 25 and speaks with a British accent. She has an English Teaching degree and CELTA - will she be able to find work?
1.Yes, a liveable salary.
2. Possibly. Try ACE.
3. Yes
Thanks I've just applied.

You don't mention which countries you've previously taught in.

Hopefully, you're aware that teaching jobs in Southeast Asia are more then just "x amount of dollars after tax", i.e. nightmares of a serious degree are also possible at many if not most "$¢hoo£$". Do your due diligence before signing up for anything before arriving.

Regarding your partner, of course she can find teaching work. Contacting some schools as you have done is always a good first step.
1 year in Russia, 2 in Poland.
Are you referring to problems regarding timely payments or more school politics?
Trying to do as much research as possible before signing but there's little information about the school online. Can't seem to find any reviews by former employees.
TopOnlineOnline
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

BleedingBlue wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:47 pm
sigmoid wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:43 pm

You don't mention which countries you've previously taught in.

Hopefully, you're aware that teaching jobs in Southeast Asia are more then just "x amount of dollars after tax", i.e. nightmares of a serious degree are also possible at many if not most "$¢hoo£$". Do your due diligence before signing up for anything before arriving.

Regarding your partner, of course she can find teaching work. Contacting some schools as you have done is always a good first step.
1 year in Russia, 2 in Poland.
Are you referring to problems regarding timely payments or more school politics?
Trying to do as much research as possible before signing but there's little information about the school online. Can't seem to find any reviews by former employees.
TopOnlineOnline
Sounds like a newly opened "international" school or one that has recently changed their name for "marketing purposes". Bit of a red flag, eh?

Anyway, I imagine that there are some dodgy schools in Poland and Russia but in Cambodia, etc., it's mostly all about the money unless you're working at an actual IB international school. So, schools try to get away with whatever they can in terms of cutting costs such as hiring unqualified staff (not you), poor facilities, lack of equipment/materials, etc. Some places will also have office politics, power-tripping admin, alcoholic headmasters, psychopathic colleagues on dope. The country is still pretty "wild west".

Check out the Newsworthy Forum:
newsworthy/

Not to put you off but maybe hold off on signing anything until you arrive. If you're on Facebook, have a look at this and similar groups to do some focused networking with actual teachers on the ground:

English Teaching Jobs Cambodia
https://www.facebook.com/groups/622502602309736
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

I thought an Education degree was the requirement for Top tier schools? especially so for an IB school?
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

truffledog wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:46 am
sigmoid wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:43 pm Do your due diligence before signing up for anything before arriving.
Your school claims to be CIS certfied. Cant find it on the website of CIS.

https://www.cois.org/membership-directory
Then you didn’t look very hard. In the search field for country select Cambodia.
Hit submit and there’s 2 pages of results. The school in question is on page 2.

It lists a total enrolment of 128 students but under “CIS accredited” it says No.
So I am guessing they are applying for membership but haven’t actually been accepted yet.
Yearly tuition fees are listed as 8k which seems high??
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

IraHayes wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 5:34 am
truffledog wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:46 am
sigmoid wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:43 pm Do your due diligence before signing up for anything before arriving.
Your school claims to be CIS certfied. Cant find it on the website of CIS.

https://www.cois.org/membership-directory
Then you didn’t look very hard. In the search field for country select Cambodia.
Hit submit and there’s 2 pages of results. The school in question is on page 2.

It lists a total enrolment of 128 students but under “CIS accredited” it says No.
So I am guessing they are applying for membership but haven’t actually been accepted yet.
Yearly tuition fees are listed as 8k which seems high??
Well, claiming to be accredited while in the process would be a reason not to accredit I guess.
I worked at an IB accredited school in the Netherlands until 2009 and pulling tricks like this (or hiring CELTA accredited teachers) was out of the question. But thi$ i$ Cambodia.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

Teaching in this part of the world is a mostly easy gig that pays enough to live a comfortable lifestyle and save money every month.

However there are some downsides.

They are lack of teaching materials, poorly equipped classrooms and totally disinterested rich kid students but the biggest issue of all is in fact jumped up turd losers who have ended up in management out here and actually believe their own hype.

As a result they are totally unrealistic about what they want out of you as a teacher and will demand all sorts of nonsense while wallowing in their own self importance. So watch out for them. There seems to be one at every school.

Also with your qualifications I would recommend Vietnam. There are far more schools to work at, they pay more, Vietnam is cheaper than everywhere else in the region and there is more to do as well.

Good luck.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Khmu Nation wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 7:46 am Teaching in this part of the world is a mostly easy gig that pays enough to live a comfortable lifestyle and save money every month.

However there are some downsides.

They are lack of teaching materials, poorly equipped classrooms and totally disinterested rich kid students but the biggest issue of all is in fact jumped up turd losers who have ended up in management out here and actually believe their own hype.

As a result they are totally unrealistic about what they want out of you as a teacher and will demand all sorts of nonsense while wallowing in their own self importance. So watch out for them. There seems to be one at every school.

Also with your qualifications I would recommend Vietnam. There are far more schools to work at, they pay more, Vietnam is cheaper than everywhere else in the region and there is more to do as well.

Good luck.
Some conflicting points here. And while I agree with the statements you make when taken individually you seem to draw a false equivalence somehow.

So breaking it down

Statement 1:
Teaching in this part of the world is a mostly easy gig that pays enough to live a comfortable lifestyle and save money every month.
Yep, agreed.

Statement 2:
Again, this is about right.

But then we move to the false equivalence where you say ..
they are totally unrealistic about what they want out of you as a teacher and will demand all sorts of nonsense while wallowing in their own self importance.
Sorry but if the teacher is coasting and making no effort (see statement #1) then should they not be pulled up on their attitude, laziness or lack of ability??
You can't have it both ways.
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ego bibere nimis »

Huh? If you rented a dump (and it will be a dump) for say $200 per month, that leaves $400 a week. Insurance, electricity, food, transport. Yeah livin' the dream. Jeez. You did mention no need to save, so that's a blessing.

If both of you are working, then it will be more than OK. One salary both of you though, would be tough yards.
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

ego bibere nimis wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:17 pm Teaching in this part of the world is a mostly easy gig that pays enough to live a comfortable lifestyle and save money every month.

Huh? If you rented a dump (and it will be a dump) for say $200 per month, that leaves $400 a week. Insurance, electricity, food, transport. Yeah livin' the dream. Jeez. You did mention no need to save, so that's a blessing.

If both of you are working, then it will be more than OK. One salary both of you though, would be tough yards.
If the starting point is the quoted $1800 a month, then the weekly is $369.23 after rent.

Nowhere near having a good life here and certainly no holidays or even going home once a year.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic